Ted Massey

• Replies 33
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

originals pink or white demos as on JM auction. boot mauve or blue.

blue copy is a company repress using the same master plates, so really not a bootleg but a 2nd. issue. Value £20 / £25

Social source share

Whats a issue go for these days?

(thanks)

First press Pink copy would certainly sell easily @ £100 if we had acopy to list..Promo seems to be the variation everybody would prefer to own, though.
Social source share

First press Pink copy would certainly sell easily @ £100 if we had acopy to list..Promo seems to be the variation everybody would prefer to own, though.

As a matter of interest, John (or anyone else) – is the promo more readily available than the issue? I've personally seen more demos than issues for sale down the years.

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

Guest Roccia

Whats a issue go for these days?

(thanks)

Paul,

paid 75 for an issue from Sean last year, and a friend of mine paid it about 25 quid on Ebay...

Roccia

Social source share

hi all, i have a demo which i aquired a while back for £20 up to recently had never

seen another,was out saturday at a soulnight a dj played what looked like a demo

and said it was from 1974? i thought that it was issued around 69/70?

another demo which upto recently havnt seen very often, and as the don thomas demo

has sold or being sold on a dealers auction for in excess of £100, vibrating vibrations - suprise party for baby - neptune. are they really that hard to find?

russ

Social source share

Paul,

paid 75 for an issue from Sean last year, and a friend of mine paid it about 25 quid on Ebay...

Roccia

Hi ya Roccia

I was just wondering..

I have an issue bought it 2 years ago off Moldie for £30 I think, then a week later bought "No one could love you more" of him for £40 :P

he still keeps moaning about it :P

goood luck

Paul :lol:

Social source share

Guest martyn

hi all, i have a demo which i aquired a while back for £20 up to recently had never

seen another,was out saturday at a soulnight a dj played what looked like a demo

and said it was from 1974? i thought that it was issued around 69/70?

another demo which upto recently havnt seen very often, and as the don thomas demo

has sold or being sold on a dealers auction for in excess of £100, vibrating vibrations - suprise party for baby - neptune. are they really that hard to find?

russ

I'm pretty sure it was booted as a white demo on vinyl.I bought one for a palltry amount in 1981 at one of the last Wigan's.It was the original recording (not the DJM one) but was pretty poor sound quallity & jumped a couple of times-it even smelt new (if you know what I mean :P ).Not sure if I still have it,I will look later to give run out groove details.

Social source share

Two questions for the panel...does anyone know the story behind NUVJ....was it part of the original VJ label which had closed down ? Were there other releases on the label? Is it my imagination or are there two different mixes, one with plucked strings...or is that the instrumental I'm thinking of?

Hang on thats three questions...

Social source share

Guest martyn

Backing up my earlier post that there is a white demo boot,the one I'm holding now has a very sharp edge,hardly any run out(aprox 5mm with 2 turns) & a tiny,barely legible sratched 1-CS-3205-A.It also has a ridge between the run out & the label

I would post a scan,but its past my daughters bedtime :P:P

Can someone compare this to a definate original-I'm convinced its a boot

Thanks

Martyn

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Backing up my earlier post that there is a white demo boot,the one I'm holding now has a very sharp edge,hardly any run out(aprox 5mm with 2 turns) & a tiny,barely legible sratched 1-CS-3205-A.It also has a ridge between the run out & the label

I would post a scan,but its past my daughters bedtime :P:P

Thanks

Martyn

I have that one too. Bought ages ago for £3 so always assumed it was a boot. Looking at the 'style' of the vinyl and label it's very similar to releases of the mid 70's e.g. Marvin Holmes - You Better Keep Her from '74

Social source share

Guest martyn

I have that one too. Bought ages ago for £3 so always assumed it was a boot. Looking at the 'style' of the vinyl and label it's very similar to releases of the mid 70's e.g. Marvin Holmes - You Better Keep Her from '74

I didnt realise Marvin Holmes was on vinyl,mines styrene-Iv never seen a demo though,white or otherwise.Do you have one?

Social source share

Guest martyn

Was under the impression that the boots of Marvin are the styrene pressings...sound like boots, anyway.

