The Just Brothers 'Go On And Laugh' Amazing News

Great news Mark ... sounds really exciting .. you must be thrilled to be involved in what sounds like a great project and in turn we will be thrilled at the tunes that will appear in time.

I have no doubt that you will make sure the music is presented with a great deal of care, authenticity and respect

Nice one

Best

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, romulus said:

Nice to see rare soul history still out there to be discovered in stead of dodgy boot legs and their supporters 

Thank you for you nice comments, you are so right stuff like this has Northern Soul historical significance, to see the master tape boxes the writing on them, dates, studio notes etc. is just mind blowing for this fat fool anyway. 

Social source share

What a great piece of news just before going to sleep. 'Just Brothers' is one of those supreme, unsurpassable records and the thought of being able to buy a copy and learn more about it...this is a huge event.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This record has been rattling away in my subconscious for about 25 years, I too heard it possibly for the first time in 90 or 91 at the now legendary TAC weekender via Mark on the radio. My tape has long since been lost in a house move. A good friend came to my rescue a number of years ago with a cd with it on.

It's right up there with Patrinell Staten for me as one of the best discoveries of 80s/90s.

If this gets a legitimate release I'll be over the moon.

Fingers crossed, Stoke On Trent.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just like to add I'm sorry if the post comes across a little vague and not specific to detail it's just at this stage I can not expose all the information, if any points are incorrect in my original post please feel free to fill in the blanks, I just tried to give a little background to the origins of the original acetate with the information I had, I am pretty sure that the full story will come together, so sorry if I've rambled a little it's simply a case of excitement and enthusiasm on my part.  

Social source share

8 hours ago, Mark Bicknell said:

Where do I start? firstly I would like to thank Mark White a dear old friend for turning a light bulb on this morning, I will explain, I have built up a very good strong relationship with a USA based record label so much so I am now it the process of advising/compiling/marketing and retailing all future and current Northern Soul related material they produce.

Back in the early 80's John Anderson I believe found a bunch of acetates one of which was 'Go On And Laugh' with no artist ident on the label the acetate was sold to John Vincent who gave it the group name of The Just Brothers as the story seems to go he played it first then sold it back to John Anderson who then sold it to Mark Dobson AKA Butch both John Vincent and Butch have championed the tune since then, now in the mists of time I had forgotten or not  noticed the tune being played out and about, fast forward to March 2016 with my now connection with the USA label I have recently been sent over 250 sound files of master tapes including un issued material/demos/alt takes of various tunes, as I was going through the stuff some of which has already been released preparing future projects I click the file which I got really excited about, talked to Mark White on the phone this morning chatting about my good news and played a couple of things down the phone, well after he finished listening to it he almost fell on the floor telling me it was the elusive 'Go On And Laugh', much of the material is on 1/2" tape and above which basically means it's multi track which means the tunes can be mixed and brought up to the best possible sound, there are 2 takes, I know where it was recorded, who recorded it and when it was recorded, it's not The Just Brothers, I have contacted both Mark Dobson- Butch and spoken to John Vincent tonight just out of respect and courtesy that I have found these tracks and I'm so pleased that Mark White basically marked my card exactly what I had played him, the record company is first rate, everything with their releases is totally legit and all licences etc. covered and dues paid, I can promise some very interesting material not tons but certainly enough to impact the scene.

I am the only person outside of the US to have the privilege and honour to hear this material and it's blown me away, this is by no means the full story, I can promise that the upmost attention to detail will be followed, I know DJ's and collectors are very protective of their exclusives but it's also nice to be able to share stuff like this..........watch this space.

Mark Bicknell.

WOW and WOW again...good on yer mate...exciting stuff indeed

Social source share

Mark, I know as much as anyone that you've been chasing a musical dream for many a year, looks like its been granted we are very pleased for you, Jackie and for everyone who will get to hear these songs come the day. Fantastic Gilly ans Nicola

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Like Quinvy I too have that uneasy feeling that this amazing one off that rang around the walls of the 100 Club so many times to be greeted by a packed dance floor will now be heard  (if they are clued up enough to play it) at your local night.

However - we've been privileged to hear this for what, 30 odd years (more so early days then in the past decade) so it's a good thing this is happening.

How lucky are those who's going to hear this amazing record in a venue for the first time.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share