GRAMBLING COLLEGE BAND "Harlem Rumble"

Sie

Hello Soul Source,

I'm a long time lurker but a few of you may know me as a buyer from the Sales forum. I decided to man-up and put a post on this forum as, to be very honest SS'ers, I need your help.

I collect funk, soul and northern 45's and during a recent trip to the US I found the following record:- 

GRAMBLING COLLEGE MARCHING BAND "Harlem Rumble" (Spontaneous Arts)

It is a one-sided 45 and the label states that the instrumental was arranged by Dole Dickens with orchestration by Frank Foster. 

A quick check online reveals that only one or two other copies of this 45 have been offered for sale and that it is a version of a tune released by Frank Foster on a different label (Tri-ode). 

Apart from that, I've drawn a blank. Anyone have information on this release..? All comments welcomed.

Thanks! 

Edited by Sie
Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It got three issues, this one is the first I guess, then 'Top Level', then Tri-ode? It's strange how the issues credit totally different bands though. 

Always assumed that it's the jazz musician Frank foster who recorded for Prestige and Blue Note. Quite a big artist so maybe this started as a community project or something. Or maybe its the other way round, and Gramblin College just nicked a tune and pretended it was their band...

Grambling college is in Louisiana though, and the famous Frank Foster was from Ohio / Detroit  so might be a different guy. And then Tri-Ode is a New York label...Hope that clears it up! :D

Edited by pow wow mik
Social source share

Also released on the "Top Level" label,

I never seam to get sick of this Floor Shaker! ( hence my moniker). I understood all the releases to be identical in terms of the track itself,k Ive done a fair bit of research and can't find much info on this track ie. Is it a dance? Is it a film score? Is there a vocal take? But so far drawn a blank so I too would like more info if available, the fact that Frank Foster as passed doesn't help things, I recall an interview with Bobby Martin (Robert L. Martin) of Philli fame were he mentions being at college/School with Frank Foster and stated he was a very talented artist and a big influence on his own career.

Triode!

Social source share

I would say the Spontaneous Arts issue is exactly the same version as the Triode. It is one sided, with just an etched pattern on the other side.

There are a couple of releases by the Grambling College Marching Band but i think they are much later releases and have no idea what they are like.

Social source share

• 11 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!