Articles: Tyrone Edwards aka Tony & Tyrone

Very interesting read, thanks!

'Whip your loving on me' came out on german Vogue as well. I once had a date stamped demo Nov 21, 1970. Don't know how accurate that is. Nice pic sleeve. I attach a scan I nicked off Discogs. Can supply better quality scan from my collection if you want?

I think 'Please operator' also came out in Germany but am not sure.

56cb9195dfe15_TonyTyrone.jpg.04a663ab2fdfe2a3f467eed7d3754674.jpg

Social source share

On 22/02/2016 at 22:54, Benji said:

Very interesting read, thanks!

'Whip your loving on me' came out on german Vogue as well. I once had a date stamped demo Nov 21, 1970. Don't know how accurate that is. Nice pic sleeve. I attach a scan I nicked off Discogs. Can supply better quality scan from my collection if you want?

I think 'Please operator' also came out in Germany but am not sure.

That's nice Benji, a hi res scan would be nice when you get a chance. Also if you ever see 'Please operator' Germany release, think of me

Social source share

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Gilly said:

Dave just to add a little something myself and Andy Tats Taylor met Tony Johnson in 1990  It was something Betty Lavette arranged for us as Tony was in the Magnetics (same group as Lady in Green) but prior to that. The Train song was nearer to his time. We met in a bar The Locker Room (Curtis/Levonia) at some late hour and it emerged that thru a conversation with Tats that he was one half of Tony and Tyrone.

He was one of the nicest guys I ever met in Detroit, he came to see us the next day, sold us some 45s and then without warning began to sing a few songs that he was working on with Barrett Strong, yes we did have a video recorder with us but we didn't know he would sing for us, but he did the result being its very emotional.

With speaking to him it emerged his sister was at university in Oxford so we said because he (Tony) had been so sweet with us that on our return to the UK we would afford his sister some of our time and we did just that. Andy bought her down to my house and we went for a meal and afterwards Tats took her to some soul event, I couldn't go to that for some reason but at least we kept our promise  Gilly

Gilly , I remember watching that on Video (which Rob Thomas lent me I think ) was that when you were both sat in his car in a carpark ?

The song he sung was awesome , did it ever get a release ?

Cheers

Swifty:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Are Mr Swifty, I think I met you on Saturday didn't I, well yes that was the car park singing episode. He sang 2/3 songs and we asked to bring the songs back to the UK to see if we could help them along, now Tony was up for it but Barrett said no. At the time Tony was selling womens clothes door to door from out of his trunk to make a living having owned a string of beauty shops his wife divorced him taking his last penny.  As I said he was a fantastic human being

Regards Gilly

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Dave makes mention of Tony & Tyrone's close friendship with Carolyn & Aretha Franklin, but he didn't extend that to include the 3rd sister -- Erma.

Erma had lost her Epic record deal in 63 & wouldn't sign with Shout (where she had big hits) till 67, so her career must have been at a bit of a low point in the mid 60's, albeit that she was still a singing sister of the future  'Queen Of Soul'. In 65, Aretha was still signed to Columbia and had a top 20 R&B hit with "One Step Away" (which was coupled with "I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face" on the 45). So Erma must have landed these booking partly coz Aretha was 'back in fashion' & on the charts.

Seems Erma was also a friend to Tony & Tyrone as she took them on a tour down the US east coast with her in 1965 ... see attached Baltimore club ad from August 65 ... 

BaltGigsAug65.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!