I'm In Love With You Bobby Wade or Verna & Rob

Derek Pearson

Always loved Bobby Wade's well known 1971 released "I'm In Love With You" (soul perfection near as damn it in my book). But much less well known is the version from 2 years earlier also on the same label.

Derek

“I’m In Love With You” Bobby Wade on Way Out W-102 written by Middlebrook and Middlebrook released 1971. Apparently arranged by Mike Terry but nothing stated on credits. Released on 2 different pressings – the grey label version was a Boddie press; the red & white label unknown.

“I’m In Love With You” Verna & Rob on Way Out 1966 written by Verna & Rob released 1969. Arranged by Mike Terry.

Because I’m so clever I sorta naturally and lazily assumed the Rob on this release was Bobby Wade. But upon delveing a bit further I discovered the song was recorded by husband and wife team Verna and Robert Middlebrooks. It turns out a year or so later Lou Ragland roped in the Middlebrooks and James McClain to form The Volcanic Eruption’s who had the one off “I’ve Got Something Going For Me” on Way Out 2006 co-written by Lou Ragland and released in 1970. James McClain was also a member of the Springers.

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Is there any other label with as many different number systems as Way Out ? I reckon they had about 4 going on.

Hey up Kegsy - how's it going?

Derek

According to Buckeye Beat:  The Way Out numbering system is pretty confusing at first.

The original series was not numbered, using only the RCA master numbers.

During the MGM period, the 1000 numbering was used.

In the late 1960s, post MGM, a 2000 number series was used. For some reason, the 2000 series are by far the rarest titles on the label.

The 100 series was the last, starting in 1971.

It's possible that the numbering series were used depending on who was producing and/or providing the money. A couple one-shot numbers also exist. 

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

RE: Way Out 45 numbering & other related info ......... Prior to the deal with MGM, some Way Out 45's were distributed by Atlantic (seem to recall Springers 45 getting Atlantic distribution). Post MGM deal, Way Out was very short of money to press up copies of their 45's & had no real distribution outside Ohio area, hence rarity of series numbered in 2000's. The label had it's own studio, so acts were always in there cutting tracks (Lou Ragland being producer / engineer on many sessions). Loads of unissued tracks from that period (and the decaying mastertapes still exist). The studio was kept busy, people always coming & going, that way it wasn't suspicious if the place was used as a front for non-legal uses (say numbers running for instance). Sub label Big Jim funded by ex Cleveland Brown's football player Jim Brown. Other sub labels started up in 1970's to refresh labels image with local record buyers.  

Other Way Out recordings licensed out to other bigger labels to make some money for the label. Bobby Wade stuff escaping on Deluxe and a couple of things being licensed to De-lite a few years after original Way Out release dates.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert