Guest johnny hart

Your Fave Motown Track.

Guest johnny hart

Time for another dig into the Snakepit!  Pointless Choices to include ;  Current plays out /Faves, LP tracks,Dusty oldies , And Boots!  My 2 too Go ;; Sinner Man " Val Simpson" {lp only?, PS go,wan , Go, wan show us yours you little minx!] .  " Can:t Shake It Loose" Diana Ross& Andantes, Love Child Lp . gracias LOL Johnny.

What an impossible question to answer.  I have between 50 and 100 Motown songs that were made perfectly.  So, any one of those could be my "favourite" on a given day. 

Today, "My Beloved" (no strings version) by The Satintones is best.

3 hours ago, conchitta said:

Time for another dig into the Snakepit!  Pointless Choices to include ;  Current plays out /Faves, LP tracks,Dusty oldies , And Boots!  My 2 too Go ;; Sinner Man " Val Simpson" {lp only?, PS go,wan , Go, wan show us yours you little minx!] .  " Can:t Shake It Loose" Diana Ross& Andantes, Love Child Lp . gracias LOL Johnny.

Already had quite a few of these threads - and a poll. But  by all means run one again.

Peter

8 minutes ago, westender said:

It is impossible to narrow it down to just one track.

But I'm going to.....

The Temptations My Girl is a record that is flawless in every aspect. It is a masterpiece.

Tomorrow, well it might be something else!

ns run obe 

Don't remember contributing to the other threads but like most people there are hundreds that I could choose.

One that I always seem to go back to time and time again is Bobby Taylor - Blackmail.

Probably because the lyrics are great and I love the strings and the production. Even David Ruffin's unreleased version does it for me as well.

Kev

As a lifelong Motown fan, I agree with all those that say just how hard it is to select just one record. I love all of the Dean/Witherspoon stuff, love the Marvelettes mid 60s onwards stuff, Martha had the best voice ever, and the wistful, uplifting HDH productions were just perfect.

Combined with the brilliance of the Funk Brothers, the best bass guitarist ever and the best drummers, the bar is set pretty high.

I have always loved Do What You Gotta Do by the Tops and it nearly made my number one, but out there by a mile for me is Stevie's version of I hear a Symphony.

In my humble opinion, the best record ever made.

Well there are two that i go back to time and time again.

Isleys - All because i love you and  Gaye & Terrell - What you gave me.

Currently coming up on the rails on my trifecta is David Ruffin - Iv got to find myself a brand new baby.

Like Robb says a different one nearly every day ! To me this is one of the reasons it's so hard,

Jimmy Ruffin  Since i lost you

Gladys Knight ,Temptations ,Undisputed Truth  and Velvellettes all made versions of the same song and i still can't choose between all these versions, an absolute fabulous Norman Whitfield song  All are on you tube  but here's just one

CC blows me away on this one...

But my fav is Bobby Taylor, means a lot to me re-the boss...

Plus of course - the chaps...

What no Northern?

Edited by DaveNPete

1 hour ago, SOULMAN62 said:

Great dancer, and the div's don't no it !!

I think this track first got a mention in 2009 on here........A 1966 recording that never got put on a single at the time. 

The whole 'discovery and production' has to be applauded:

Disc: 1

1. Jimmy Ruffin He Who Picks A Rose
  2. Gladys Knight & The Pips If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love

Disc: 2

1. Stevie Wonder I Want My Baby Back
  2. The Contours Take Him Back If It Makes You Happy (Cellarful Of Motown Version)

Disc: 3

1. The Spinners We're Gonna Be More Than Friends
  2. Kim Weston You Can Do It

Disc: 4

1. Brenda Holloway We'll Keep On Rolling
  2. The Temptations Angel Doll 1994 Box Set Version (Mono)

Disc: 5

1. Marvin Gaye My Love For You 1995 The Master Version (Mono)
  2. Four Tops I'm Grateful

Disc: 6

1. The Isley Brothers Sure Is A Lotta Woman Mono Version
  2. Barbara McNair I Know Better Outtake Version

Disc: 7

1. The Velvelettes That's A Funny Way 2004 Anthology Version
  2. The Originals Don't Stop Now Album Version

So many great records deemed 'not good enough' by Hitsville at the time, have been uncovered, and I'm sure this trend will continue for years to come as the desire to find new tracks is relentless.

Ed

It's impossible to choose only one track, these days (but in a couple of other days it could change) I'm particularly into Bottom and Company "Gonna find a true love" and David Ruffin "Walk away from love"

Damn I'd forgotten about practically everything by the boy Ruffin - I Can't Stop the Rain gotta be in there.

That reminds me - Eddie Kendricks Date with the Rain, oh and Tata Vega Give it Up and Second Wind, and loads of Tina Marie Need your lovin, Behind the groove - oh bugger too too many....

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete

25 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Damn I'd forgotten about practically everything by the boy Ruffin - I Can't Stop the Rain gotta be in there.

That reminds me - Eddie Kendricks Date with the Rain, oh and Tata Vega Give it Up and Second Wind, and loads of Tina Marie Need your lovin, Behind the groove - oh bugger too too many....

Dx

Yes, I would have nominated exactly that David Ruffin track but I censored myself due to fear of offending anyone's Motown = Detroit era only beliefs :lol:

So on that score I have to go with Tammi Terrell's "All I do", Stevie's "Down to earth", Frank Wilson's you know what, the Supremes' "Stoned love", Marvin's "Ain't that peculiar", and on and on and on...

Post-Detroit, Dennis Edwards' "Coolin' out", The Temptations "I'm fascinated" (among many), The Four Tops "Just can't walk away", Jr Walker and the All Stars "Why can't we be lovers", Norman Connors w/Phyllis Hyman "Remember who you are" ... oh, and Diana Ross "Love hangover" full length version and "Tenderness" original mix 

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 10:36, rhino said:

quality tune got to be one my favourite motown tune or ruben howells cant stop a man in love

personally prefer Brenda Holloway's version of "all I do is think about you"

piano break is a killer !!

been diggin' why when love is gone..................originals...........for some time

2 minutes ago, SWIFTY said:

Phew !!! I thought it was just me that thought this :thumbup:

Me too I think Carl Carlton's version it's better than Rueben Howell. And I'm lookin' for it if anyone can help it (I know it would have to be in record wants but as we're talkin' bout it in this forum... :thumbsup:)

22 minutes ago, 25miles said:

personally prefer Brenda Holloway's version of "all I do is think about you"

piano break is a killer !!

been diggin' why when love is gone..................originals...........for some time

Don't get me started on the boys... Don't Turn the Lights Out, Down to Love Town, Don't Stop Now etc etc etc - we've got everything by them except for Young Town (which by the way Hank told us was an advert for a furniture store).

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete

On 25/02/2016 at 10:36, rhino said:

quality tune got to be one my favourite motown tune or ruben howells cant stop a man in love

Both uniquely 'northern' tracks and both artists sadly no longer with us.

Ed

'Northern' wise Originals suspicion and Temps forever ... are unsurpassable to my lugs.

Generally, Temps since I lost my baby and Four Tops ask the lonely have always made me go goosey.

Erm, that's four isn't it :lol:

Too many to list, as said previously, different ones depending on the mood I'm in, current faves are Isleys - All because I love you, Martha Reeves -  My Baby Loves Me, Earl Van Dyke - Philly Dog, Hattie Littles - Love Trouble Heartache & Misery never tire of this, part way in all the brass section kicks in, they hit it with everything they've got, even probably the kitchen sink, most 4 Tops 60's stuff, when Levi Stubbs starts to sing his voice is just perfection, Temptations 60's ditto

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.