R.I.P. Melv Kaye

Terrible news today that Melv has passed away. Melv was a soul man to the core and will be sadly missed by many across Yorkshire.  His love of Southern influenced soul and Otis Redding in particular is reflected in his nickname on SS as Makstax.

He was a real character and was known to many as Speedy, associated with is reputation as a darts player who wasted no time at he oche. 

Melv was a fountain of knowledge about all things soulful and he will be sadly missed by many.

Many knew Melv much better than myself but I'm deeply saddened by his death, and have pondered long and hard if I could I have done more to prevent his passing far too early. 

R.I.P soul man.

Condolences to your loved ones

Gav

Edited by illusive
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Matchy told me today about "Speedy's" passing. Told him I didn't know him but Matchbox assures me that I will have and that he was a great guy, been around a long, long time. Well, whether or not I did know him I am sad another soulboy is gone and wish his loved ones the best.

On the basis of how few posts Dodger has received on here on his passing, one of the scene's greatest characters and headcases, I thought I should make this post.

R.I.P with respect, Rich

• Helpful 1
Social source share

R.I.P. Speedy, was a great friend and fellow DJ, worked with him at several places, had a great knowledge of soul music, we would prop the bar up talking for hours about this great music we follow and love, a very big loss to us all.

12800214_10208531056021360_8993571021231

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A real shame , will miss his trips over here to the shed , the stories and the crack. Guys like Melv are few and far between - he was buying and loving this music before i was born aswell as meeting the artists at the time . Goodbye to a fellow Conisbrough lad, very sad indeed. atb Melv.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

19 hours ago, illusive said:

Terrible news today that Melv has passed away. Melv was a soul man to the core and will be sadly missed by many across Yorkshire.  His love of Southern influenced soul and Otis Redding in particular is reflected in his nickname on SS as Makstax.

He was a real character and was known to many as Speedy, associated with is reputation as a darts player who wasted no time at he oche. 

Melv was a fountain of knowledge about all things soulful and he will be sadly missed by many.

Many knew Melv much better than myself but I'm deeply saddened by his death, and have pondered long and hard if I could I have done more to prevent his passing far too early. 

R.I.P soul man.

Condolences to your loved ones

Gav

Very nice words Gav. I'm still in shock over the news and a bit lost for words. You're right about Otis, we spoke many times about his passion for all soul music and the Stax / Atlantic artists  in particular and I know that Otis was definitely one of his favourites.                                                                                                          Yorkshire has lost one of it's finest Soul men.    RIP Speedy

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Really sad news spoke to Melv end of last year was not aware of anything as most of the tributes say he was there at the early years and did meet lots of stars and his knowledge of soul Uk releases as well as states stuff was superb he told me of his recent bonfires !!! of vinyl LP,s which he no longer listened  too, superb collection will be sadly missed by all the Yorkshire crew  RIP mate is was an honour to know you.  Gibby.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest randy

Poor old Speedy

Last time I saw Speedy was at Snowy Morgans funeral last year that's two of Conisborough' finest now gone.

They tell me that Speedy as Peter Stringfellow's right hand man at the Mojo even taking him off on the decks when he went for a fag break.

Speedy was very knowledgeable on the Stax/Atlantic recordings 45's and obscure LP tacks etc he had genuine love of 60's black soul music. With out these trail blazers there wouldn't be the current soul scene.

Not sure why he was called Speedy it was is nickname at school in Swinton, I didn't actually know his real name for years.

I hope he's at peace now 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!