Info on Voices please

Henning

The Voices has always been a hard record to track down, price wise who knows in the current market, defo £500+ IMHO.

it has been played out but not overplayed by any stretch of the imagination due to its scarcity and not many people knowing of it I suspect.

The track, isn't as catchy as the other top dance tracks on the scene and probably falls foul on that score and may be too fast for the ageing dancer. 

I have spun spun it out on a,few occasions'at rare soul venues/nights  along with Wendell Watts "Kiss a good thing goodbye" which also seems to fall on deaf ears and "clears the floor".... Butch aside, as the Wendell track always works for him, but that's another thing entirely.

Not sure how many copies are out there but not many I suspect.

The above are my observations and by no means gospel. 

Hope this helps

Dave H.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's one of those where I'd like to hear the instrumental as there seems too many words for the available notes and hence doesn't quite work for me.  Never played it out and don't remember hearing it out. 

Think the group are not the same as the Voices on Penny. Seem to remember they're from L.A.

Social source share

I would welcome a copy home of 'crying' (not being able to pay the money it usually sells for though) and it would see some good turntable action I swear. It's the same LA group that did the weird (still I like it but I like strange things apparently) 'soul clinic' on Marlu and the odd and fabulous IMHO 'baby you're messing up my mind' on Victoria that shares the same backing track to Phonics 'what good (am I without you)' on Trudel.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, AndyF said:

It's one of those where I'd like to hear the instrumental as there seems too many words for the available notes and hence doesn't quite work for me.  Never played it out and don't remember hearing it out. 

Think the group are not the same as the Voices on Penny. Seem to remember they're from L.A.

That's exactly why I'm found of their 3 singles. I can't argue against your argument, you're absolutely right. But I must say that the treatment they did with 'baby you're messing up my mind', borrowing the same backing track of the Phonetics 'what good' on Trudel, with the continuous "off-beat" thrills me more every time I hear it. I do feel alone at times when I play it to friends. To me it gives the tune the extra nonchalance that their Voices are bringing in there. In "crying..." I love the fact that they saturated the track with "stressed" vocals which gives the tune an "emergency" factor. While 'soul clinic' on Marlu is definitely the less "northern" track of the 3, it's only kind of mental. These stuffs were made with bits and pieces and required some creative imagination to compete with the big guns out there. I just love music like that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 9 April 2016 at 15:03, tlscapital said:

That's exactly why I'm found of their 3 singles. I can't argue against your argument, you're absolutely right. But I must say that the treatment they did with 'baby you're messing up my mind', borrowing the same backing track of the Phonetics 'what good' on Trudel, with the continuous "off-beat" thrills me more every time I hear it. I do feel alone at times when I play it to friends. To me it gives the tune the extra nonchalance that their Voices are bringing in there. In "crying..." I love the fact that they saturated the track with "stressed" vocals which gives the tune an "emergency" factor. While 'soul clinic' on Marlu is definitely the less "northern" track of the 3, it's only kind of mental. These stuffs were made with bits and pieces and required some creative imagination to compete with the big guns out there. I just love music like that.

Your not alone there, Voices is a big fave of mine, ever since I heard Dean Anderson play it years ago, I play it out myself and never noticed it having the same backing as Phonetics!

Social source share

• 5 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!