Female Record Collector's

Sanquine

Having conversation recently with a mate - won't name n shame - have accepted his apology, drink's and effort's to make amends :rolleyes:

Women shouldn't collect record's - a man's thing :lol: was basically the statement made.

Can't post what I said, but having collected record's most of my life, was f----ed off to say the least - felt I'd gone back 25 yrs to the day's men didn't talk record's with women.

Got me thinking - do some of you men secretly/openly believe record collecting to be a man's thing only....... come on be honest - but remember you may meet me one day and end up buying me load's of drink's too.. :lol:

Karen

Social source share

• Replies 80
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Having conversation recently with a mate - won't name n shame - have accepted his apology, drink's and effort's to make amends :rolleyes:

Women shouldn't collect record's - a man's thing :lol: was basically the statement made.

Can't post what I said, but having collected record's most of my life, was f----ed off to say the least - felt I'd gone back 25 yrs to the day's men didn't talk record's with women.

Got me thinking - do some of you men secretly/openly believe record collecting to be a man's thing only....... come on be honest - but remember you may meet me one day and end up buying me load's of drink's too.. :lol:

Karen

It's a 'Soul' thing and i strongly feel it has very little to do with gender, ladies like yourself Karen, Jo Wallace, Val Palmer, maybe Sue Brick...lol, Kim Cooke, Sister Dawn, Catriona Smith, Miss Popcorn, Dawn Brown, Sharnya Hale, Jumping Joan and many more can give us guys a run for our money...lol it's about passion for the records and again has bugger all to do with gender...this has inspired me to invite a few female collector DJ's onto my show, might be a nice way to prove and confirm it's just not a man thing...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Slight edit here before i get into trouble....lol

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Reminds me of the time I said to Niamh Lynch "It's all very cute and that, but really...Girl's can't be Mods"

I was running scared for months!

But really Mark..Sue Brick!

:rolleyes::lol:

Social source share

Thought Sue had a tasty collection going on or have i got that wrong.....sorry Sue...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

No, she has. I just like it when she hits me :rolleyes:

Social source share

I think women djs have made great strides on the NS scene in the last 15 years or so. I would have to be honest & say that record bars in the 70's were strictly a male preserve. the gals just didn't tend to venture in there. if I wanted to find my then girlfriend, I didn't have to look very far. she would always be rabbiting with friends at a table or giving it some on the dancefloor. oh' yeah, & there was always the playing with your earlobe thing when you were on a downer, in spite of icy glares & general obnoxiousness from me. who else had to endure that?

Social source share

I'm currently in the middle of sorting out a set for tomorrow's allnighter.

Usually I'll just throw my favourite 200 records in a box and decide when I get there but my bird insisted that I sorted out some sort of set this time or else "You'll just get pissed and play the same 30 stompers you always play"

As much as I try to protest I have only once, in a fit of pique, let her sort out a set for me, "You sort the early one then and we'll see how that goes down" I said, being oh so cocksure that it would bomb, midtempo bolloc*s...

4 people, including Kenny and Ady said "That's the best set I've heard you do" after it. I must admit she has got it right.

:rolleyes:

So, if you're at New Century tomorrow and you like the first half. Say nothing! If you like the second half SHOUT your heads off! (The beers are on me!)

:lol:

Social source share

Don't know about collecting, my old lady is just content to listen but if she ever conveyed as much passion about collecting vinyl as she does about footie - in the words of a top song " I would gracefully step aside".

Come on Rod the 21st century is not that bad - give it a go.

Social source share

Got me thinking - do some of you men secretly/openly believe record collecting to be a man's thing only....... come on be honest - but remember you may meet me one day and end up buying me load's of drink's too.. :D

Karen

Paula Radcliffe has a few records doesn't she?

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

I find that females that take an interest in tunes, labels, collecting etc, like my good chum Sanquine, do so with just as much passion and interest as chaps do, and they are MUCH nicer to look at! :lol::rolleyes: More of 'em I say!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Female record collectors... let me see....

