Tony Hestor - Down In The Dumps

macca

I saw a radio playlist from that guy in Leeds saying this was on Pameline. I remember it being released on Grapevine in the 70's. Is it as rare as Stanley Mitchell on Dynamo? Stanley, along with Sam Ward, are two of my fave all time records & unfortunately, out of my price range. When Tony Hestor began picking up plays (around 1977?) I remember thinking 'what's this shite?', but the record quickly grew on me. I still think The Detroit Executives is better than The Ideals. Popcorn certainly knew how to cut the cod back then, didn't he? I often wonder who he was aiming his stuff at though.

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I saw a radio playlist from that guy in Leeds saying this was on Pameline. I remember it being released on Grapevine in the 70's. Is it as rare as Stanley Mitchell on Dynamo? Stanley, along with Sam Ward, are two of my fave all time records & unfortunately, out of my price range. When Tony Hestor began picking up plays (around 1977?) I remember thinking 'what's this shite?', but the record quickly grew on me. I still think The Detroit Executives is better than The Ideals. Popcorn certainly knew how to cut the cod back then, didn't he? I often wonder who he was aiming his stuff at though.

It was never issued on Pameline, always been an acetate cut off the Popcorn Wylie studio master tapes..

Social source share

I have a tape of Popcorn Wylie live at Manchester International 1986 (i think).

I tell you... i have seen Popcorn Wylie on quite a few occaisions... always a top act... but this nite was incredible!!

He does everything... Down in the Dumps... Sweet Darlin... I'm saving my lovin... If it's all the same to you... Cool Off... but when he does Hanky Panky... woooh .. completely blows you away!

He's dead talkative too.. telling you when he wrote and recorded stuff... talks about Tony Hester.. it's great.... one of my most treasured tapes ever.

Can put it on cd if anyone would like one...(as long as i'm not comitting some major crime in doing so)... just let me know :D

Social source share

I tell you... i have seen Popcorn Wylie on quite a few occaisions... always a top act... but this nite was incredible!!

He does everything... Down in the Dumps... Sweet Darlin... I'm saving my lovin... If it's all the same to you... Cool Off... but when he does Hanky Panky... woooh .. completely blows you away!

He's dead talkative too.. telling you when he wrote and recorded stuff... talks about Tony Hester.. it's great.... one of my most treasured tapes ever.

Can put it on cd if anyone would like one...(as long as i'm not comitting some major crime in doing so)... just let me know :D

I was there that night Joan, would love a copy of cd. Top night. I've photo of him and another of Snake Davis from Dustable gig on wall.

Popcorn_at_Dunstable.jpg(post-225-115961

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Hi Joan

I'd like a copy if possible.

Social source share

Hey Joan, Stuart got an original acetate of down in the dumps off Dickie a while back, played it at Burnley a couple of months ago. Sounded brilliant. laugh.gif

Social source share

I was there that night Joan, would love a copy of cd. Top night. I've photo of him and another of Snake Davis from Dustable gig on wall.

Yeah saw him at Dunstable too... but that night at Manchester was just incredible.

It was just really 'personal'... if you know what i mean... you'll know what i mean Chalky... hard to put into words. :thumbsup:

The bit during Cool Off where he says... "by the way... does anybody over there.. have a drink of ... pop?"... can still see John Hodge running up to the stage in his sheepie to give him a can of coke! Just brill!

Will be happy to do copies for anyone who would like one... just pm me where you would like it sending and i will get them off asap :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yeah saw him at Dunstable too... but that night at Manchester was just incredible.

It was just really 'personal'... if you know what i mean... you'll know what i mean Chalky... hard to put into words. :thumbsup:

The bit during Cool Off where he says... "by the way... does anybody over there.. have a drink of ... pop?"... can still see John Hodge running up to the stage in his sheepie to give him a can of coke! Just brill!

