Baby Ray - Imperial / Capcity ?

Is the Baby Ray who recorded on Capcity the same artist as the Baby Ray who recorded on Imperial around the same time ?

I'm inclined to think not, because the Imperial tracks were recorded in LA, and the Capcity single in Washington. However, it is possible that The Imperial Baby Ray recorded in LA between 1966 and 1967, then made her way across the States to record in Washington also in 1967.

Any help appreciated.

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

6 minutes ago, Dave Rimmer said:

Hi Gene,

Thanks, it would probably answer the question if I knew what gender the Capcity Baby Ray was :lol: Unfortunately I know nothing about him / her at all.

No probs Dave!  I tried looking for info on the Baby Ray who recorded for Capcity, but sadly also drew a blank.  

Social source share

24 minutes ago, John A said:

"Dance my tears away" on Capcity is definitely a man surely.

I don't know the record unfortunately. I don't even know what is on the flip, but can't find it on YouTube anyway. 

Just found a clip. It's definitely a man, and the flip side is the instrumental, so that's a bit more info.

thanks John A

Edited by Dave Rimmer
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Dave Rimmer said:

I don't know the record unfortunately. I don't even know what is on the flip, but can't find it on YouTube anyway. 

Just found a clip. It's definitely a man, and the flip side is the instrumental, so that's a bit more info.

thanks John A

For others reference, soundfile from my copy here - Dance My Tears Away (Capcity).mp3

And here's a scan as well................:hatsoff2:

56fd4042607a0_BabyRay.thumb.jpg.34c1a441

Social source share

I always thought he was the same guy.  He sounded pretty much the same to me.  I never heard of 2 Baby Rays.  He was pretty well known on The Chittlin' Circuit.  It doesn't make any sense that someone else would use the same name.  Surely they'd have heard of the famous one and NOT used it for fear of lawsuits.  He went to prison late in his career, and did some recording while being incarcerated.  He died in 2000, at the young age of 62.  He was one of VERY Few "White" artists played on Soul stations.

Here's a link to a bio and a photo:

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=105753877

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Guest Blueimage

Baby Ray was a DC cab driver who recorded the Cap City single with local band "The Delusions". Label owner Foster Johnson is deceased, as are the arranger (Joe Tate who formed Dontee' Records) and the writer (Willie Lester of Mainline Productions). This was one of Willie's earliest writings.

Edited by Blueimage
Social source share

So, the Imperial Baby Ray was from Tennessee, and The Cap City Baby Ray was from D.C.  So, they WERE 2 different blokes, after all.  Hard to believe that neither The Capitol City people, nor the D.C. Baby Ray and his manager, had never heard of the Imperial singer, given that the former was making the Soul charts in late 1966, well before 1970's Cap City release..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!