Well I've been on the scene for around 25 years or so... collected records for a good 20 of those years.... oh... and I'm female... well.. sort of.. :lol:

Anyway... here's what i think about women on the scene... niters.. collecting.. DJing etc...

Ok... there will always be certain situations in life where a man will be able to do something better than a woman...

Men are stronger than women are (as a rule) and will therefore be better at things that require physical strength...

Record collecting... however... is not one of them.

Thinking about it... apart from the strength thing... i can only think of one thing that men do better than women... and that is their ability to have a piss standing up! :D

To be taken seriously on this scene... respected for your knowledge... your records... and your passion and love for soul music has never been easy... whether you are male or female.

I have had one major name DJ/record dealer shut his box on me saying "a mans got to do what a mans got to do" and to "run along and get myself a part time job in a patisserie"... wtf?

Surprisingly I chose to ignore that little 24-carat nugget of testosterone induced wisdom.

There is an old saying... respect needs to be earned... and boy, this applies to the soul scene like no other.

But as long as YOU know that you have soul... that you love soul... that you are dedicated, genuine and humble... have respect for others... but most of all for yourself... then NOBODY can say you shouldn't be on the soul scene... or collecting records... or DJing... if that's what you want to do.

Least of all some jumped up gimp sat behind a record box... with his head so far up his own arse he can brush his back teeth.

Most record dealers... I am happy to say... are not like that.

Male ... Female... what does it matter... it's what's in your boxes not in your boxers that counts!

You'll be saying records by female artists have no place on the scene next... :rolleyes::lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Do some of you men secretly/openly believe record collecting to be a man's thing only

...Personally, I don't give a pig's burp what gender, creed, colour or sexual orientation my fellow collectors are. As long as someone realises the value of music -- and that music doesn't even bave to be soul, BTW - and she, or he, wants to preserves it for posterity, that'll do for me. Frankly, the thought that women might somehow be regarded as inferior in that respect had never even entered my mind till I saw Karen's original post, either....

TONE :rolleyes:

Social source share

but isn't it fabulous when you're sat with a big know it all collector/ wannabe DJ type chappie - a fabulous in demand hard to get tune gets played, and you say "I've got this" and "have you heard the other side, or so and so's version" Sad little chappies face usually drops.... from my chest to his feet :D

anyway, theres still a couple of records that I want and need....

Social source share

Having conversation recently with a mate - won't name n shame - have accepted his apology, drink's and effort's to make amends :D

Women shouldn't collect record's - a man's thing :D was basically the statement made.

Got me thinking - do some of you men secretly/openly believe record collecting to be a man's thing only....... come on be honest - but remember you may meet me one day and end up buying me load's of drink's too.. wink.gif

Karen

I would like 2 see more females DJs at venus 1 of the best nights i've enjoyed lately was at the 100 club thats got knocked on the head 2 much competition out there isn't it Ady maybe 1 before the end of the year. Billy

Social source share

I was just going to say that if Karen went and made us all a nice cuppa tea, then us lads could have a chat amongst ourselves and hopefully come up with some ideas.

ROD

How bout you lad's make me a lovely cuppa, while I look through your record's :D

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

I, of course, have no negative views on female collectors. It's never crossed my mind. Married as I am to an extremely independent and successful harridan[sorry, meant to say "woman"]I am well on the way to being reconstructed as a household drudge[sorry, that should read "new man"].

In fact I can entirely sympathise with female collectors. Whilst for instance were I to buy Fascinators and George Blackwell it would cost me a lot less than my female counterpart because I would not need the matching shoes and handbag in yellow and blue.

ROD

Social source share

My wife says I should disassociate myself from Mischief's post as it makes a mockery of what were my earlier sincere and heartfelt concerns as to the financial disadvantage that female collectors do face.

Did I mention the outlay on new curtains and cushion cover accessories. That shade of blue for the Smoke label is so difficult to find. Many times I've had to trawl round the shops for 8 hours with Pol Pot[sorry,that should be Clare - sticky keys] looking for just that right tint only to find that it was in the first shop we went into.

