Guest johnny hart

Your Fave Motown Track.

Posted (edited)
On 10/03/2019 at 23:03, the yank said:

The Marvelettes with a little help from Melvin Franklin - 

A great one for when we're flying high on the way to a nighter (a sadly very rare happening nowadays - Pete's not up to it) - presto changeo alacazam.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete

1 hour ago, DaveNPete said:

A great one for when we're flying high on the way to a nighter (a sadly very rare happening nowadays - Pete's not up to it) - presto changeo alacazam.

Dx

It is one of those songs isn't it?. My Latin isn't up to scratch, in fact it's downright crap, so i'll take your word for that.

6 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

Another cracker. From their first album and flip of Ask The Lonely

great double sider, I've got this on the 45 (which I got for Ask The Lonely) - first heard Where Did You Go on a Tamla Motown Connoisseurs CD compiliation years after I'd got the 45 - then realised I had it on 45! (yes, I know, idiot)

play the flip sides everyone

25 minutes ago, shufflin said:

great double sider, I've got this on the 45 (which I got for Ask The Lonely) - first heard Where Did You Go on a Tamla Motown Connoisseurs CD compiliation years after I'd got the 45 - then realised I had it on 45! (yes, I know, idiot)

play the flip sides everyone

Ha ha. I'd completely forgotten it was on that cd until you just mentioned it. 

On 14/03/2019 at 20:11, the yank said:

"Where Did You Go" is undoubtedly their best B side. I've always liked this one too - 

Ignorance on my part, I'm afraid, sometimes not flipping the vinyl over, and well a sad mistake, but thanks for a kick up the backside, and listening belatedly to a class track.....

Edited by wilxy
Re=write

11 hours ago, Bruv said:

Pretty much perfection from start to finish from Stevie....

That's someone who hasn't to my knowledge featured on this thread before, (Please correct me if I am wrong). Songs In The Key Of Life, though not everyone's cup of tea, is one of the great Motown albums.

To continue both the Stevie Wonder theme, and the fact that "Another Star", taken from the "Songs In The Key Of Life" album is labelled as perfection by @Bruv, I would like to add this, as I think it fits the "perfection" tag too. 

Stevie Wonder - Living For The City (Album version, taken from Inversions) Tamla T 326L 1973

4 minutes ago, Soul Hippy said:

Probably on already but a thing a beauty, some records just get better.

Totally agree with that statement Peter. It's certainly one of those evergreen songs, that certainly "I" never get fed up with listening too. I would say the majority of songs on this thread are of the upbeat variety, but there's a whole lot of slower songs that came out of the Motown stable, that will never, ever die, and many of them will still get airplay in another 60 years time. 

It would take some time for me to work out "the fave" Motown track of mine, that's if it were at all possible to select just one. I'm not a collector of the traditional Motown sound as most of you know, so in terms of artists, for consistency on the label The Dazz Band are my choice. For the moment I'm posting a couple of tracks that would certainly be close to, if not in, my top 10 Motown releases. Both are LP only tracks, the first from a German born artist, it's a cheeky heavy funk track from 1979 with phenomenal synth bass. If you like Captain Sky, and Defunkt, this is unavoidable.

Edited by Martin S

7 minutes ago, Martin S said:

Ozone - Keep On Dancin - Possibly in my top 10 Motown tracks. Extended version of the LP track which is a rather pointless 3.30

Not one i'm familiar with Martin, but then I am the opposite of you, and much prefer the pre '76 music. I'll have to have a root about and see if I have that song somewhere, cuz I quite like it.

1 minute ago, MotownSoulMan said:

Not one i'm familiar with Martin, but then I am the opposite of you, and much prefer the pre '76 music. I'll have to have a root about and see if I have that song somewhere, cuz I quite like it.

I've never heard it and think its brill too

Hi Martin S,

They Did not Fail! "Make Yourself Right at Home " was a US Motown single, 1718mf,bythe Tops with an earlier Frank Wilson track on the flip, "Sing a Song of Yesterday" rather nice ,buy it now on discogs under a Fiver ? 

Cheers John .

Four Tops - Come Make Yourself Right At Home - 1983 

https://www.discogs.com/Four-Tops-Make-Yourself-Right-At-Home/master/1082821

That's interesting John, thanks, I never knew it was on a US 45. I guess that entry may have surfaced on Discogs only in recent years?

It still ranks as a serious failure to me that they didn't release the track in Europe on a 12". It would have sold in huge quantity especially as overall the LP it comes from is poor in my opinion. When one considers how "Treat Her Like A Lady" by the Temptations sold worldwide shortly after, it being a song that's not hugely different, there's no excuse. Shame on any record company that fails to spot such an obvious potential hit. 

Edited by Martin S

Always liked this, and can never understand why it's so underplayed. It's just one of those fabulous oldies, perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon, played very very loud.

Diana Ross and the Supremes - Forever Came Today

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:13, soulatthedale said:

Another great version of a Soul classic

Yep the Awesome Baby Washington on " SUE " U.S.A. or U.K.  ( Like Jerry Butler And Loleatta Holloway- Modern Versions ) .

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 17:38, the yank said:

One more from Mr. Wonder- not his biggest hit, but a fine track - 

Released as a single B side ( TMG 602  1967 ) - Shame that " Be Cool, Be Calm( and keep yourself together ) " &  Angel Baby ( don't you ever leave me ) Were Not ! .

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:36, MotownSoulMan said:

To continue both the Stevie Wonder theme, and the fact that "Another Star", taken from the "Songs In The Key Of Life" album is labelled as perfection by @Bruv, I would like to add this, as I think it fits the "perfection" tag too. 

Stevie Wonder - Living For The City (Album version, taken from Inversions) Tamla T 326L 1973

Brilliant Jazz Funk Version By " Ramsey Lewis " .

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 10:12, Soul Hippy said:

OK upbeat, peeing down outside, gonna be a long weekend and I'm in the wrong part of the country today, but I've got Stevie

So Glad That Richard Searling & co, Added This To The MOTOWN 7's Box Set  

1 hour ago, earlvandykes6 said:

So Glad That Richard Searling & co, Added This To The MOTOWN 7's Box Set  

Mr Hatcher's version always did it for me... Interesting that the writing credits are completely different.

Edited by DaveNPete

Had a hunt yesterday and dug this out, last track on "b" side "eight is enough" instrumental is not bad unfortunately i can't find it on youtube.

IMG_20190319_151739.jpg

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts