Guest johnny hart profile photo

Your Fave Motown Track.

Audio Lists Guest johnny hart

Posted
11 hours ago, shufflin said:

I can't explain it but I've been going through a Jackie Wilson phase recently, I just think his sounds have aged very well and just sound SO good

Why did Jackie not sign for motown?

Jackie was managed by Nat Tarnapol (who also took over the reins at Brunswick) whom Berry Gordy had previously worked for as a songwriter. Jackie was Nats flagship artist. Nat was very well connected (if you know what I mean), and neither Berry nor Jackie thought it would be a good idea to try to mess with Nats meal ticket. Plus, Jackie did pretty well financially with Nat, although many of the songwriters had their royalties diverted or outright stolen.

I loved his dancing............

Ed

• Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Jackie was managed by Nat Tarnapol (who also took over the reins at Brunswick) whom Berry Gordy had previously worked for as a songwriter. Jackie was Nats flagship artist. Nat was very well connected (if you know what I mean), and neither Berry nor Jackie thought it would be a good idea to try to mess with Nats meal ticket. Plus, Jackie did pretty well financially with Nat, although many of the songwriters had their royalties diverted or outright stolen.

This came up in another thread recently:

Can only add that another reason why Jackie Wilson got "stuck" in Chicago is that he seemed to be avoiding his ex-wife in New York, where he would have preferred to record, because she was after him for alimony - this according to Carl Davis. The material on Tarnapol doesn't paint him in a rosy light, but Jackie was certainly a meal ticket for someone - Davis tells the story of Jackie being held by his ankles out of a skyscraper window, and as for his finances, it seems that various fellow artists were involved in paying for his medical care, funeral and burial. Sadly, while Jackie's account did well with Nat, he had very restricted access.

soul source url
Posted
On 11/14/2017 at 10:28, tomangoes said:

I loved his dancing............

Ed

Despite buying it several years ago i just got round to reading Lonely Teardrops - The Jackie Wilson Story by Tony Douglas. His relationship with Tarnopol and the Mob are well documented and as a result of this, Jackie wasnt in control of his own finances. His shocking death and events after it are, to say the least, harrowing. Its probably the best, but most upsetting, biography ive ever read. Anyone with even the slightest interest in him will find it a fascinating read.

soul source url
Posted

Another Tamla Motown favourite of mine -  Bobby Taylor's - Don't Be Afraid  :thumbsup:  :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 6

soul source url
Posted

Four tops ask the lonely .unbelievable song

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Ivy Jo Hunter-Only a lonely man....Awesome unreleased track....What I'd give to hear the Unreleased Album in it's entirety........

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

I remember visiting the Ritz in Brighouse for the first time around 20 years ago and I heard a track that night I'd never heard before, it hit me sideways I just had to get it the next day and I've loved it ever since. 'What More Could A Boy Ask For' by The Spinners. Honourable mention too to the most requested track at my Friday night gig over the last 12 months - 'My Love Is Your Love (Forever)' by The Isley Brothers which someone introduced to me and blew me away. It sums up Tamla Motown perfectly for me.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)

There are just too many to choose from really (specially with Pete being a complete Motown obsessive) - here's a couple of left field ones I love too...

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted

Since my teens I have been a big fan of practically ALL the 70's stuff by Marvin and The Tempts and also a big fan of ALL the stuff (60's and 70's) by Stevie Wonder. But If I should to select "ONE" track, this one is the Motown track I have heard thousand of times, from one of my favorite albums by Jerry Butler ("Love's On The Menu", the other J.B. favorite album is also from Motown, the next album called "Suite For The Single Girl"). Fromm 1976, the great leon Ware production - songwriting work, Jerry Butler's "Thank You Early Bird":

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Why when the love has gone - Isley Brothers

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Tammi Terrell- This Old Heart Of Mine, first heard it played at a youth club when I was about 14, it alerted me to the fact that there was more to Motown than I was hearing on Top Of The Pops! Never looked back since!

soul source url
Posted

My favourite from the Wonderful Chris Clark - Somethings Wrong  :yes:  :hatsoff2:  

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Right now, I'm loving this:

Ed

• Up vote 8

soul source url
Posted

Loving this one from the Great Jimmy Ruffin - Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got   :thumbsup:  :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

It won't be new to anyone at all. I'm a huge fan of the Tamla girl bands, this one was a biggie at 'Up The Junction' way before my time of course but my elder sister was a regular and played it to death at home, I've literally loved it since I kicked my legs to it in Mothers' womb. 

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Another personal favourite, known to all and hopefully loved by all! 

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Velvelletes Motown/northern these things will keep me loving you. Lovely record. 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
On 12/06/2018 at 20:17, Bruv said:

Another Tamla Motown favourite of mine -  Bobby Taylor's - Don't Be Afraid  :thumbsup:  :hatsoff2:

Stunning soul record, superb vocals. Got a sealed copy of the album from the states last year - absolute bargain.

Pete

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted

Absolutely brilliant 

soul source url
Posted

There are so many Motown tracks I love 

soul source url
Posted

I’ve got so many Heaven in your arms 

soul source url
Posted

EPIC

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
28 minutes ago, richo991 said:

Absolutely brilliant 

What is?

:g:

soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, RC166 said:

EPIC

Yep, thats good.

P

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
6 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

What is?

:g:

Brenda Holloways are brilliant....

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Another one that I can't stop listening 

• Up vote 5

soul source url
Posted

Big favourite of mine from Marv - Ain't That Peculiar  :)  :hatsoff2: 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
23 minutes ago, Bruv said:

Big favourite of mine from Marv - Ain't That Peculiar  :)  :hatsoff2: 

Nice female take

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Another masterpiece!

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

classic stevie 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

just love this

soul source url
Posted

big tune in its day

soul source url
Posted

Memories for me of playing this Magnificent Motown sound from Jimmy Ruffin as last record of the night in my early days of running a mobile disco! :wink: 

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

He sung it well in Denaby in the mid 80s...Adeles.

Probably most famous singer ever to perform there!

Ed

soul source url
Posted

It's a Stevie Wonder weekend for me 😎

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Just loving this old classic....not heard it in yonks.

Ed

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Fabulous flip side to I'll Turn To Stone from The Tops - 7 Rooms Of Gloom   :yes:  :hatsoff2:  

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

In Motown we trust,

I can't stop moving to this tune

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

My choices so far

tm.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Going to put this up, I've got the demo( but it's in my number 6 box so not heard it for years,I think i will have to move it).

soul source url
Posted

Finally picked up on an awesome french picture label. Just great

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

I remember around 1978 - 79 when was published the single here in Spain, herding it dozens of times. Smokey's "Being With You". The promotional videoclip appears on spanish music TV program "Aplauso!" a saturday and the next monday I comes to the music store:

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Another one, with a dramatic crescendo, and more Philly than Motown (is from one of the Eddie's Motown albums produced by Norman Harris). Is perhaps the song I have played more by Eddie Kendricks solo stuff

soul source url
Posted

Still love this, what a belter!

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

J.J. also did a fine version- 

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, soulatthedale said:

Still love this, what a belter!

"Belter"…? uuummmm… ALL my Motown vynils published in Spain (some others were published in the US), were "BELTER" 😎

images.jpeg

stevie-wonder-songs-in-the-key-of-life-16-ab.jpg

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Fabulous Tamla from the Isley Brothers - Behind A Painted Smile  

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Bruv said:

Fabulous Tamla from the Isley Brothers - Behind A Painted Smile  

The other side's (in the UK) a far better piece of soul music IMO.
Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Another blinder...

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Guest profile photo