Guest johnny hart

Your Fave Motown Track.

Curious! Returning to Levi Stubbs and The Four Tops topic, casually I have been watching (for the third or fourth time!) the Cohen Bros. film "Blood Simple" and the OST includes Four Top's "It's The Same Old Song" that seems when starts the same intro that "Time" covered by Mighty Clouds Of Joy (nothing in common with the original by Jackie Moore).

Apologies for jumping in, whilst not having read most posts yet, but The Spinners-We're gonna be more than friends "makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up" amongst some great unreleased Motown items!(Released items also included)

I must apologise to the late interjection in this thread, but now having read through it, realise how much still the Motown Sound still means to me, whilst I am an avid collector, of said entire portfolio, it was great to be reminded of some of the actual tunes, that I hadn't heard for a while! 

Edited by wilxy

On 04/04/2017 at 11:16, 25miles said:

personally prefer Brenda Holloway's version of "all I do is think about you"

piano break is a killer !!

been diggin' why when love is gone..................originals...........for some time

Just been skim reading post to see if this had been up suggestion.....

Fabulous track....

5 hours ago, tomangoes said:

It's a great soulful version by a wonderful group...

But on the dance floor the Isleys is like an electric shock, you just have to move to it....fast!

Ed

Ha Ha. It has actually been suggested by Soul Hippy a few days ago, but it's a way better than The Originals version that Paul Jr put up, not that there's any problem with The Originals version, cuz there isn't.

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Removed YouTube link

6 minutes ago, the yank said:

What a great B side  !  

I'm all out of likes but that is another of the ones that I'd classify as proper Motown "Northern", great record

Edited by shufflin

7 minutes ago, shufflin said:

brings back memories of the early 80's for me, a neighbour at one time was a scooter lad and we would play records loud at each other through the semi walls 🙂

Great tune mate. I must admit that I like the first recording of it on The Second Album by The Four Tops, the year before as well.

15 minutes ago, the yank said:

Not my "Favorite Motown Track" (I don't think

I could narrow it down to a Top 50 but .....

What a great B side  ! 

I don't think I could narrow my love of Motown to a top 200 let alone 50. A fair old chunk of those would be flip sides and album tracks too. That Temptations song is a goodie

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Added info

35 minutes ago, wilxy said:

A couple of additions from me must include -Baby come home to me -Shorty Long & Temptations-Hey girl from the Cloud nine LP.....

Baby Come Home To Me is a great tune. Very underrated and underplayed

8 minutes ago, shufflin said:

1959, Berry Gordy sound, what a nice label isn't it, and a Twisted Wheel classic

Good choice from the pre Motown era as we know it.

He put this out a couple of years later.

Barrett Strong - Money And Me. 1961. Tamla 54035 with You Got What It Takes on the flip.

4 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

He put this out a couple of years later.

what's interesting is that the 1959 record sounds more "modern" in 2019 than the 1961 record, ridiculous comment in some ways but there you go, "Money" has aged well

6 minutes ago, shufflin said:

what's interesting is that the 1959 record sounds more "modern" in 2019 than the 1961 record, ridiculous comment in some ways but there you go, "Money" has aged well

There's nothing ridiculous about it. In my opinion I agree with what you say, and yes, Money has aged really well. It's one of those evergreen songs so important in the heritage of Tamla Motown, much as the Anna label is.

Hi Guys,

As the Original poster ,5 years ago , !! Did a straw poll of top DJs at the Best weekender ever, Goldsouls Benalmadena February 2019 , Ginger Taylor, Kev Roberts ,Keith Fletcher , Sam Rawlinson Etc,etc, Suggested the following on Dance Floor Reaction ;          "A Taste Of Honey " Supremes and 4 Tops ,

"Then" Diana Ross & Supremes & Temptations.

"I,m Truly Yours " Eric & Vikings.

"Stoned Love "{long Spoken Intro } Supremes.

"Keep On Tryin,[Till You Find Love }  Fantastic Four 

"Expressin, My Love " Stu Gardener ,{Motown Chisa}

" Love That Girl " Raphael Saadiq { OK , a perfect Eddie Kendricks & Tempts Pastiche }

" Law Of The Land " The Temptations { A Kev Monster Came From out of Nowhere !!}

LOL Johnny Hart ,Malaga, Spain.

17 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

There's nothing ridiculous about it. In my opinion I agree with what you say, and yes, Money has aged really well. It's one of those evergreen songs so important in the heritage of Tamla Motown, much as the Anna label is.

The original release was on Tamla though - 

barret.jpg

12 minutes ago, the yank said:

The original release was on Tamla though - 

barret.jpg

I was always under the impression that the 10 inch on Anna came first, but it's more than possible that i'm wrong, as I often am. If that's the case, then I stand corrected

12 minutes ago, shufflin said:

been playing that a lot at home recently, here we go

Love that version of Stoned Love. 'Twas the first version I ever heard of it. That's why I posted it last month either on this thread or the Feel Good Friday thread. I didn't think much to the "New Ways But Love Stays" album it first appeared on though. 

2 minutes ago, shufflin said:

Anna was first, I won't debate this further as we will enter OVO territory and the mods will kick my arse 🙂

Thanks for that Jack. 👍 I don't wanna go down that road either cuz I had enough trouble, (well not trouble, but arguments) in that particular thread too. I'd give you a reaction for that, but my tank is flat out of em till tomorrow 😂

3 minutes ago, shufflin said:

anyway last post from me today, have some days off now, I'll just leave this here 🙂

Cracker to knock it on the head with mate. Be good, and if you can't be good, be lucky👍

55 minutes ago, shufflin said:

Anna was first, I won't debate this further as we will enter OVO territory and the mods will kick my arse 🙂

Anna was actually second- "Money" was released on Tamla in August, 1959 and leased to Anna in 1960 .

33 minutes ago, the yank said:

Anna was actually second- "Money" was released on Tamla in August, 1959 and leased to Anna in 1960 .

FAO @shufflin

Thanks for putting that one straight. I stand corrected. I was never sure as you will have read in my conflab with Jack. I looked it up on Discogs just now, before replying, and like I thought they would, they say 1959 as the Anna release date too. I've just looked at 45Cat while typing this and they put the Anna release at 3 months after the Tamla release in November of '59. Sorted mate. I don't take much notice of sites like that now as I usually get a truer answer to stuff on here. Thanks for doing the leg work on that. 👍👏 Just out of interest I blew up a copy of the Anna release label and it does have the 54027 number on it, so that would (with my limited knowledge of record label details) indicate that you are correct too.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts