Uk Tamla Motown Issue vs Demo

Smudger

Just realized that the Demo and issue of Tmg 619 have different b sides,the demo has Stepping closer to your heart same as all other issues (US etc) but the issue has Since i've lost you which is great ! and its the only way to get it on 45

Why would they change the b side and has it happened on any other Tmg's

https://www.discogs.com/Gladys-Knight-And-The-Pips-Everybody-Needs-Love/release/5977312

https://www.discogs.com/Gladys-Knight-And-The-Pips-Everybody-Needs-Love/release/8021605

Edited by smudger
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Smokeys tears of a clown came out on demo and first few issues with you must be love on the b side before the b side was changed to the current USA hit. The name of which escapes me now as I am away from me records, sunning it in gran canaria.

dave banks

Social source share

3 hours ago, davebanks said:

Smokeys tears of a clown came out on demo and first few issues with you must be love on the b side before the b side was changed to the current USA hit. The name of which escapes me now as I am away from me records, sunning it in gran canaria.

dave banks

i would imagine that that happened due to good sales and a repress to meet demand as it was a hit .see below taken from song facts website

In the UK, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles had a tough time finding an audience - "I Second That Emotion" made #27 in 1967, and a re-release of "The Tracks Of My Tears" hit #9 in 1969, but that was all they had for UK chart entries to that point. By 1970, their British distributor was so frustrated that he asked Karen Spreadbury, who was head of a Motown fan club in England, to pick a single from the Make It Happen album. She chose "The Tears of a Clown" - the last song on the album. The song was issued as a single in the UK and shot up the charts, rising to #1 in August, 1970. Motown took note and released the song in America a short time later, and in December it rose to #1 on the Hot 100, giving the group their first chart-topper.

Social source share

4 hours ago, davebanks said:

dave banks

Was that "Come spy with me"

there was also a marvalettes "b side demo that played My baby must be a magician but is titled" Here I am baby"

Social source share

A later SR&Miracles 45 (A side a reissued track I think) came out in Germany with a dance track on the B that only made a it onto a 45 release anywhere on this particular 7".

I know I have that 45 somewhere here but can't recall the title of either side of the record at present (& there's 25+ boxes to sort thru to find it) ....

..... so someone with a less-shot memory will have to enlighten folk as to what the 2 cuts are. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert