Articles: Anyone Who Had A Heart - Burt Bacharach - Book Review

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Roburt

Many thanks for that great review. I would buy this book (at the right price...like you I'm only concerned with the Soul element). But as a fan of the early 60s  New York "Brill Building era", I'm sure those stories are very entertaining.

In the same vein, for anybody interested in all the artists you mention, I'd recommend a book called Brill"Always magic in the air" ( the bomp and brilliance of the  Building era) . by author Ken Emerson. It's a wonderful insight to Brill/1650.......lots of Soul artists covered. A great read.

BTW I was playing an old tape a few hours ago, and on it was a track I've always loved..."My little red book"  by Tony Middleton and Burt Bacharach....perfect for this thread

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The song "My Little Red Book" gets mentioned in a 5 page long section of the BB book. The Manfred Mann + the Love version are talked about + the fact that the song was written for the 'What's New Pussycat' film .... BUT Tony Middleton never gets a mention (either for providing the vocals on BB's version of the song OR with regard to him working with BB at all) ...... SAD OMISSION ME THINKS. 

Didn't Tony sing this song live when he was on @ Cleggy ?? 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Didn't know there were so many different (and variable) versions of this great song.............What a shame he didn't record it on Lou Johnson or Chuck Jackson as a 'solo' piece...or as you say credited to Tony Middleton.

Love this song

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Back home now & able to access my book library .... there I have had the alternate book on Burt (BACHARACH: MAESTRO ! THE LIFE OF A POP GENIUS by Michael Brocken) for some time, though I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Tony Middleton does get a mention in this other book. It states that on BB's 'Hit Maker' LP (released in mid 65 & a charting album in the UK back then) cabaret man (!?!) Tony Middleton was one of the two guest vocalists. But "My Little Red Book" wasn't originally on this album (but was added when the LP was re-released on CD in the 90's). So I wonder which tracks Tony also adds his lead vocals to.

Hit Maker.jpg

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Only just seen this thread.

I've always loved the music of Burt Bacharach and especially his collaborations with Hal David, some of the greatest love songs written in my opinion. And his work with black R&B / soul artistes stands out. The LP Presenting Dionne Warwick on Pye International is still one of my favourite albums, has special meaning to me purchased as a Christmas present by my then girlfriend, later wife. I will check out the books mentioned in this thread.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!