Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Guest johnny hart

Your Fave Motown Track.

Recommended Posts

One of my most played Motown 45's is Platinum Hook -  Words of Love from 1980, a way better version than that on the 1982 Leon Ware California LP. I now notice the sub for the unreleased Motown LP by PH has appeared on Discogs, and Words of Love is approx 1.15 longer. Does anyone own a copy of this LP and if so what's the rest like? https://www.discogs.com/Platinum-Hook-Ecstasy-Paradise/release/8841095 

Whilst playing through some jazz fusion LP's in the last few weeks, I spun the Motown Flight LP 5 or 6 times. Overall it's just mediocre, mainly instrumental, but there is one vocal track I am hooked on, Face To Face. Check it out:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple magic for me  :

 The Velvelettes - These things will keep me loving you

The Contours - little misunderstanding

The Isley Brothers - This old heart of mine

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have already said, on both this and previous similar threads, picking just one Motown track as your all-time favourite is a complete impossibility. You can only narrow it down to a handful, and even then, that handful could quite easily change from day to day, and from mood to mood. 

Me? I'd have to discount the usual suspects. The LP tracks, rare and unreleased etc. No matter how good these are, instead I'd have to choose a few of the tunes that started most of us "of a certain vintage" out on the long musical road we have now travelled. That means, for want of a better description, "youth club tunes". The ones I personally heard between 68 and 71, and like many others have said, just blew me away. Every  single one of the tunes listed below has a very distinct memory for me. Some happy, some sad, but all indelibly etched into my soul. 

Marvins Little Darlin', Too busy thinking.....

Marvelettes, When you're young and in love

The Velvelettes, These things......

Elgins, Heaven, and Put yourself in my place.

Martha/Vandellas, Jimmy Mack, Third finger......

Stevie, Uptight

EvD, 6x6

4 Tops, something about you. 

Supremes, Nothing but heartaches. (Probably the very best girlie dancer EVER released on the label).

There are, obviously, many many more. But if I carry on listing them, I'll be here all sodding night!

Edited by Joey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could write you a List of 600+ Motown songs that I rate very highly. Two however stand out above the rest. The flip of "This Old Heart Of Mine", "There's No Love Left" by The Isley Brothers, purely because it's got it all, and the other being "It's Wonderful (To Be Loved By You)" by Jimmy Ruffin, solely on the basis that it was the first song played at my wedding in 1979. 

Of the "dancers", maybe "I'll Keep On Holding On" by The Marvelettes or "I'm Grateful" by The Four Tops.

And as for the instrumentals, there's only one, and that's "Lonely One" by The San Remo Golden Strings from the Hungry For Love Anthology album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

I could write you a List of 600+ Motown songs that I rate very highly. Two however stand out above the rest. The flip of "This Old Heart Of Mine", "There's No Love Left" by The Isley Brothers, purely because it's got it all, and the other being "It's Wonderful (To Be Loved By You)" by Jimmy Ruffin, solely on the basis that it was the first song played at my wedding in 1979. 

Of the "dancers", maybe "I'll Keep On Holding On" by The Marvelettes or "I'm Grateful" by The Four Tops.

And as for the instrumentals, there's only one, and that's "Lonely One" by The San Remo Golden Strings from the Hungry For Love Anthology album.

new to me, b sides often the best

 

Edited by shufflin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DaveNPete It's a brilliant instrumental. I'm Satisfied, Hungry For Love, Festival Time and Still Hungry are all very very good instrumentals too. Check out The San Remo Strings version of Chris Clark's - Day By Day Or Never if you get the chance. Detroit Theme, by them is a goodie too.

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Last sentence didn't make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another goodie that sticks in my mind is "Forget Me Not" by Martha And The Vandellas. How the heck it flopped the first time round in 1968 on Gordy I don't know, but when re-released on the black Tamla Motown label 3 years later it finally got there. I guess being put on UK Motown Chartbusters Vol 5 helped it to. The other bit I never got was why they shortened the original Gordy version for the re-release.

