Frederick Hymes - Originals?

Kjw

2 hours ago, funkyfeet said:

IMO most of the comments on this topic are a assumptions with no fact, I took quantity of most of the PRIX 45's back in th early 2000's and was offered a small quantity of Frederick Hymes, if he had more he would have offered me more that what he did at the time, can't think any reason why he wouldn't have as I asked for more at the time a couple of months ago he offered me 3 copies which he had found in his stock, it's simple to lose records when you're a dealer or major collector do it myself all the time, again if he had re-pressed this why would he only offer me 3 copies when he could have offered me 10, 20 or more.  As whether it's a original or not I've still to see any proof that it ain't, everyone who has doubts has no proof. With regards the PRIX 45's if you would have seen the sleeves that they were in you wouldn't have question them one bit as they were falling apart around the record they were that brittle, no one would have been able to have created that and why would you.

I think its already been acknowledged and confirmed on other FH threads that the seller did get copies of the old Prix stock.

Social source share

I know where he got the stock from, it was off Frederick Hymes, which is what he told me back in the early 2000's.  The Frederick Hymes never went into general sale it was only sold at live gigs, common practice with small time artists, even over here I had loads of 45's  from acts when Djing in holiday camps back in the 70's.

Social source share

27 minutes ago, greeneggz said:

Billboard magazine from March 1971. So was released back then. FACT! Not some new pressing from old tapes or a 1990s release as was speculated. Let's get that cleared up. 

billboard1971.jpg

I suspect it might be that we are from different regions of the country but I can't help but detect a little "attitude" in your post!

Social source share

5 minutes ago, greeneggz said:

Not attitude as such, but rather a mix of disappointment and exasperation that people on this thread have felt comfortable presenting groundless speculation as truth. It's pointless, unhelpful and just muddies the water. 

That's what the Look At Your Box Forum is for - debating stuff about records!

:D

Social source share

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 15:37, greeneggz said:

Not attitude as such, but rather a mix of disappointment and exasperation that people on this thread have felt comfortable presenting groundless speculation as truth. It's pointless, unhelpful and just muddies the water. 

Well Im happy for you to put a polygraph test on me or anyone who wants to! Mine was not speculation but absolute truth!

PS Im known as a gobby bastard which a few people on here can vouch but Im an honest gobby bastard!

Edited by Ernie Andrews
addendum
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Ernie Andrews said:

Well Im happy for you to put a polygraph test on me or anyone who wants to! Mine was not speculation but absolute truth!

PS Im known as a gobby bastard which a few people on here can vouch but Im an honest gobby bastard!

I'll vouch for Ernie,

:lol:

Social source share

• 4 months later...
On 2.4.2016 at 18:03, joesoul1958 said:

Hi Soulies, here is a photo of my copy, I'm pretty sure mine is an original. The one sold on EBay, I must say looks alright, just not quite sure of the stamp mark just below where it states side 1, the same seller has an identical one on there again, with the same mark, hope this helps in someway, regards, Joe.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

the copy i bought 10yrs back looks exactly the same as the one shown in these pics. i work in chemistry and before leaving my previous job in 2014 i had the time to bring some old & new records to the lab (incl. the Frederick Hymes III), to analyze the vinyl & the labels (colors used) via x-ray spectroscopy. it's a non destructive testing method that gives an overview about the chemical elements used in the material aswell as the roughly concentration of each. it was quite easy to motivate my lab-mate to analyze the lot, as it turned out he is into records himself, classical music enjoyed on high-end equipment. He knows a lot about records in general, being a chemist he also knows a bit about the materials used to produce vinyl over the last decades, to make them sound better etc. now to make the long story short: the materials used for the vinyl and labels of the FHIII shown in the pictures above are the same that were used in the 60s/70s. that's it... the rest is up for more speculations...

Edited by schoggi
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

On 25 September 2016 at 16:15, schoggi said:

the copy i bought 10yrs back looks exactly the same as the one shown in these pics. i work in chemistry and before leaving my previous job in 2014 i had the time to bring some old & new records to the lab (incl. the Frederick Hymes III), to analyze the vinyl & the labels (colors used) via x-ray spectroscopy. it's a non destructive testing method that gives an overview about the chemical elements used in the material aswell as the roughly concentration of each. it was quite easy to motivate my lab-mate to analyze the lot, as it turned out he is into records himself, classical music enjoyed on high-end equipment. He knows a lot about records in general, being a chemist he also knows a bit about the materials used to produce vinyl over the last decades, to make them sound better etc. now to make the long story short: the materials used for the vinyl and labels of the FHII shown in the pictures above are the same that were used in the 60s/70s. that's it... the rest is up for more speculations...

It's not April 1st again, is it?! Nice one Schoggi, but I suspect proving the authenticity of the Turin Shroud might be easier than Frederick Hymes III... :g:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!