Fluffy Falana - My Little Cottage (Alpha)

4 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

Fab Wigan Oldie that rarely, if ever see's a set of decks these days. Todays punters would apparently much sooner listen to endless plays of Moses Smith, Ruby Andrews and Bob Sinclair instead. :(

Sorry Gaz. Gets played out plenty enough. Still doesn't stop it being a pile of shit though.....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just checked & it was Lola (not Fluffy) that married one of the Tavares boys in 1970.

Lola was a dancer / singer who played Broadway shows,  appeared in 60's films & was featured on the Bill Cosby TV Show (so no doubt she knew Bill very well & maybe even his little old man ?!?). Lola was a star in Vegas for some years but went down with an illness in 1972 (think this stopped her dancing for a while).

Fluffy & Lola were from Philly originally. Lola cut for Reprise in the 60's ..... was her early 67 Reprise 45 a Virtue Production ??? .....

..... & did her Italian language version of "Working in a Coalmine" ever actually escape on 45 in Italy ? If so, is it any good ? .....

LFalana2.jpg

By 1975 Cuba Gooding (of Main Ingredient) was recording Lola on some new tunes but I don't know if these ever escaped from the tape vaults.

LFalana3.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Louis said:

Triode (Paul Johnson) played it at the last stubshaw in december.  Went down a storm. 

No it didn't . People danced. People sat down.  Sitters won.By a stretch.  But there you go- there's a bum for every seat .....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Just checked & it was Lola (not Fluffy) that married one of the Tavares boys in 1970.

Lola was a dancer / singer who played Broadway shows,  appeared in 60's films & was featured on the Bill Cosby TV Show (so no doubt she knew Bill very well & maybe even his little old man ?!?). Lola was a star in Vegas for some years but went down with an illness in 1972 (think this stopped her dancing for a while).

Fluffy & Lola were from Philly originally. Lola cut for Reprise in the 60's ..... did her Italian language version of "Working in a Coalmine" ever actually escape on 45 in Italy ? If so, is it any good ? .....

LFalana2.jpg

Got to be a different Fluffy - ours definitely a bloke! Strange though, can't imagine two Fluffy Falana's, as such an unusual name

Not the greatest singer in the world either but can't see the Cliff similarity Peter :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, the yank said:

I read somewhere (?) Fluffy was Lola's brother.

Lola did record one 45 for RCA in '75 "There's A Man Out There Somewhere". I don't think the Cuba Gooding produced songs were ever released. 

Yep, I was getting Lola (who I remember from pictures of her & the info that she married one of the Tavares brothers) mixed up with Fluffy. I think you're right that Fluffy must have been Lola's brother even though Fluffy would normally (to me anyway) be a females (or dogs) name. I also know she had at least one 45 out in Italy in 67 (sung in Italian) but don't know if "Coalmine" was included on this release.

So are her 1975 RCA cuts (that escaped) any good ? 

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Yep, I was getting Lola (who I remember from pictures of her & the info that she married one of the Tavares brothers) mixed up with Fluffy. I think you're right that Fluffy must have been Lola's brother even though Fluffy would normally (to me anyway) be a females (or dogs) name. I also know she had at least one 45 out in Italy in 67 (sung in Italian) but don't know if "Coalmine" was included on this release.

Makes sense now :hatsoff2:

Don't know anything about Lola

Social source share

2 hours ago, Roburt said:

I don't have the "There's A ..."  45. I vaguely remember hearing it a few times on the radio. From what I remember it was below average Disco.

Social source share

11 hours ago, geoffp said:

No it didn't . People danced. People sat down.  Sitters won.By a stretch.  But there you go- there's a bum for every seat .....

Hi Geoff

Disagree with your comment, as my definition of storm is; uproar, outcry, furor and controversy. The record caused all of these in my little group, similar to comments on this thread.  Even caused merriment when we imagined Fluffy's mum calling her in when she was little, "Fluffy your tea (dinner for those down south) is ready".

These days its not all about packed dancefloors, sometimes its the memories a particular record invoke.  My other particular record memory of the night was Len's spot where he started off with Nancy Butts, which I absolutely love.

You can have as much fun sat down as you can dancing, these days, just wish some DJ's realised that too.

Don't particularly like the record, but it's just about personal preference.............

• Helpful 3
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Louis said:

Hi Geoff

Disagree with your comment, as my definition of storm is; uproar, outcry, furor and controversy. The record caused all of these in my little group, similar to comments on this thread.  Even caused merriment when we imagined Fluffy's mum calling her in when she was little, "Fluffy your tea (dinner for those down south) is ready".

These days its not all about packed dancefloors, sometimes its the memories a particular record invoke.  My other particular record memory of the night was Len's spot where he started off with Nancy Butts, which I absolutely love.

You can have as much fun sat down as you can dancing, these days, just wish some DJ's realised that too.

Don't particularly like the record, but it's just about personal preference.............

And i cant disagree with any of that. Especially the Nancy Butts. Have a good day...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!