Saxaphone

jam66

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything/wrong search term but I thought I'd raised the subject before so if I'm being an old fart mumbling in the corner excuse me and just delete. Ellusions one of the best Sax breaks on Earth or am I missing something, Mr Big Shot is something else as well. Any others you can think of?

Edited by jam66
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

I keep seeing Jnr Walker mentioned but wasn't he very limited in what he could actually play and a lot of clever editing/production work behind many of his finished products at Motown?

He could sure as 'ell play when I saw him live way back when ... :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

I keep seeing Jnr Walker mentioned but wasn't he very limited in what he could actually play and a lot of clever editing/production work behind many of his finished products at Motown?

I'm not a big fan of Jnr Walker, Hip City is only one I like. Thought he was ok, but wouldn't rave about him.

Social source share

56 minutes ago, chalky said:

I didn't say he couldn't play but I've read he could only play three chords, Shotgun was done in just one chord so I also read.

Think it was mentioned in Sounds of the Sixties the other week that Jnrs vocal was in a higher register than his sax playing so the sax bits were speeded up an edited.

Social source share

Think the thing about Jr Walker is how high his profile was and as soon as you think of a saxOphone (:wicked:), he's the one that springs to mind. Saw him at Wigan and a bunch of those in front of the stage were waving toy sax's at him, you know who you are. :lol:

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/04/2016 at 17:40, chalky said:

I didn't say he couldn't play but I've read he could only play three chords, Shotgun was done in just one chord so I also read.

I play the sax so know a little. Jr Walker was no 3 chord player, Saw him many times, always amazing. He inspired me to try to learn.

Always loved the sax in Ike & Tina Cant Chance a Breakup.

Anything by Wilton Felder is immense. Inherit The Wind, featuring Mr Womack of course, TUNE.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, 1soulmojo said:

I play the sax so know a little. Jr Walker was no 3 chord player, Saw him many times, always amazing. He inspired me to try to learn.

Always loved the sax in Ike & Tina Cant Chance a Breakup.

Anything by Wilton Felder is immense. Inherit The Wind, featuring Mr Womack of course, TUNE.

Someday we'll all be free, is better for me.

Think it's Grover Washington on the full version of Esthers What a Difference-why did they edit THAT ??

Social source share

• 2 years later...
On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 16:11, Gilly said:

There is 2 sax breaks in The Illusions, to add a couple of my liking "Just Another Girl" Four Pros a d the Appreciations on Aware

I just don't want the second Sax break to end Gilly on that brilliant Illusions spin.... :thumbsup:  :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!