Will be happy to do copies for anyone who would like one... just pm me where you would like it sending and i will get them off asap :thumbsup:

Know what you mean, top night. If I remember rightly they switched venues at last minute, or am I imagining things :thumbsup:

Social source share

we can start a vine. you know, the owner of the original sends it to the first on the list, he/she then sends it to the next in line & so on & so on. a simple & efficient way of circulating a cd.

it would read something like this:-

00 - joan (email)

01 - chalky (email)

02 - 45seller (email)

03 - jctom (email)

04 - macca (ajmac@mundo-r.com)

05 -

06 -

07 -

08 -

09 -

10 -

Social source share

Hey Joan, Stuart got an original acetate of down in the dumps off Dickie a while back, played it at Burnley a couple of months ago. Sounded brilliant. :thumbsup:

Last time I heard that played out was when Keb Darge played it in Hamburg last year. So there seem to be two acetates then. For your home entertainment I strongly recommend the old Inferno Detroit A Go Go compilation...although cut (mainly?) off bootlegs this great compilation brings them all to you (incl. Down In The Dumps).

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Last time I heard that played out was when Keb Darge played it in Hamburg last year. So there seem to be two acetates then. For your home entertainment I strongly recommend the old Inferno Detroit A Go Go compilation...although cut (mainly?) off bootlegs this great compilation brings them all to you (incl. Down In The Dumps).

Marc

I don't know what makes you say they were cut from bootlegs. The scans on the front look real enough. Plus they also had access to unreleased stuff, one of which is on there (the Soul Hawks) and a couple which came out on a single (Erik & The Vikings/Detroit Strings). You're right about the lp though, absolutely fantastic, couple that with the stuff that came out on Grapevine (first LP) you'd have a tremendous compilation. I'll start work on it now.

Social source share

Marc

I am confused, my understanding which seems to be confirmed by John above they were cut direct from tape!

Do you mean original Grapevine acetate or original EMI disc ?? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Budgie

Richard played them for some months before Soul Bowl issued them on their 1st LP,Talk of the Grapevine. Track listing from New Soul time 6.

Gene Woodbury-Ever Again-Issued Del-Val

Detroit Executives-Cool Off-Issued Pameline

Eula Cooper-Beggers Can't Be Choosers-Issued Note

Betty Boo-Spellbound-Unissued

Milton Wright-The Gallop-Issued Carla

Milton Wright-I Belong To You-Issued Satiron (via Soul Bowl)

Popcorn Wylie-Rosemary voc & inst-issued Karen

Sidney Thomas-let's Make Love-Issued Parallel

Eula Cooper-Standing By Love-Issued Note

Betty Boo-Stop That Boy-Unissued

Tony Hestor-Down In The Dumps-Unissued

Popcorn Wylie-Hanky Panky-Unissued

Eula Cooper-Let Our Love Grow Higher-Issued Super Sound

Soul Twins-Quick Change Artist-Issued Karen

Tony Hestor-Space Land-Unissued

Capitols -Cool Jerk 68-Issued Karen.

Overall sound quality was pretty poor.interesting note from 1978

"recommended price is £3.99 and some poeple have payed £100 for Gene Woodbury." (The original write up had a lot more inverted commas as anyone who remembers N.S.T.will know.)

All the best

Pete.

Social source share

I am confused, my understanding which seems to be confirmed by John above they were cut direct from tape!

Do you mean original Grapevine acetate or original EMI disc ?? wicked.gif

There was one original Detroit acetate supposed to exist.

Marc

I don't know what makes you say they were cut from bootlegs. The scans on the front look real enough.

Hi Pete, Sam Ward and Ideals scans were taken from bootlegs.

Social source share

Guest FYLDECOAST

Richard played them for some months before Soul Bowl issued them on their 1st LP,Talk of the Grapevine. Track listing from New Soul time 6.

Gene Woodbury-Ever Again-Issued Del-Val

Detroit Executives-Cool Off-Issued Pameline

Eula Cooper-Beggers Can't Be Choosers-Issued Note

Betty Boo-Spellbound-Unissued

Milton Wright-The Gallop-Issued Carla

Milton Wright-I Belong To You-Issued Satiron (via Soul Bowl)

Popcorn Wylie-Rosemary voc & inst-issued Karen

Sidney Thomas-let's Make Love-Issued Parallel

Eula Cooper-Standing By Love-Issued Note

Betty Boo-Stop That Boy-Unissued

Tony Hestor-Down In The Dumps-Unissued

Popcorn Wylie-Hanky Panky-Unissued

Eula Cooper-Let Our Love Grow Higher-Issued Super Sound

Soul Twins-Quick Change Artist-Issued Karen

Tony Hestor-Space Land-Unissued

Capitols -Cool Jerk 68-Issued Karen.