Oh, how we laughed!!

ROD

Social source share

My wife has had an op on her knee.. we was going to a wedding and she needed new shoes.. 2 hours I pushed her round bluewater in a wheel chair looking at shoes.. and i know she can't bend her leg so everyshop we went in I bent down and placed the shoes on her feet..

When we got to John Lewis she jumped out the chair and hopped over to the Mulberry handbags telling me what ione she wanted!!! :Dlaugh.gif 2 hours I was pushing that bloody chair...

On a sensible note... its good that the ladies collect as well.. I can imagine it could be expensive if both partners collect... where do you go to lend money from when your out? Who gets what record, who see it first or who wanted it first..

Social source share

Hoped some of you guy's would be buying me drink's for the next few month's so I could save my money to buy more record's :thumbsup:

Seriously, thank's for your replie's and glad mate's comment's were a one off wink.gif

Nice bag Mischief - do they do one in red.. :lol:

You've been very quite Chalk's...not like you wink.gif

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Hoped some of you guy's would be buying me drink's for the next few month's so I could save my money to buy more record's :thumbsup:

Seriously, thank's for your replie's and glad mate's comment's were a one off wink.gif

Nice bag Mischief - do they do one in red.. :lol:

You've been very quite Chalk's...not like you laugh.gif

Karen

I'm always quiet me wink.gif

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I think women djs have made great strides on the NS scene in the last 15 years or so. I would have to be honest & say that record bars in the 70's were strictly a male preserve. the gals just didn't tend to venture in there. if I wanted to find my then girlfriend, I didn't have to look very far. she would always be rabbiting with friends at a table or giving it some on the dancefloor. oh' yeah, & there was always the playing with your earlobe thing when you were on a downer, in spite of icy glares & general obnoxiousness from me. who else had to endure that?

Sorry Macca...I know I'm only 5ft 3 but I was in the record bar at Wigan and other venues in the 7Ts and a resident dj at Bogarts in the very early 8Ts with Keith Rylatt....Like I've said before - who cares if you've got a cock or tits n fanny - it's what's in the groove that counts... :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

My wife has had an op on her knee.. we was going to a wedding and she needed new shoes.. 2 hours I pushed her round bluewater in a wheel chair looking at shoes.. and i know she can't bend her leg so everyshop we went in I bent down and placed the shoes on her feet..

When we got to John Lewis she jumped out the chair and hopped over to the Mulberry handbags telling me what ione she wanted!!! :lol:wink.gif 2 hours I was pushing that bloody chair...

On a sensible note... its good that the ladies collect as well.. I can imagine it could be expensive if both partners collect... where do you go to lend money from when your out? Who gets what record, who see it first or who wanted it first..

LOL Mischief...Mrs Mischief ain't silly wink.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Who gets the records....simple - ME. Always has been, always will be....MEMEMEMEMEME :yes: Call me selfish, call me self centred but the vinyl has, is and always will be MINE...those are the 10 Commandments of Vinyl - given to men by I, Jo Wallace laugh.gif

I'm always quiet me :yes:

Yeah right :P Still no news on Kell, Chalks :( Sorry....Jo

Female Record collectors :thumbsup: not a problem and heres some thing to keep them in :)

Me....I prefer my leopard print 50 box with the handy mirror in the lid so I can re-apply my lipstick whilst dj'ing :D Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Of course females can be record collectors & Dj's !

Some very respected girl collectors/DJ's from Down Under : Samantha Goldie, Alex White, Maria Orlovic ........

Good God...they'll be giving them the vote next.... :thumbsup: LOL....

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I, of course, have no negative views on female collectors. It's never crossed my mind. Married as I am to an extremely independent and successful harridan[sorry, meant to say "woman"]I am well on the way to being reconstructed as a household drudge[sorry, that should read "new man"].

