Ian Gee RIP

Tezza

First met Ian 15 years ago, got on with him instantly. He had so much knowledge about soul and always had time to discuss it. We started Ramsbottom Cricket Club 11 years ago and Ian was our first guest DJ. He arrived with all his troupes, and boy did they set the place alight. We have so many happy memories with the "Soul Master". He used to stay at our house, saved him driving all the way to Chesterfield. The first time he stayed, he says to me, Des, is it OK I've got 3 dogs with me, we didn't have a dog. My youngest son Dean comes home, half cooked,  to be greeted by the dogs, he nearly had a heart attack. After our soul nights we used to sit at the table and laugh for ages before we went to bed.He was a very special person to me Bev and our boys. We were honored to call him a friend and will miss him dearly. 

Ian,No longer suffering. God bless you Bro, set heaven alight with your uptempo classics. People call me Diamond, but to us you were the "real GEM",miss you always.

Des & Bev.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Lloyd DJIANGEE

We can confirm our Dad Ian "CHOC" Gellaty and DJ IAN GEE as his northern soul mates knew him as funeral will be held at BRIMINGTON CREMATORIUM CHESTERFIELD WEDNESDAY 2ND MARCH 15.30

Would you please like and share this post to get the word out because we know he had alot of friends from all over the country. We have arranged it for later in the day to give people a better chance of making it.

We would ask for no flowers but instead donations to the ashgate hospice please. I will be speaking with them today to see what we have to do in regards to this.

We are just waiting to confirm where the wake will be held so will let you know asap. We can tell you that it will have a northern soul theme to it like our Dad wanted with his best pal Carl Piper on the decks playing some northern soul in his memory. To all of his friends from the northern soul scene we would ask you if you could please come in your best northern soul gear for the funeral aswell as the wake like he wanted. And treat it as a northern soul do celebrating his life in style. It was his life and he adored it.

Any queries please dont hesitate to contact us.

Thank you so much for your support.

Lloyd and Jack

Social source share

I didn't know Ian personally but like many had the pleasure of hearing him Dj which was always something to look forward to. Someone once told me you can measure a man by the reputation given by his friends so judging by the thread he was in every way a gentleman and someone it was a gift to know. Condolences to his family and friends .R.I.P Ian

• Helpful 2
Social source share

PLEASE SHARE THIS 

Message from Ian's Son Lloyd :-

We can confirm our Dad Ian "CHOC" Gellatly and DJ IAN GEE as his northern soul mates knew him as funeral will be held at BRIMINGTON CREMATORIUM WEDNESDAY 2ND MARCH 15.30 please could you try to arrive a little bit before.

Would you please like and share this status to get the word out because we know he had alot of friends from all over the country. We have arranged it for later in the day to give people a better chance of making it.

We would ask for no flowers but instead donations to the ashgate hospice please. I will be speaking with them today to see what we have to do in regards to this.

We are just waiting to confirm where the wake will be held so will let you know asap. We can tell you that it will have a northern soul theme to it like our Dad wanted with his best pal Carl Piper on the decks playing some northern soul in his memory. To all of his friends from the northern soul scene we would ask you if you could please come in your best northern soul gear to both the funeral and the wake like he wanted. And treat it as a northern soul do celebrating his life in style. It was his life and he adored it.

And please if you are a friend of ours but never had the pleasure with our Dad please come along, as a friend of ours was a friend of our Dads.

Thank you so much for your support.

Lloyd and Jack

Love Sam Evans 

12764351_10153837980028400_983212304785881267_o.jpg

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Like Ronnie & Fran above, on Saturday we were honoured to be part of Des 'Diamond' Jones touching and heartfelt tribute to his fellow gem of a guy and friend to all he shared his love of the soul scene with, Ian Gee.  

Ian, we loved every night that you set the dance floor alight for us to dance till we dropped, yet you still took time out to chat and care about all your soul friends around you - it's clear from all these messages that we're not on our own in the sadness at hearing the news of your lost battle which you fought so bravely for so long.  

But now you're no longer in pain, rest in peace Ian and keep on keeping on for the rest of our lost soul family xx

You will be missed and never forgotten xx Karen and Graeme xx

Edited by soulkaz200
Error with imoji
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Lloyd DJIANGEE

Hi guys & girls

The wake will be held at the dunston pub at the end of our dads road after the funeral. Be great to meet some of our Dads friends from the northern soul scene. Our Dads best mate Carl Piper will be playing some northern in his honour & if anyone else would like to bring there records to play some in our Dads honour we would be more than happy.

Lloyd and Jack

Social source share

Really sad to receive a phone call from carl while djing in jersey to tell me that not just a fantastic dj but a wonderful friend had passed away Mr Ian gee Ian was not just a friend on the soul scene but am absolute rock in my personal life and will miss the chats we had while stopping weekends with him in chesterfield along with billy brian barry Freddie ruby george and 4 chickens lol fantastic memories of djing with him but most of all NYE at kings way hall.I owe a massive thank you to him and carl for giving me my break in the east Midlands at Rainworth or Renerth as they called it 17 years ago and all his love and support ever since Ian you were only small in size but an absolute giant on the soul scene night god bless my fiend yocky and mandy xx 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Really saddened to hear of Ian's passing ,a true gentleman and a great DJ .Ian will always be in our hearts.                                                                                                      RIP Ian.  Fred & Jacque Ward

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

Guest Bygones

Yesterday we said goodbye to our dear friend MR IAN GEE ( choc) SUE AND MYSELF were honoured to be part of the funeral of a man we truly loved he was a great father to his boys Lloyd and Jack he was a beloved grandad the turn out at the crem was wonderful to see all is pals from the northern soul old friends from the late sixties when we were skin heads around chesterfield family was the main part of the funeral and were together at this sad time the music was Ian when we left him is favourite Landslide was playing what a tribute to a great DAD FRIEND AND GOD FATHER OF SOUL REST EASY IAN WE WILL MISS YOU SO MUCH 

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Pleasure to have had Ian as a close family friend, the well-deserved outstanding turnout says it all, big loss to us all.

Social source share

Guest Lloyd DJIANGEE

A MASSIVE thank you to all who attended!

And what a turn out! We were so happy when we saw how many people came to the crem & wake afterwards to show there respects to our dad.

Such a special day/evening in our dads honour.

What a great man our Dad was and it showed with how many people came out.

You will never be forgotten Dad. Love you now and always.

Lloyd and Jack

Social source share

Only just seen this as not been on for a while. 

Spent a a lot of time with Ian and Carl from 97 - 04. Went all over the place with them. Lost touch when I moved out to US. Always see Carl when I get back and so I knew Ian had been ill for a while but still a shock. Very sad. Some great  memories of Rainworth, Forest Town, Brighouse, Skeg weekenders and everywhere else!

Top man. RIP mate.

Daz

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

If you couldn’t make the funeral, just letting you know there is an event to celebrate Ian Gee’s life at The Chesterfield Winding Wheel on Sunday 3rd April  3 – 8pm Free to attend

Further details and dedicated thread on:  https://www.soul-source.co.uk/calendar/event/43794-in-memory-of-mr-ian-geethe-winding-wheelchesterfield/

Info will keep getting updated

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!