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Last sentence didn't make sense, plus I wanted to add more info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

DaveNPete It's a brilliant instrumental. I'm Satisfied, Hungry For Love, Festival Time and Still Hungry are all very very good instrumentals too. Check out The San Remo Strings version of Chris Clark's - Day By Day Or Never if you get the chance. Detroit Theme, all by them is a goodie too.

Funny, but in all these years you're the first I've heard mention the SRS "Day by day or never" track. To me, it's vying with "All turned on" as their very best. I tried playing it a few times in 74, off the "Swing" LP, but it just didn't get people onto the floor. In fact, if I remember right, it bloody well cleared it every time! Just too slow for folks back then I suppose. Still a fantastic piece of music though. 

Edit:- ten minutes later, and thanks to the wonderful medium of YouTube, I've just listened to it for the first time in decades. Christ, what a great tune. Looking back, and remembering how popular instrumentals were back then, I just can't understand why it wasn't an absolute monster. 

 

Edited by Joey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Joey

Firstly may I say that other than my wife, and 2 girls, I have never ever heard anyone else mention it. For that matter, I've only every heard the Chris Clark VIP vocal mentioned a couple of times in as near as matters not, 50 years. I've got the Swing album, and the Hungry For You Anthology along with a digital copy of each, so they do get played a lot. Lonely One is the real beaut amongst the lot and wouldn't have been amiss at Stafford (I think) with all the slower heavier tunes they often played. I feel Day By Day Or Never should have been right up there with the best of the instrumentals. Wasn't "All Turned On" attributed to Bob Wilson and The San Remo Quartet or something like?. It's odd because in recent years a couple of Motown tunes have emerged from the archives that would have been monsters had they been released when first recorded, namely "Sweet Was The Love" by The Four Tops, and "Shake Hands With A Dreamer" by Jimmy Ruffin. I managed to find this on You Tube. The San Remo Golden Strings - Lonely One 

 

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Added extra info and corrected spelling mistakes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gogs said:

Can't remember if this has been mentioned and don't want to go through all the pages again, but if it comes down to instrumentals this is my choice.

 

Still the benchmark for all Motown instrumentals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MotownSoulMan said:

Hi Joey

Firstly may I say that other than my wife, and 2 girls, I have never ever heard anyone else mention it. For that matter, I've only every heard the Chris Clark VIP vocal mentioned a couple of times in as near as matters not, 50 years. I've got the Swing album, and the Hungry For You Anthology along with a digital copy of each, so they do get played a lot. Lonely One is the real beaut amongst the lot and wouldn't have been amiss at Stafford (I think) with all the slower heavier tunes they often played. I feel Day By Day Or Never should have been right up there with the best of the instrumentals. Wasn't "All Turned On" attributed to Bob Wilson and The San Remo Quartet or something like?. It's odd because in recent years a couple of Motown tunes have emerged from the archives that would have been monsters had they been released when first recorded, namely "Sweet Was The Love" by The Four Tops, and "Shake Hands With A Dreamer" by Jimmy Ruffin. I managed to find this on You Tube. The San Remo Golden Strings - Lonely One 

 

Yeah, "All turned on" attributed to Bob Wilson and the SRQ. Different moniker, but same peeps! 

"Day by day or never" Has to be my favourite Chris Clark track. Just sublime. 

"Lonely man"? Never did really like it that much. As before, just too slow to be big back in the early to mid seventies. 

Jimmy Ruffin's "Shake hands with a  dreamer" is beyond superb. There's an artist who was as brilliant as he was underrated. Never gets a mention when people speak of the Motown "greats", but he never, ever disappointed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of JR have a listen to his slowed down version of the Velvelettes - Lonely, Lonely Man Am I + Isleys - All because I Love You with a killer guitar riff, two great tracks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

3 hours ago, Joey said:

"Lonely man"? Never did really like it that much. As before, just too slow to be big back in the early to mid seventies. 

It's locked in the boss' brain - I hear the hook whistled AT LEAST once a day.

Dx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

It's locked in the boss' brain - I hear the hook whistled AT LEAST once a day.

