Matt Brown

1 hour ago, Louise said:

Hi Dave

Isn't he the Matt  along with Robert (Robert Thomas of  My Salvation fame)) who also recorded on Jar-Val, Uni, Soft & Le Cam too.

I seem to remember hearing they were related, cousins I think ?

Dave

Yes that's the one, did know he was related to Robert Thomas though, thanks for that

Social source share

On 03/04/2016 at 12:22, Dave Thorley said:

Matt Brown ...................................
Macon, Georgia is a little city about 1 hour south of Atlanta. Driving down Main Street you get a real feeling of being in the old Deep South. As you look down any of the city’s main street and squint a little it is easy to imagine this as it would have looked back in the 50’s and 60’s, apart from the odd new building and the cars, it’s still the same. But this little sleepy corner of the Deep South was a hot bed for music, home to Otis Redding, Bobby Smith, Arthur Lee (Pep) Brown, Jimmy Braswell, Thomas Bailey, Nancy Butts, Jimmy Lee Bryant and one Matthew Brown. Like many Matt got his break through lifelong friend to Otis Redding and pall bearer at his funeral Hampton Swain. Hampton owned a very successful car dealership in town and was able to use this to fund Jar-Val records. He used the third string to his bow, local radio DJ and his talent shows, called ‘The Teenage parties’ which he held at the Roxey & Douglas theatres, to scout for talent. It is also said that these talent shows were the showcase that help Otis get a break, with him winning them for fifteen weeks on the trot, at one stage. Over a number of years Hampton (Hamp) was able to record many of the city’s young hopeful artists for his record label. In later years he would receive some competition from Otis and his business partners Phil & Alan Walden when they opened Capricorn studios.
Matt hooked up with Atlanta producer Tee Fletcher for his two 45’s on Jar-Val. The first release having a Tee composed track ‘Everyday’ on the A side and a cover version of David Gates ‘Baby I’m a want you’ on the flip. His second 45 was ‘Thank you baby’ and  ‘Sweet thing’ a record that 20 years later would become very popular in Europe for both sides, initially through a influential club called Top Of The World, Stafford. Both 45’s have that sophisticated Tee Fletcher production found on many of his numerous productions for many labels around the south. These records gave a small boost to Matt’s career and he was able to do limited touring around the south. Whilst on tour he met up with Major Bill Smith from Fort Worth and recorded a record for him, ‘Soul of a man / A man without a woman’ on Bill’s Le Cam label, this would also appear again on the Soft record label. By the mid 70’s Matt had stopped touring and settled back in Macon, working as a painter and decorator around the city, but in a short career he laid down some great sides.

On 03/04/2016 at 13:36, Louise said:

Hi Dave

Isn't he the Matt  along with Robert (Robert Thomas of  My Salvation fame)) who also recorded on Jar-Val, Uni, Soft & Le Cam too.

I seem to remember hearing they were related, cousins I think ?

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 years later...

I'm only just finding this post from Dave, would loved to have contributed when it was still a current topic. Alas.... Matt Brown was also in the Men From Macon (with Robert Thomas already discussed as Matt's Cousin). In 2010 I published an article on Matt in my now defunct Georgia Soul blog. He was to attend a music school in the early 1970s but enlisted in the Air Force instead. Following his service, he did go to college in Philadelphia and returned to Macon in 1978 but did no further recordings. 

Matt Brown Discography:

Love Me Just A Little Bit / Funky Soul Train (Sew City 108) - as Mathew Brown 1968

Fire Lighter / The Soul of A Man (Charay C-89) - as The Men From Macon 1969

These Arms of Mine / Spirit of '76 (Le Cam 204) - as Matt & Robert 1969

These Arms of Mine / Soul of A Man instrumental (UNI 55151) - as Matt & Robert 1969

Run For Cover / Pride and Joy (Jar-Val 001) - as Matt & Robert "The Soul Cousins" 1969

A Man Without A Woman / Soul of A Man instrumental (Soft S-1035) 1969

A Man Without A Woman / Soho (Le Cam 357) 1969

Everyday / Baby I'm A Want You (Jar-Val 004) 1972

Thank You Baby / Sweet Thing (Jar-Val 006) 1972

Mr. Pitiful / All I Want Is You (Christi LC-005) by Berry Street Station; Matt Brown appears only on Mr. Pitiful; year unknown

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Agent45 said:

I'm only just finding this post from Dave, would loved to have contributed when it was still a current topic. Alas.... Matt Brown was also in the Men From Macon (with Robert Thomas already discussed as Matt's Cousin). In 2010 I published an article on Matt in my now defunct Georgia Soul blog. He was to attend a music school in the early 1970s but enlisted in the Air Force instead. Following his service, he did go to college in Philadelphia and returned to Macon in 1978 but did no further recordings. 

Matt Brown Discography:

Love Me Just A Little Bit / Funky Soul Train (Sew City 108) - as Mathew Brown 1968

Fire Lighter / The Soul of A Man (Charay C-89) - as The Men From Macon 1969

These Arms of Mine / Spirit of '76 (Le Cam 204) - as Matt & Robert 1969

These Arms of Mine / Soul of A Man instrumental (UNI 55151) - as Matt & Robert 1969

Run For Cover / Pride and Joy (Jar-Val 001) - as Matt & Robert "The Soul Cousins" 1969

A Man Without A Woman / Soul of A Man instrumental (Soft S-1035) 1969

A Man Without A Woman / Soho (Le Cam 357) 1969

Everyday / Baby I'm A Want You (Jar-Val 004) 1972

Thank You Baby / Sweet Thing (Jar-Val 006) 1972

Mr. Pitiful / All I Want Is You (Christi LC-005) by Berry Street Station; Matt Brown appears only on Mr. Pitiful; year unknown

Is the article the one I posted above Brian?

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!