"Run For Your Life" 3 versions but which do you prefer?

Derek Pearson

“Run For Your Life” 3 versions – but which do you prefer?

Derek

Douglas Gibson with the Sweet and the Sours (Tangerine TRC 969)

Harrison Brothers (Bobalou BL 1001)

Luther Ingram (Hurdy Gurdy R 102)

Born in 1937 he would have been 28 when he cut this absolute beast of a tune in 1965. It’s likely to pre-date his other 45 released later that year on Decca which would make this his debut release on 45 under his own name. That would help explain it’s ridiculous rarity. Sounding more Detroit than Detroit itself. It’s got everything I/you/we associate with the sound of the MotorCity in the mid sixties. No guessing as to who did the original version either the writer credits tell us all we need to know.  If you’ve never heard this version before sit back and fasten your safety belt. Wow! For once I’m nearly speechless. Once again Wow.

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Derek Pearson said:

“Run For Your Life” 3 versions – but which do you prefer?

Derek

Douglas Gibson with the Sweet and the Sours (Tangerine TRC 969)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iprRPv1k7JY

Harrison Brothers (Bobalou BL 1001)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAhhlQDJjW8

Luther Ingram (Hurdy Gurdy R 102)

Born in 1937 he would have been 28 when he cut this absolute beast of a tune in 1965. It’s likely to pre-date his other 45 released later that year on Decca which would make this his debut release on 45 under his own name. That would help explain it’s ridiculous rarity. Sounding more Detroit than Detroit itself. It’s got everything I/you/we associate with the sound of the MotorCity in the mid sixties. No guessing as to who did the original version either the writer credits tell us all we need to know.  If you’ve never heard this version before sit back and fasten your safety belt. Wow! For once I’m nearly speechless. Once again Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikUQKkYbOw

I absolutely agree, that the Luther Ingram cut is the superior version, and moreover would concur, that it was probably a Detroit recording,with more than a hint of "Popcorn" Wylie tinkling the "ivories", and Mike Terry on baritone sax? However and whilst "hybrid" sound, may be the wrong terminology, I suspect (and hopefully wrongly) that New York may have had some input, particularly with the Robert Bateman involvement? .....I am an avid Detroit enthusiast/collector, but there are certain anomalies that still intrigue me from a collecting perspective.....Often I just wish I was there at the time ........... 

56 minutes ago, Derek Pearson said:

Social source share

On 22/02/2016 at 00:06, wilxy said:
On 21/02/2016 at 22:33, Derek Pearson said:

“I absolutely agree, that the Luther Ingram cut is the superior version, and moreover would concur, that it was probably a Detroit recording,with more than a hint of "Popcorn" Wylie tinkling the "ivories", and Mike Terry on baritone sax? However and whilst "hybrid" sound, may be the wrong terminology, I suspect (and hopefully wrongly) that New York may have had some input, particularly with the Robert Bateman involvement? .....I am an avid Detroit enthusiast/collector, but there are certain anomalies that still intrigue me from a collecting perspective.....Often I just wish I was there at the time ........... 

Words by John Manship (YouTube 13 Dec 2011).

Robert Bateman's association with Luther Ingram created one of the all time Top Ten Northern Soul anthems when they laid down the "If It's All The Same To You" c/w "Exus Trek" tracks for HIB. To this day considered "As Good As It Gets Northern Soul".

Before you today is another Bateman/Ingram pairing that again created two killer Northern soul tracks - Robert's embryonic Detroit career honing skills with partner Brian Holland at Motown - this is a "Brainbert" project.

A-side is a grinding gravel-strewn-journey into the deep moody depths of Luther Ingram's soul, constantly prompted by a Mike Terry-esque baritone sax, blaring horns, tinkling Earl Van Dyke style keyboard work all dissolve into a Detroit Northern Soul dancer without one commercial note being played. This is street-level individualism bordering on genius.

If that were not enough - just flip it over - WOW it's just as good!

So much rarer than their HIB 45 - but has languished in the lower reaches of value even though this is one very difficult 45 to capture, all down to lack of NS exposure.  Future potential for a value hike for this sleeper - quite frankly is glaringly obvious.

Social source share

It probably depends on which version you heard first. That is usually the one that remains your favourite.

We always played the Luther Ingram version, as it sounds almost Detroit in production.

I also remember Cliff playing the flip side one night, and there was quite a charge up to the decks to see what it was. :lol: 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!