The parliaments, "rainy day", on e-bay, end price,?

De-to

4 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

A stunning tune. Not one for Northern Novices. Like a fine wine, one to be contemplated then savoured. Real gritty records of this rarity are few and far between. Sets the floor alight on the rare occasions it's spun in public. Looks as though it will fetch a tidy sum.

And what is a Northern Novice? I will perhaps concede that it's a great Northern record. In reality, it has very little to do with soul music - unless of course you're a Soul Novice.

:thumbup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Soul music has to be soulful, otherwise it is just Black Music. If it is soulful, it's probably got that special something that someone, somewhere will like. The Parliaments is heavily Doo Wop influenced RnB but brilliant because of this. To the Northern Novice unaccustomed to an immense range of quirky tunes, the record may appear unfinished. Whatever the story, it's a great dancer, a treat to listen to and a fine contrast to the up-tempo Motown-like tracks that hooked us when we were starting out.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
Typo
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

6 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Soul music has to be soulful, otherwise it is just Black Music. If it is soulful, it's probably got that special something that someone, somewhere will like. The Parliaments is heavily Doo Wop influenced RnB but brilliant because of this. To the Northern Novice unaccustomed to an immense range of quirky tunes, the record may appear unfinished. Whatever the story, it's a great dancer, a treat to listen to a fine contrast to the up-tempo Motownesque tracks that hooked us when we were starting out.

I probably would have danced to it back in the day - with some decent marching powder.  :hypo:

Does absolutely nothing for me today but taste is just like opinion - we're all right! :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Byrney
13 hours ago, Peter99 said:

I'm sure lots of people love it. I think it's a nasty, horrible mess.

:wicked:

Where usually mate we're in furious agreement this time, quite frankly sir; you are wrong.

'Smash the pub up' agro northern stomper of the highest calibre  (you heard the new sub genre term here first :) )

Social source share

Guest Byrney
1 hour ago, chalky said:

I can't think of another record in recent times that caused the interest this record did whilst it was covered up by Butch.  It was one of those records that made travelling worthwhile. 

Yep - waiting in anticipation for 'The Masqueraders' to be played. Oh and that sort of OK. ... Mighty Lovers ;) ;) ;)

Social source share

Guest Byrney
5 hours ago, Ted Massey said:

It would mighty fine in a dustbin, an amazing record? Has someone else got a copy or did Butch guest Ted?

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

On 3/20/2016 at 19:58, Peter99 said:

And what is a Northern Novice? I will perhaps concede that it's a great Northern record. In reality, it has very little to do with soul music - unless of course you're a Soul Novice.

:thumbup:

It oozes pure Soul up there with Williams & Watson as Rufus would say "I feel so un-necessary"

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 20/03/2016 at 11:08, chalky said:

I can't think of another record in recent times that caused the interest this record did whilst it was covered up by Butch.  It was one of those records that made travelling worthwhile. 

Hey up Chalky - now there's a great idea for a thread?   Best Ten Records made big by Butch.

Derek

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!