Four Seasons- Dawn On Radio 2

Codfromderby

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

sounds very much to me like wendall parker on capricorn 7, 2i think its my loves on ration, or something like that

Parts of it sound a lot like bits from "Discontented" by Phil Flowers, especially in the chorus when he sings "And don't you worry bout me", exactly the same tune as when Phil Flowers sings "And join the discontented". I was singing it to myself while doing the hoovering just now :D

Social source share

Didn't Johnny Walker play a Monitors record this morning on SOTS's? It was after a Drifter's record but I didn't catch the name.

I was driving with the sprog in the car and he was 'rabbiting on' and not sure that I heard him right that it was a Momitors song.

Was it?

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

sounds very much to me like wendall parker on capricorn 7, 2i think its my loves on ration, or something like that

Wan't the Wendall Parker record some sort of bootleg - the 4 Seasons track with the vocals stripped off, but still slightly audible in the background.

Alan

Social source share

Dawn is just a great pop record, with a good b side, original version of Silence Is Golden, miles better than Tremeloes.

Frankie and the Four Seasons made some great pop records in the 60s, very popular in the clubs I frequented. And their LPs were full of old doowop songs, they were originally a doowop group in the 50s, can't remember the name, I think their hit was Apple Of My Eye or similar.

Never heard of Wendall Parker.

Social source share

thanks to all for replying to this post, an old mate has just contacted me and told me that you can indeed hear frankie in the background of the wendall 45 if you play it loud enogh therefore the 45 on capricorn 7 is possibly of dubious origin.

records of dubious origin on the northern scene, who,d have thought it :shades:

Social source share

Wan't the Wendall Parker record some sort of bootleg - the 4 Seasons track with the vocals stripped off, but still slightly audible in the background.

Alan

The Capricorn record was indeed the Four Seasons - Dawn - with vocals stripped.

The other side was the main side though, can't remember the title but it was also a Four Seasons inst - Watch The Flowers Grow.

For some reason the inst was deliberatly poor quality to give the impression of age, and then presented to the scene as a cover-up called "lose your feet" - I own up to being duped on that one - £50 in 1980 dot something.

It appeared the same time as the Glowlite Lou Pride instrumental.

Cheers

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

Social source share

The Capricorn record was indeed the Four Seasons - Dawn - with vocals stripped.

The other side was the main side though, can't remember the title but it was also a Four Seasons inst - Watch The Flowers Grow.

For some reason the inst was deliberatly poor quality to give the impression of age, and then presented to the scene as a cover-up called "lose your feet" - I own up to being duped on that one - £50 in 1980 dot something.

It appeared the same time as the Glowlite Lou Pride instrumental.

Cheers

Mick

But I had Lose Your Feet as Tartan Sisters on an Impact bootleg..same thing?

Social source share

But I had Lose Your Feet as Tartan Sisters on an Impact bootleg..same thing?

Hi Pete - No, the cover-up artist was the Tartans, but also at the same time there was a Simon S bootleg on impact - Tartans Sisters - You Took A Shot At My Heart - which was a vocal to Nothing But Love - same time as Del Satins, Charades etc

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Hi Pete - No, the cover-up artist was the Tartans, but also at the same time there was a Simon S bootleg on impact - Tartans Sisters - You Took A Shot At My Heart - which was a vocal to Nothing But Love - same time as Del Satins, Charades etc

Cheers

Mick

You're right Mick, though I have to say I never saw this at the time.

I remember hearing you play the vocal of Bok To Bach off an emidisc credited to Tina Parker more than a year before it was pressed - at the Bradmore Arms...31 years ago that was :shades:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Dawn is just a great pop record, with a good b side, original version of Silence Is Golden, miles better than Tremeloes.

Frankie and the Four Seasons made some great pop records in the 60s, very popular in the clubs I frequented. And their LPs were full of old doowop songs, they were originally a doowop group in the 50s, can't remember the name,

...They were called the Four Lovers, they made quite a few records for RCA and, funnily enough, I was playing their version of the Drifters' "Honey Love" not three hours ago. At around the same time, Frankie Valli also recorded solo for Mercury as Frank Valley, and for - gasp! - Okeh, as Frankie Tyler!

"Silence Is Golden" was, by the way, the flip of "Rag Doll", not "Dawn". Otherwise you're right, they probably didn't make a bad 45, and certainly not from "Dawn" through to "Saturday's Father"....

TONE :shades:

Social source share

You're right Mick, though I have to say I never saw this at the time.

I remember hearing you play the vocal of Bok To Bach off an emidisc credited to Tina Parker more than a year before it was pressed - at the Bradmore Arms...31 years ago that was :shades:

Good grief, that was my local - surpised anyone remembered that place - Dave Jay the DJ with his 4 decks !!! - He hated emi discs, reckoned it buggered up his needles (personally I thing the pile of 2 shilling peices glued to each arm might have had more to do with it though). Happy days though - stopped going when the admission went up to 20p !!

Social source share

Guest martyn

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick-Is the Tartans instrumental of Nothing But Love kosher or is that iffy as well?Always seemed strange to me that the same label issued the the same instrumental twice under different names( John Rhys & Tartans) if there wasn't a vocal intended for the other side of Tartans ?

Social source share

Hi Mick-Is the Tartans instrumental of Nothing But Love kosher or is that iffy as well?Always seemed strange to me that the same label issued the the same instrumental twice under different names( John Rhys & Tartans) if there wasn't a vocal intended for the other side of Tartans ?

Hello Martyn - I'm sure the two original instumental releases are genuine, it's only the latter day S S vocal recording that was doggy.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

...They were called the Four Lovers, they made quite a few records for RCA and, funnily enough, I was playing their version of the Drifters' "Honey Love" not three hours ago. At around the same time, Frankie Valli also recorded solo for Mercury as Frank Valley, and for - gasp! - Okeh, as Frankie Tyler!

"Silence Is Golden" was, by the way, the flip of "Rag Doll", not "Dawn". Otherwise you're right, they probably didn't make a bad 45, and certainly not from "Dawn" through to "Saturday's Father"....

TONE :)

Hi Tone,

Thanks for the info about the Four Lovers, never actually heard any of their records, but I think the Seasons recorded Apple Of My Eye on an early LP.

Apologies for mistake on Silence Is Golden. I think the b side of Dawn is No Surfing Today, a death disc, and one I used to like. Can't check as I've only got Dawn on LP, no b side.

I really do like Frankie & the Seasons, one of the greatest 60s groups imo.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!