Guest johnny hart

Your Fave Motown Track.

13 hours ago, MotownSoulMan said:

Scootboy I'll stick with that theme. The flip of Way Over There, If My Heart Could Tell The Story from 1968. Glorious 👍

In fact, i'll raise you a 1968 album track, from Soul Master, Time Is Passin' By

Edwin's Version Has The Edge On The MONITORS Single ! " Just " . Shame It Wasn't L.P. Cut Of " Running Backing And Fourth " The Extended Intro ! - Is Great .Extra Comment

Edited by earlvandykes6
Extra Comment !

1 hour ago, Bruv said:

Deserves a mention on this wonderful thread, What a cover the Four Tops did of the Left Banke spin - Walk Away Renee never tire of hearing this played out Loud...:thumbsup: :hatsoff2:

Up there with "Just as long as you need me" in equal first place for my favourite all time Tops tune. Levi's voice never fails to make the hairs stand on end, and sometimes bring a tear to the eye. 

First answer that comes straight to my mind. Probably a combination of a killer voice and the memory of sneaking out of school at dinner down to the local greasy spoon café and coughing up (literally) for 'a single' No 6 ciggy, the fag of the moment, supercool newbie !

Lot later maybe go for Isley Brothers - Tell Me It's Just A Rumour Baby

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 02:52, Majy said:

Has to be this one for me. Takes me to my happy place.

A Great track From Eddie ! , I Just Love His " I Couldn't Cry If I wanted Too " ( also a Temptations B-Side ) ?, The Isley's Version Of " Leaving Here " Also Like.

Some great tunes above but not a patch on this, in my opinion. This is the Jean Terrell, Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong line up of The Supremes, and is essentially a misnamed song, originally meant to be called Stone Love, according to producer Frank Wilson. 

The Supremes - Stoned Love - 1970. Motown MS 720 (Original Album Version)

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Corrected spelling mistake

3 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

Some great tunes above but not a patch on this, in my opinion. This is the Jean Terrell, Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong line up of The Supremes, and is essentially a misnamed song, originally meant to be called Stone Love, according to producer Frank Wilson. 

The Supremes - Stoned Love - 1970. Motown M 1172 (Original Album Version)

Still a great and under-appreciated record after all these years, but my favourite from this particular line-up will, always be "Bill, when are you coming back?". Absolutely sublime. 

2 minutes ago, Joey said:

Still a great and under-appreciated record after all these years, but my favourite from this particular line-up will, always be "Bill, when are you coming back?". Absolutely sublime. 

Aye, that was a very good song too. I think it came off this line ups first album Right On, but I ain't sure without looking.

19 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

Aye, that was a very good song too. I think it came off this line ups first album Right On, but I ain't sure without looking.

Yeah, pretty sure that it was released off "Right On", as the B side to "Up the ladder....", another of my (very few) favourites from 1970.

28 minutes ago, Joey said:

Yeah, pretty sure that it was released off "Right On", as the B side to "Up the ladder....", another of my (very few) favourites from 1970.

Yes, you are correct. I just dug both the album and the single out to check. I also agree that for 1970 songs, they are both right up there with the best.

13 minutes ago, Bruv said:

Always had a soft spot for this number from Mary Wells - What's Easy For Two Is So Hard For One   :)  :hatsoff2:

Quality. Takes me back to my early teenage years at the local youth club. 👍

One song that's been played to death by me since it got released in 2005, and one song that i'll never figure out why it wasn't released in 1968 when it was recorded, instead of being left in the vaults. It would have been a monster.

The Four Tops - Sweet Was The Love

33 minutes ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

IMHO, a great Motown song is Levis Stubbs & James Jammerson cover of "Bernadette" (only Levi's voice and the bass!). I have it in a old domestical cassette that a english friend of mine send me on a VV. AA. selection. I don't have found it in youtube.

Is that the one where Levi only sings one word, "Bernadette"?, cuz if it is. I think it's on Standing In The Shadows Of Motown

39 minutes ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

IMHO, a great Motown song is Levis Stubbs & James Jammerson cover of "Bernadette" (only Levi's voice and the bass!). I have it in a old domestical cassette that a english friend of mine send me on a VV. AA. selection. I don't have found it in youtube.

Can't find "Bernadette" but did find this - 

22 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

Is that the one where Levi only sings one word, "Bernadette"?, cuz if it is. I think it's on Standing In The Shadows Of Motown

No. He sang many different verses, my english is not very fine to understand the lyrics but among other things he sang "(…) searching and searching and never find love…"

There's a certain poignancy to the lyrics and general feel of the Supremes track. Very apt, given when the song was written and performed, during the latter stages of the Vietnam war. Makes a change from the type of anti-war lyrics so common at the time. The song also strikes a chord with anyone who has been in the forces at anytime, or worked/travelled in a war zone.  Has to be up there alongside "Nothing but heartaches" as my all-time favourite Supremes track. 

The Tops track? Levi at his absolute gut wrenching heartbreaking very best. 'Nuff said. 

3 minutes ago, Joey said:

There's a certain poignancy to the lyrics and general feel of the Supremes track. Very apt, given when the song was written and performed, during the latter stages of the Vietnam war. Makes a change from the type of anti-war lyrics so common at the time. The song also strikes a chord with anyone who has been in the forces at anytime, or worked/travelled in a war zone.  Has to be up there alongside "Nothing but heartaches" as my all-time favourite Supremes track. 

The Tops track? Levi at his absolute gut wrenching heartbreaking very best. 'Nuff said. 

Absolutely spot on. That's exactly the inspiration behind the song. You're also quite correct when you say it strikes a chord with anyone who's been in the Armed Forces, (Only job I ever had), especially anyone who's been to a theatre of war.

As for The Four Tops and Levi Stubbs, you're bang on the button too.

17 minutes ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

No. He sang many different verses, my english is not very fine to understand the lyrics but among other things he sang "(…) searching and searching and never find love…"

Oh, OK. I'll keep on looking for it. Someone will know it.

The  version of Bernadette your after is on one of the Singing Machine Original Artist Motown Karaoke Cds , long deleted were available in USA Walmarts for a few dollars and on Amazon in the UK for a few pounds now horrendous prices.They had both the released version with vocals and the original backing tracks so you could sing to them all awesome !! and all amazing versions in their own right

Edited by Thriller

josep manuel concernau robles

Does this answer your question?.

The version of Bernadette your after is on one of the Singing Machine Original Artist Motown Karaoke Cds , long deleted were available in USA Walmarts for a few dollars and on Amazon in the UK for a few pounds now horrendous prices.They had both the released version with vocals and the original backing tracks so you could sing to them all awesome !! and allamazing versions in their own right. C/o Thriller in the post above this one.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.