Indian soul 45's??

Anyone know what soul 45's got issued in India? Seen lots of pop stuff on London, Parlophone, EMI etc.

I am off there soon and fancy doing some digging around inbetween cricket matches.

Not seen a topic on here before, any info would be appreciated.

Adey P

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest johnny hart

Hi, Foxy, I Have one Tamla  Motown Made in India ETM 12. Jnr Walker " Brainwasher\ Good Rock in" year 1968 (so later issue) black,like UK but larger font, If this is no 12, assume there are previous and later Motown? Asked dealer for more ,sent me list of UK TMGs Stevies and Lady Di,s ! Lol Johnny.

Social source share

15 minutes ago, SILVERFOX said:

Thanks for the info Mick. Are they the regular black colour Columbia labels, like the UK releases?

Kev, regular looking UK label design TMG's? 

Yes, they look like UK Columbia - Just dug them out, I have three.

Hey Little Girl  45-DB-7168
Um,Um,Um,Um,Um,Um  45-DB-7205
Matador  45-DB-7271

They look exactly the same as UK releases, but 'Made in India' at the bottom

I've also got a few Tamla Motown with TMJ list numbers (I don't know if these are Indian, as there is no country printed)

Cheers
Mick

Social source share

Hi Adey, might be worth looking for some Stateside label stuff, may not be strictly soul but there may be related stuff.

I've got a Chris Farlow - Don't Just Look At Me on Indian Stateside - looks quite nice with a centre - looks like a UK stateside issue at first glance.

The label is black with silver text and very similar to the UK one.

All the best

Mark

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Mick H your TMJ prefix denotes South Africa . There is no logic to Emi,s international/foreign issue Motown,, Australia= TMO, New Zealand = TMM! Etc and no guide available? Lol ,Johnny

Social source share

I have some (a couple I think) Indian pressed 45's from the 70's ... can't recall what they are though (memory shot due to old age).

ALSO ... India was one of the countries that EMI used to ship it's old equipment to. Hence, you can find 78 releases there that run through to around the mid 60's (so some early soul tracks there will have been made available in 78 rpm format).

In fact it seems that 78's were still being made in India up to 1970 .... see here ...........

https://www.mustrad.org.uk/reviews/indrecbk.htm

Indian78s.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

When you get out there get talking to the locals and put an advert in the paper in the local lingo and get the locals to answer the ads.

A friend of mine dealt with a Polish company and he got them to translate Poland ebay scooter ads into english for him and he bought a TV175 series 2, TV series 3 and a Russian made Vespa VBB copy.

He imported em to here, sold the two Lamys to peoples here and the Vespa to someone in France.

Dunc

• Helpful 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, SILVERFOX said:

Anyone know what soul 45's got issued in India? Seen lots of pop stuff on London, Parlophone, EMI etc.

I am off there soon and fancy doing some digging around inbetween cricket matches.

Not seen a topic on here before, any info would be appreciated.

Adey P

Isley Brothers - Tell me it's just a rumour

Social source share

23 hours ago, MOT said:

Hi Adey, might be worth looking for some Stateside label stuff, may not be strictly soul but there may be related stuff.

I've got a Chris Farlow - Don't Just Look At Me on Indian Stateside - looks quite nice with a centre - looks like a UK stateside issue at first glance.

The label is black with silver text and very similar to the UK one.

All the best

Mark

The Stateside label was also in Singapore during the sixties, but they had Made in India around the bottom of the label, otherwise the same. So I presume the Indian pressing plant(s) extended much wider.

Kev

Social source share

EMI label 45s would be pressed in one country but sold in a number of others on a regular basis back in the day.

I seem to recall visiting Amsterdam, Rotterdam & Brussels back in the day (late 60's / early 70's) and finding UK pressed 45s for sale there.

ALSO did the same on the Algarve a few years later (finding a Motown 45 by the Undisputed Truth in a locally printed picture sleeve when the 7" inside it was a UK pressing).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!