Dx

Lol. I've been singing "Day by day or never" all sodding morning! Gotta laff, eh? 🙂

BTW, as an aside, tell Pete the Boss we know each other. if not by name, then by sight, from the Pendulum days. Cant remember his surname. Then again in the 90s, we met at Dennis and Gail Billinghams house when he was there with Lenny from Rochdale among others. Then, one ore time at Greg Pollitts 40th b-day do. He should recognise me from the pics in my profile gallery. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joey said:

Lol. I've been singing "Day by day or never" all sodding morning! Gotta laff, eh? 🙂

BTW, as an aside, tell Pete the Boss we know each other. if not by name, then by sight, from the Pendulum days. Cant remember his surname. Then again in the 90s, we met at Dennis and Gail Billinghams house when he was there with Lenny from Rochdale among others. Then, one ore time at Greg Pollitts 40th b-day do. He should recognise me from the pics in my profile gallery. 

 

Yes I was there too at Dennis' (Pete was with me then - though we brought Len too) and at Greg's 40th - we took Les Cokell - that must be nigh-on 25 years ago. He's Pete Whitney from Radcliffe - I was the one he had scurrying across the empty dancefloor with the lights up chasing an E he'd dropped at Greg's do. Funnily enough when we were clearing out his dad's place when he passed away we found a box of his old medals etc and in the bottom of it was a Pendulum patch same as your avatar that Pete had never seen before! Pete ain't so well nowadays (65, bad asthma, bouts of pneumonia and chest infections etc)  - hence our not going out, though he's fairly active on Facebook. Dx

Edited by DaveNPete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Yes I was there too at Dennis' (Pete was with me then - though we brought Len too) and at Greg's 40th - that must be nigh-on 25 years ago. He's Pete Whitney from Radcliffe - I was the one he had scurrying across the empty dancefloor with the lights up chasing an E he'd dropped at Greg's do. Funnily enough when we were clearing out his dad's place when he passed away we found a box of his old medals etc and in the bottom of it was a Pendulum patch same as your avatar that Pete had never seen before! Pete ain't so well nowadays (65, bad asthma, bouts of pneumonia and chest infections etc)  - hence our not going out, though he's fairly active on Facebook. Dx

Lol. Remember that incident at Gregs party well.  Didn't know it was an escaped E though, otherwise I may well have been "helping" to find it 😂 Good party. I remember dancing with Gregs Mum at one point, totally off my tits, blocked to high heaven! Think we all went to a Niter afterwards, Droylsden maybe? A crying shame that both Greg and Gail died so young. Greg and I went back a long, long way. Must've been '71 when we first knew each other. BTW, that party would have been 23 years ago. 

Havent seen Lenny for god knows how long. Must be at least fifteen years now. 

Really sorry to hear that Pete isn't in the best of health. We're all getting on a bit now, so I suppose we're all a lot more susceptible to all sorts. Give him my best wishes for a speedy recovery etc. 

Pendulum patches? Ha, more than just a tale or two to tell about THAT place😂 I'm still in touch with a few people from back then, Linda Spencer from Rochdale amongst them. I'm sure he'll remember here. Used to be friendly with Judy Moss, Pat Nolan etc. 

Edited by Joey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it was Droylesdon after Greg's 50th - we were gong through barrow loads of Evan's finest, powder and Es back then.

Judy and Glen were due to come up for the weekend two weeks ago but Pete was on intravenous antibiotics three times a day so it wasn't practical. Greg was a lovely chap - and Gail as well of course - I remember the 'Do Not Disturb' sign he used to hang round his neck at Cottons when he was off on one.

Lenny never goes out and has cut himself off from pretty much everyone apart from RS and Judith and Richard and Jill Hillel (he does their garden). Of course Les was dead two weeks after his 50th birthday.
Dx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Yes it was Droylesdon after Greg's 50th - we were gong through barrow loads of Evan's finest, powder and Es back then.

Judy and Glen were due to come up for the weekend two weeks ago but Pete was on intravenous antibiotics three times a day so it wasn't practical. Greg was a lovely chap - and Gail as well of course - I remember the 'Do Not Disturb' sign he used to hang round his neck at Cottons when he was off on one.

Lenny never goes out and has cut himself off from pretty much everyone apart from RS and Judith and Richard and Jill Hillel (he does their garden). Of course Les was dead two weeks after his 50th birthday.
Dx

Greg was one of the best mates I had on the early 70s scene, and we met up again when I returned in the 90s. Couldn't have wished for a nicer bloke. Gail and Dennis were actually responsible for me returning, after bumping into them at a Niter up here in Scotland. Again, just really nice people. 

