Guest johnny hart

Your Fave Motown Track.

11 hours ago, shufflin said:

I can't explain it but I've been going through a Jackie Wilson phase recently, I just think his sounds have aged very well and just sound SO good

Why did Jackie not sign for motown?

Jackie was managed by Nat Tarnapol (who also took over the reins at Brunswick) whom Berry Gordy had previously worked for as a songwriter. Jackie was Nats flagship artist. Nat was very well connected (if you know what I mean), and neither Berry nor Jackie thought it would be a good idea to try to mess with Nats meal ticket. Plus, Jackie did pretty well financially with Nat, although many of the songwriters had their royalties diverted or outright stolen.

I loved his dancing............

Ed

6 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Jackie was managed by Nat Tarnapol (who also took over the reins at Brunswick) whom Berry Gordy had previously worked for as a songwriter. Jackie was Nats flagship artist. Nat was very well connected (if you know what I mean), and neither Berry nor Jackie thought it would be a good idea to try to mess with Nats meal ticket. Plus, Jackie did pretty well financially with Nat, although many of the songwriters had their royalties diverted or outright stolen.

This came up in another thread recently:

Can only add that another reason why Jackie Wilson got "stuck" in Chicago is that he seemed to be avoiding his ex-wife in New York, where he would have preferred to record, because she was after him for alimony - this according to Carl Davis. The material on Tarnapol doesn't paint him in a rosy light, but Jackie was certainly a meal ticket for someone - Davis tells the story of Jackie being held by his ankles out of a skyscraper window, and as for his finances, it seems that various fellow artists were involved in paying for his medical care, funeral and burial. Sadly, while Jackie's account did well with Nat, he had very restricted access.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:28, tomangoes said:

I loved his dancing............

Ed

Despite buying it several years ago i just got round to reading Lonely Teardrops - The Jackie Wilson Story by Tony Douglas. His relationship with Tarnopol and the Mob are well documented and as a result of this, Jackie wasnt in control of his own finances. His shocking death and events after it are, to say the least, harrowing. Its probably the best, but most upsetting, biography ive ever read. Anyone with even the slightest interest in him will find it a fascinating read.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links