In fact I can entirely sympathise with female collectors. Whilst for instance were I to buy Fascinators and George Blackwell it would cost me a lot less than my female counterpart because I would not need the matching shoes and handbag in yellow and blue.

ROD

Rod...you're very sad...don't you realise that matching shoes and handbags are the price of a half decent record :thumbsup: Get your priorities right, man....repeat after me - shopping other than for vinyl is for the abnormals amongst us... :lol: Jo

Social source share

It's a 'Soul' thing and i strongly feel it has very little to do with gender, ladies like yourself Karen, Jo Wallace, Val Palmer, maybe Sue Brick...lol, Kim Cooke, Sister Dawn, Catriona Smith, Miss Popcorn, Dawn Brown, Sharnya Hale, Jumping Joan and many more can give us guys a run for our money...lol it's about passion for the records and again has bugger all to do with gender...this has inspired me to invite a few female collector DJ's onto my show, might be a nice way to prove and confirm it's just not a man thing...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Slight edit here before i get into trouble....lol

Dont include me, I dont collect, I just buy pink ones cos theyre cute.

I would of replied earlier but I had girl work to do. :thumbsup:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Social source share

Of course females can be record collectors & Dj's

Some very respected girl collectors/DJ's from Down Under : Samantha Goldie, Alex White, Maria Orlovic ........

I was never "respected" :thumbsup: , but I think I know what you mean (ps. who are you sunnysoul??? - PM me pls). For many years it was usual to have 3 or 4 females on the decks at a Sydney soul night, and it was no big deal to expect either a Bruce or Betty up there. (Politics hit later when tastes broadened and there were more and more djs)

I had a rude shock in the uk, a time warp actually and I've said "f*** off" lots Karen sad.gif

I sometimes wandered through record dealer boxes when I visited the uk a few years ago, but don't really bother since I moved here permanently a couple of years ago (although I still collect). It's just nauseating hearing constant rude comments on a night out. Guys think they are so smart and funny when they say a woman shouldn't have records, or think it's a compliment to say that you have good records for a woman, or ask you why you aren't dancing to your man's dj set, or call you someone's "mrs" (which is extreemly insulting back home, both to the woman and her man), ..or think they should have a pat on the back for putting a female dj on, or ... etc.

AND women who moan about not getting a break because they're women - do more harm than good (and wind me up bigtime )

Truth is, it stops being an issue when the balance is there and it stops cropping up as such a reoccuring topic. But it's a hard task inviting positive distrimination - like the politicians now defending how many women their party has in winning seats and how many more they will bring in (pass me the sick bag please)

Good luck to those who want to be the role models for all that confusing mess (and remember that a thick skin is great practice for those comments when you're on the decks :lol: ) . As much as I dreadfully miss playing out regularly, I would hate to be one of those gals named above. - Have had enough of that bull dust working in the construction industry, so don't need the hassle on my time off tongue.gif

Ignore the little f**kers and just get on with it biggrin.gif

m

Social source share

Sorry Macca...I know I'm only 5ft 3 but I was in the record bar at Wigan and other venues in the 7Ts and a resident dj at Bogarts in the very early 8Ts with Keith Rylatt....Like I've said before - who cares if you've got a cock or tits n fanny - it's what's in the groove that counts... :thumbsup: Jo

I don't want to appear chauvinist jo, 'cos I'm not. perhaps I should have used 'mainly a male preserve' instead of 'strictly'. I do think you would have been conspicuous by your presence in record bars back then. & of course, you're right about the grooves.

best,

macca

Social source share

I don't want to appear chauvinist jo, 'cos I'm not. perhaps I should have used 'mainly a male preserve' instead of 'strictly'. I do think you would have been conspicuous by your presence in record bars back then. & of course, you're right about the grooves.

best,

macca

But was she selling? Or visiting?

Been curious - Female Record Dealers

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

When we got to John Lewis she jumped out the chair and hopped over to the Mulberry handbags telling me what ione she wanted!!! :unsure::thumbsup: 2 hours I was pushing that bloody chair...