Sorry to hear about Lenny and Les. Just more casualties to add to the list. I did hear that Lens mum died a while ago, and that must have hit him very hard.

Last saw Richard about fifteen years ago at a Kings Hall do. I think Gill had stopped going by then. 

If you do ever get to be in Judy Moss' company again, please do give her my very best wishes. Such a lovely woman. Another from the old Torch/Pendulum days. Not too many left I fear. 

ATB,

Joey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Martin S said:

Played this superb track yesterday off the 1975 LP:

 

love the whole LP, 'don't turn the lights off' I think is only available on this LP, great track

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

Had this on the brain all evening. Brenda Holloway, Just Look What You've Done, filmed on American Bandstand on May 6th 1967

 

 

Probably just about the best double sider ever released by TM in the U.K. Two absolutely storming dancers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2018 at 23:07, DaveNPete said:

Isley Brothers - wonderful record, I prefer this to Lonely One (though Pete would disagree):
 

 

the thread is titled   "your fave MOTOWN track"   😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In which case there's nothing for it but to post some Meatloaf (with Stoney) - think yourself lucky it could've been Granny Ryan or something on Spokane : )
 

 

Edited by DaveNPete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DaveNPete  From my point of view, you're posts are on the level, so just keep on trucking mate. There's always been this ambiguity with the Motown stable of labels, same as it's been there on the Northern Soul scene, since certain unmentionable jocks started spinning trash at niters etc. We all know what supermarionation tv series theme I mean, and which national radio dj masquerading under an alias I mean too. Others will always have a different opinion, and we wouldn't be human if we didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 15:27, Guest johnny hart said:

Time for another dig into the Snakepit!  Pointless Choices to include ;  Current plays out /Faves, LP tracks,Dusty oldies , And Boots!  My 2 too Go ;; Sinner Man " Val Simpson" {lp only?, PS go,wan , Go, wan show us yours you little minx!] .  " Can:t Shake It Loose" Diana Ross& Andantes, Love Child Lp . gracias LOL Johnny.

Issued Or Including " In The Can " e.c.t. Including Labels Like I.P.G. - Melody-Anna-Miracle-Harvey-House Of Beauty-United Artist-Chess , On And On.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, IanP said:

the thread is titled   "your fave MOTOWN track"   😉

What Percentage Of The Session People Were " Motown Studio Players " ??? - Undercover Motown ! ( I'm Gonna Get Myself A Secret Spy ) or is it all " Cloud Nine " I'm Doing Fine ( That's what The Doctor Say's ) But Still Hearing The VOICES !!  .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 23:42, tomangoes said:

Here's a happy go lucky toon for tonight..

Ed

Sublime " Paul Williams " On Lead Vocals As Featured On The Temps First Album " Meet The Temptations " Gordy 911 - 1964 .

The Third single Issued By The TEMP's , On  GORDY 7015  In 1963 , Eventually Saw Release in 1967 In The U.K. As The B-side of TMG 673 - ( Loneliness Made Me Realise ) It's You That I Need .

 

Edited by earlvandykes6
Back Ground Info - Updated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 14:26, DaveNPete said:

Yes I was there too at Dennis' (Pete was with me then - though we brought Len too) and at Greg's 40th - we took Les Cokell - that must be nigh-on 25 years ago. He's Pete Whitney from Radcliffe - I was the one he had scurrying across the empty dancefloor with the lights up chasing an E he'd dropped at Greg's do. Funnily enough when we were clearing out his dad's place when he passed away we found a box of his old medals etc and in the bottom of it was a Pendulum patch same as your avatar that Pete had never seen before! Pete ain't so well nowadays (65, bad asthma, bouts of pneumonia and chest infections etc)  - hence our not going out, though he's fairly active on Facebook. Dx

Sorry To Hear About Pete's Health Issues ! , Our Life-style Through The Mid Sixties Did not Help, Joey's Recolections Ringing Loud And Clear .