Overall sound quality was pretty poor.interesting note from 1978

"recommended price is £3.99 and some poeple have payed £100 for Gene Woodbury." (The original write up had a lot more inverted commas as anyone who remembers N.S.T.will know.)

All the best

Pete.

Sidney Thomas - Look , Lets make Love - Parallel

In my top 10 70's tracks , Play it at Lytham regularly

Anyone heard it at a venue lately ?

Steve Mc

Social source share

The Inferno album was licenced from Richard and mastered from a variety of sources.

The Kool Kat 12"/7" were each 100% mastered from the original tapes...reels and reels of them..

There were no artist titles so I thought it would be tongue in cheek to credit "In The Pocket" as The Detroit Strings.. even though as Pete Smith has rightly pointed out there are no strings on it.

Richard is a wonderful guy. I did a big interview with him in Echoes at the time of he Inferno album being released and can remember him DJ'ing at Nuneaton at a gig which I think was a sort of launch party for the album.

In Detroit once he took me to his old mate Casablanca who used to be the the radio promotion guy for Ric-Tic. He had some great strories to tell about the 60's and the strokes they pulled to get their records on the radio!

Neil

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

The Inferno album was licenced from Richard and mastered from a variety of sources.

The Kool Kat 12"/7" were each 100% mastered from the original tapes...reels and reels of them..

There were no artist titles so I thought it would be tongue in cheek to credit "In The Pocket" as The Detroit Strings.. even though as Pete Smith has rightly pointed out there are no strings on it.

Richard is a wonderful guy. I did a big interview with him in Echoes at the time of he Inferno album being released and can remember him DJ'ing at Nuneaton at a gig which I think was a sort of launch party for the album.

In Detroit once he took me to his old mate Casablanca who used to be the the radio promotion guy for Ric-Tic. He had some great strories to tell about the 60's and the strokes they pulled to get their records on the radio!

Neil

Thought that would wake you up mate !

Social source share

There is an original 60's 7" acetate of "Down In The Dumps". It's also a different cut & longer.

Someone I know was at Popcorns place in the early 90's, & it was given to him with other acetates. On his return to the U.K. he sold it on, It then disappears for a number of years, & re surfaced about 3 or 4 years ago.

Social source share

There was one original Detroit acetate supposed to exist.

Marc

"There was one original Detroit acetate supposed to exist"

marc,

I think one does as well, cause we just received it in the post, gotta check everything out..but it seems to be adifferent take. It'll be on auction next Thurday to hear and view... john

Social source share

Posted cd's this morning to all who sent me their addresses... :thumbsup:

Hi Joan

Thanks, CD arrived yesterday and It's brilliant, I'm in your debt.

Only had chance to listen to half of It as I was working last night.

Looking forward to listening to It in full later today, Thanks again.

Social source share

Guest martyn

Sidney Thomas - Look , Lets make Love - Parallel

In my top 10 70's tracks , Play it at Lytham regularly

Anyone heard it at a venue lately ?

Steve Mc

Agreed,one of the best 70s oldies ever :thumbsup: ......played it to a mate a couple of months back who still (unlike myself) goes to a venue every weekend in some corner of the country-he'd never heard it before :lol:

Social source share

:yes: popcorn on stage.....

Was just about ot post this when I see Mel already done it, it's the photo on my wall, taken at Dunstable. Mark Bicknell sat at side of stage. I've another of Snake from same show, will scan sometime.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

There is an original 60's 7" acetate of "Down In The Dumps". It's also a different cut & longer.

Someone I know was at Popcorns place in the early 90's, & it was given to him with other acetates. On his return to the U.K. he sold it on, It then disappears for a number of years, & re surfaced about 3 or 4 years ago.

The acetate that Stuart Bennett has came from Richard Watts collection. And it originated from John Anderson. Deffo pucka and sounds fantastic. 7inch. Be interesting to hear the one that John auctions and compare them.

Phil.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!