Hi Mischief,

how is Emma and her knee doing, back to normal i hope and soon to be dancing the night away as usual, by the way wasnt that the bag you had your records in at Camber this year, and as for pushing Emma around Bluewater for 2 hours makes me wonder why a woman who cant walk would need a new pair of shoes ? surely only the one would be needed and if your devious enough you could nick the one on display. i thinks she been giving you the right runaround and getting her own back for all the times she waits on you hand and foot (no pun intended).

anyway back to the thread,

Would`nt a woman prefer boots and look only at the label !!!! :thumbsup:

Bearsy. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Having conversation recently with a mate - won't name n shame - have accepted his apology, drink's and effort's to make amends :no:

Women shouldn't collect record's - a man's thing ph34r.gif was basically the statement made.

Karen

================

Bloody Chalky :ohmy:

Social source share

Having conversation recently with a mate - won't name n shame - have accepted his apology, drink's and effort's to make amends :thumbsup:

Women shouldn't collect record's - a man's thing :D was basically the statement made.

Got me thinking - do some of you men secretly/openly believe record collecting to be a man's thing only....... come on be honest - but remember you may meet me one day and end up buying me load's of drink's too.. :D

Karen

===============

Not sure it's particularly relevant Karen, but noticed that most of the girls who DJ/Collect, mentioned through the thread also dance do you think that may lead to females having a better understanding of what the dancefloor wants?

Social source share

===============

Not sure it's particularly relevant Karen, but noticed that most of the girls who DJ/Collect, mentioned through the thread also dance do you think that may lead to females having a better understanding of what the dancefloor wants?

I dont think it matters if a DJ dances or not, be it male or female, your either a good jock or not.

Soul Sam doesn't dance, does that mean he doesn't have an understanding of the floor?

All depends on the type of crowd IMO

Social source share

Having conversation recently with a mate - won't name n shame - have accepted his apology, drink's and effort's to make amends :thumbsup:

Karen

Karen,My partner loves collecting records and selling infact she has a bigger collection than me :D and has recently djayed at Lea Manor and previously at the Steam last yr and would love to do more djaying so good luck to her nothing to do with gender IMO.

Malc...

Social source share

I dont think it matters if a DJ dances or not, be it male or female, your either a good jock or not.

Soul Sam doesn't dance, does that mean he doesn't have an understanding of the floor?

All depends on the type of crowd IMO

===============

He doesn't dance but he's always jigging about behind the decks :D Not saying it does matter or not, just saying that dancing may be considered secondary by some DJs, but don't think you could ever level that accusation at a female DJ, cos in general they enjoy dancing as much as collecting. Maybe it's true men just don't multi task well. Karen asked a serious question and I think she's probably right some men probably don't consider women of an equal status, in any field, but it would be very un PC to say that. If you narrow it down to just record collecting, you can just hear some guys saying "She spends so much time on the dance floor, how can she possibly know what's good or not". I'll make it clear not all guys think that, but if you think none do..................... :D

Hence asking does she or any other girl, think dancing may impact on some peoples ability to take them seriously as collectors/DJs

As I said in the initial post, may not be relevant, just throwing something out there :thumbsup:

Social source share

the chauvanistic attitudes of some of you fellas stinks :thumbsup: ...its one of the reasons i dont dj much anymore...but a lot of us women know more than yer average bloke and...a bloody big and...we dont strive for the same records as most men because we have to stick out like the proverbial thumb to get noticed....we will leave the fellas to the top 20 played out oldies.....

gettin me coat :D

cookie :D

Social source share

the chauvanistic attitudes of some of you fellas stinks :thumbsup: ...its one of the reasons i dont dj much anymore...but a lot of us women know more than yer average bloke and...a bloody big and...we dont strive for the same records as most men because we have to stick out like the proverbial thumb to get noticed....we will leave the fellas to the top 20 played out oldies.....

gettin me coat :D

cookie :D

==============

Not sure who this is aimed at, but would like to reiterate I was asking questions, not reflecting my own viewpoint

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!