Songs By The Sea

Gotsoul

I hope that I'm posting this in the right thread, I'm talking about songs that have as their opening the sounds of the sea or waves crashing...Lonely Drifter[The O'Jays]..Castles In The Sand[Stevie Wonder]...Harbor Lights[The Platters]...got any?

Social source share

here's a biggie......The Marvelettes - Too Many Fish In The Sea

add Nautilus - Bob James...Tonettes - Teardrop Sea..

these might be a tad tenuous, but Joe Simon - drowning in the sea of love, maybe David Sea, at a push? how about Jimmy Seals??

ohh, how about the Mark Ⅳ's - The Tide Has Turned, fabulous record that...

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Mal C said:

here's a biggie......The Marvelettes - Too Many Fish In The Sea

add Nautilus - Bob James...Tonettes - Teardrop Sea..

these might be a tad tenuous, but Joe Simon - drowning in the sea of love, maybe David Sea, at a push? how about Jimmy Seals??

ohh, how about the Mark Ⅳ's - The Tide Has Turned, fabulous record that...

The OP wanted songs with sound effects that are sounds of the sea.  There are none in The Marvelettes' song, nor Joe Simon's song. and none in The Mark IV's song, none in Bob James', and probably none in the rest of the songs you listed.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

44 minutes ago, ministryofdance said:

Paragons -  tide is high

I heard NO "sounds of the sea" in The Tide is High".  Again, the OP asked for sound effects, - buoy bells, foghorns, seagulls, waves crashing and the like.  Same for the hit 45 version of Otis Redding's "Sitting on The Dock of the Bay".  I can't speak for any alternate takes/LP versions.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett
40 minutes ago, RobbK said:

Same for the hit 45 version of Otis Redding's "Sitting on The Dock of the Bay".  I can't speak for any alternate takes/LP versions.

Robb You've got to give me Dock of the Bay. It's not right up front in the mix but definitely there.

Just checked it to Wikipedia: " After Redding's death, Cropper mixed "Dock of the Bay" at Stax Studios. He added the sound of seagulls and waves crashing to the background, as Redding had requested, recalling the sounds he heard when he was staying on the houseboat."

Social source share

1 hour ago, RobbK said:

I heard NO "sounds of the sea" in The Tide is High".  Again, the OP asked for sound effects, - buoy bells, foghorns, seagulls, waves crashing and the like.  Same for the hit 45 version of Otis Redding's "Sitting on The Dock of the Bay".  I can't speak for any alternate takes/LP versions.

trying here Robb, how about - George 'N Sonny Sanders - Down By The Ocean.. not prominent, but deffo in the background..

Social source share

32 minutes ago, MBarrett said:

Robb You've got to give me Dock of the Bay. It's not right up front in the mix but definitely there.

Just checked it to Wikipedia: " After Redding's death, Cropper mixed "Dock of the Bay" at Stax Studios. He added the sound of seagulls and waves crashing to the background, as Redding had requested, recalling the sounds he heard when he was staying on the houseboat."

Just tried my 45, the version on "The Complete Stax Singles 1959- 1968" and the version on "Atlantic Rhythm and Blues 

1947- 74"  and all three versions open with crashing waves . I doubt if all three were alternate versions.

Social source share

50 minutes ago, MBarrett said:

I've never heard that version.  They only played the original 45 version while I was listening.

16 minutes ago, the yank said:

Just tried my 45, the version on "The Complete Stax Singles 1959- 1968" and the version on "Atlantic Rhythm and Blues 

1947- 74"  and all three versions open with crashing waves . I doubt if all three were alternate versions.

Sorry.  I played it again.  It's very faint at the very beginning of the song.  I am somewhat hard of hearing, so I missed it completely, before.  I turned up the volume to very high.  :rofl:

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Mal C said:

trying here Robb, how about - George 'N Sonny Sanders - Down By The Ocean.. not prominent, but deffo in the background..

That would be George 'N Sonny Sands.  You must have Motown or The Chicago Sound on the mind.   And, yes, I hear the simulated "waves' sound (although not very convincing as ocean waves).

Social source share

1 hour ago, DaveNPete said:

Fluffy Falana - My Little Cottage  - or how about New York Port Authority.

Dx

I listened to the entire Fluffy Falana song, and I didn't hear ANY ocean sound effects.  I thought it is strange to hear a man's voice, who is called "Fluffy Falana".  I thought I've heard that artist before, and she was a woman.  Am I remembering incorrectly?

I think it is also interesting that Bobby Martin operated out of New York, and George Kerr wrote a song for New York's Jobete Music office in late 1963, a song with a very similar title. (Come With Me to) "My Little CABIN by The Sea".  I've heard the Jobete Music acetate of it, and I believe it is George Kerr, himself, singing it.  The song is not the same song as Martins (actually bears no resemblance, other than the title and gist of the "story").

Social source share

9 hours ago, RobbK said:

Must be my stylus

Social source share

8 hours ago, RobbK said:

I listened to the entire Fluffy Falana song, and I didn't hear ANY ocean sound effects.  I thought it is strange to hear a man's voice, who is called "Fluffy Falana".  I thought I've heard that artist before, and she was a woman.  Am I remembering incorrectly?

I think it is also interesting that Bobby Martin operated out of New York, and George Kerr wrote a song for New York's Jobete Music office in late 1963, a song with a very similar title. (Come With Me to) "My Little CABIN by The Sea".  I've heard the Jobete Music acetate of it, and I believe it is George Kerr, himself, singing it.  The song is not the same song as Martins (actually bears no resemblance, other than the title and gist of the "story").

My Little Cottage (BY THE SEA) - maybe off topic a bit. 

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!