• Replies 13
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest randy

What a great article you've put names and face to the artists and song writers etc that I was brought up on brilliant !

Social source share

Yes, great article.  It answered some of my long-time questions about the Detroit-New York connections of not just The Hamilton Brothers, but others as well, like Rose Marie McCoy, and about why Bob Hamilton/Rob Reeco disappeared so suddenly from production and songwriting.  The only disappointment I had was that it didn't talk about how Bob got into Motown, and didn't say anything about his time there.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

So that is definitely Al Kent singing on "The Way You've Acting Lately" then.

Wow. What a voice the guy had. I can't believe he didn't make any other recordings as a vocalist. For me he's right up there with the best.

Ian D :)

I assume you mean you can't believe that Al didn't make any other recordings that were released by Ed Wingate's labels.  I assume that you know about his Chess, and small New York label recordings, and he also had a single out on a small Detroit label.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Al Kent says that he "actually recorded 'Where do I go from here' on the Tops with strings. Eddie Holland sang background on it. Man, they nailed it ...".

So the Four Tops recorded a  version of Where Do I Go From Here ?!!

Would love to hear that !

Social source share

3 hours ago, sunnysoul said:

Al Kent says that he "actually recorded 'Where do I go from here' on the Tops with strings. Eddie Holland sang background on it. Man, they nailed it ...".

I didn't know that Al Kent had produced with Motown (or had even wrote songs with them).  I guess that occurred soon after Berry bought out Golden World the first time (1966).  And Kent probably left Motown somewhat less than year later, when J.J. Barnes, Steve Mancha, Wilbur Jackson and others left, or their existing contracts lapsed.  He re-joined Ed Wingate at Ric Tic, while Mancha and Barnes Joined Don Davis' Groovesville.

Social source share

4 hours ago, sunnysoul said:

"Where Do I Go From Here" is available on the "Lost Without You" 2 CD set in Hip-O Select's "Lost And Found " series.

The track was recorded in June of 1969 and with Eddie involved with Hot Wax and Invictus, I doubt he sang background on it.

But, it's possible.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Thamilton

Hello Rob Moss,

My name is Tondalaya Hamilton and I am the oldest daughter of Bob Hamilton.  Thank you for writing the articles about my family.  After receiving Berry Gordy’s signed autograph book from the Publishing Company and after reading it, I knew he had forgotten about the “Unsung Heroes” like my father and uncles.  I remember being in Golden World Studio and meeting most of the stars that made Motown.  I knew my father was a musical genius and worked hard to get his recognition.  He helped so many get their start like Dennis Edward, which I remember seeing him standing at the side of the piano rehearsing with my father.  Again, thank you; however, I need to correct the part on how my father passed.  That is not true because it denotes that my mother had something to do with it.  She passed in 2010 and is not here to represent the truth.  I was present during his death at the age of 14 years old and would like to tell you the truth if you are interested.  I would like to talk more about it with you in private.  Again, thank you for recognizing the Hamilton’s “Unsung Heroes”. 

Sincerely,

Tondalaya Hamilton (Toni)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!