I Recall The Many Hours That Pete Talked About Visiting MARY WELLS And Her Start With Illness ? , You And Pete May Recognise The Guy On The Right Of My Avatar - Les Jenkinson (Jenksy ) . The Last Time We Met ??  Brenda Holloway At The Burnley Mechanics Along With Judy & Glen - Gill & Richard- Gail & Dennis -  Myself ( Dave ) & Gail ! Or Possibly When Stu Russell & Mike Ritson ( Bee Cool Publication) Went On sale At Cleethorpes , Possible That Keith Rylatt Was At That one ( Barbra Lynn-Gene Chandler-Olly Woodson) Whichever 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, earlvandykes6 said:

Sorry To Hear About Pete's Health Issues ! , Our Life-style Through The Mid Sixties Did not Help, Joey's Recolections Ringing Loud And Clear .

I Recall The Many Hours That Pete Talked About Visiting MARY WELLS And Her Start With Illness ? , You And Pete May Recognise The Guy On The Right Of My Avatar - Les Jenkinson (Jenksy ) . The Last Time We Met ??  Brenda Holloway At The Burnley Mechanics Along With Judy & Glen - Gill & Richard- Gail & Dennis -  Myself ( Dave ) & Gail ! Or Possibly When Stu Russell & Mike Ritson ( Bee Cool Publication) Went On sale At Cleethorpes , Possible That Keith Rylatt Was At That one ( Barbra Lynn-Gene Chandler-Olly Woodson) Whichever 

We've only been to Cleethorpes once - when Judith needed a lift (DG gave us a copy of the book as a present - though it got nicked). Burnley Mechanics - I remember the boss being dragged on stage to duet with Brenda coz she forgot all the lyrics (the next time we did her a folder with them all in) and Gill saying 'I didn't know he knew her THAT well!' I only know Wheel people through Pete on the whole (Tony Davidson, young Mr Sneddon etc). At Fleetwood we looked after both Barbara Lynn and Gene Chandler (who was a complete coked up twat to the band - pushing over and injuring one of the backing singers backstage and VERY nearly getting twatted by the doormen). Dx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep I'm Mixing Up The " Calla Gran " With The Other Venues ! , I Recall Pete Having To Prompt " Brenda " , I Was Just Checking The Details That Val Box Has Posted ! , You Mentioning The " Wheel " Reminds Me Of So Many Characters ?? , First Meeting Val & Dave in 67/68  Also Cleggy & Dave Price - Dave Meikel - Mafia DAVE , So Many Daves That I Prefered To Be Known As " Slat Lad " The Dave- From HYDE ".

It Is So So Sad To Have Bid Farewell - Two DAVE'S  Who Have Made A Massive Difference To OUR SOUL SCENE 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2018 at 15:12, MotownSoulMan said:

shufflin Cheers for posting that. It's glorious. You're also quite correct when you say some flip sides are the better side too.

Technically, "I'm Satisfied" wasn't a Motown production, even if a handful of current Motown musicians played on it.  George McGregor, who wrote and helped produced it, only played sporadically as a fill-in at Motown, and wasn't employed by them at the time.  Golden World Studio was not yet owned and re-configured to Motown's specifications.  It was a Don Davis, Solit Hitbound production.  I wouldn't list any of those among my favourite "Motown" recordings.  The San Remo Golden Strings, DID, I believe, record a few cuts under The Motown Regime, just after the Golden World buyout.  THOSE would be eligible to be favourite Motown cuts.

Edited by RobbK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2018 at 14:21, DaveNPete said:

We've only been to Cleethorpes once - when Judith needed a lift (DG gave us a copy of the book as a present - though it got nicked). Burnley Mechanics - I remember the boss being dragged on stage to duet with Brenda coz she forgot all the lyrics (the next time we did her a folder with them all in) and Gill saying 'I didn't know he knew her THAT well!' I only know Wheel people through Pete on the whole (Tony Davidson, young Mr Sneddon etc). At Fleetwood we looked after both Barbara Lynn and Gene Chandler (who was a complete coked up twat to the band - pushing over and injuring one of the backing singers backstage and VERY nearly getting twatted by the doormen). Dx

Barbara Lynn at Fleetwood was amazing, special night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts



×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.