Whoops.........I see another thread brewing,I never thought it rare enough to be booted

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Whoops.........I see another thread brewing,I never thought it rare enough to be booted

I thought it was about making a quick buck out of a popular record opposed to it being rare :thumbsup:

Social source share

I would post a scan,but its past my daughters bedtime :thumbsup::ohmy:

Thanks

Martyn

Martyn,

the best way to check this is to see if the label is a glossy shiny one - if that is the case then these are originals.

There was a batch of these surfaced in the early 90's and to my knowledge them ist originals.

how old are your daughters unsure.gif

Social source share

There are no bootlegs of Marvin Holmes. Vinyl press is Oakland, Ca. Styrene press is Monach, Los Angeles. Vinyl would be the very first because Marvin is an Oakland guy. But the styrene press was I think about the same time. Styrene always without question sounds worse than the vinyl alternative.

Bob Catteneo sent BOTH formats to the UK as new trelease circa 1975. The delta# on the styrene copy matches 1974...

Social source share

Two questions for the panel...does anyone know the story behind NUVJ....was it part of the original VJ label which had closed down ? Were there other releases on the label? Is it my imagination or are there two different mixes, one with plucked strings...or is that the instrumental I'm thinking of?

Hang on thats three questions...

The Fidels - try A Little Harder was on NUVJ with an instrumental version on the b side.

Don Thomas should be maybe £50 tops for an issue and £80 for a demo. Well that's what I think they are worth and that's what I would sell them to you for.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

There are no bootlegs of Marvin Holmes. Vinyl press is Oakland, Ca. Styrene press is Monach, Los Angeles. Vinyl would be the very first because Marvin is an Oakland guy. But the styrene press was I think about the same time. Styrene always without question sounds worse than the vinyl alternative.

Bob Catteneo sent BOTH formats to the UK as new trelease circa 1975. The delta# on the styrene copy matches 1974...

And the Album ! Issued in the mid 80s

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

That was an 80's reissue of one of his two rare LP's Gav

Cheers

Steve

That was a question not a statment hit the wrong symbol yes.gif ! not ? Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest martyn

Martyn,

the best way to check this is to see if the label is a glossy shiny one - if that is the case then these are originals.

There was a batch of these surfaced in the early 90's and to my knowledge them ist originals.

how old are your daughters :D

Cheers Rudzi-glossy label :D

My daughter is 14 going on 21 :D:yes::) anyone would think its OK for kids to stay out all hours these days :):D

Social source share

Guest martyn

This is the reply i had from John Manship

"the Don Thomas White promo has never been booted The original vinyl is BEVELLED on the run-in which could give the impression that it's a boot. But remember it is an early 70s recording."

think i will bow to Johns knowledge

In that case I will join you & move Mr Thomas to the appropriate box :) .........It was the manner I picked it up cheaply & the look that had me convinced it was a boot

Cheers

Social source share

Guest martyn

Cheers John-Have you come across many Demo's ?

Social source share

I got the initial copies of Marvin Holmes from Bob in San Francisco...we played it first at a Burntwood Baths all-dayer. Colin Curtis went mad when he heard it.. Bob must have sent me 100's of copies over a 9 months period.,

Got a funny story about Don Thomas W/DJ. When DJM re-issued "Don Thomas"I was working for Echoes and visited the DJM A&R man Dave Yates. To my amazement he had a WDJ copy which he was happy to give to me , I don't think any had been seen up to that point.

I was as proud as punch ...then one Saturday night before a Ritz all-dayer got my records out, had a few glasses of wine...and broke the only WDJ in the UK.Gutted.

Fast forward to 1979/80 and I licenced "Come On Train" for Inferno,via the the NUVJ office in LA.

I rang the office to check they had got my bank draft and the guy there was totally made up that he had been paid for an old master.we got chatting and of course I asked if he had any of the original release, stressing I didn't mean the NUVJ blue label thingy..

He came back and said he had, but "unfortunately" they were radio promo copies that had never been sent out.

I asked if I could buy them and he said no. you've paid the advance for the licence,I will send them to you for free, we're not going to do anything with them except eventually throw them away. I thought he must be confused about the quantity he mentiond and what they were....- some weeks later in the post.......... 400 WHITE DEMOS!

Happy days.

Neil

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!