News: John (Biff) Griffiths

One of the Northern Soul Good guy's an absolute Gent, me and Jo where proud to be called one of his friends. He stood for everything that we all aspire to be with regards the northern soul scene. We are so glad that we was able to meet and be part of such a great man's life. Our sincere condolences to Bev and all his family.

We will never forget you Biff. R.I .P  Soul Bro

Dave & Jo

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Very sad news

I haven't seen Biff since the days of Birchfield but he made such a good impression that even now over 10 years later still smiled when I saw his name as online on here

RIP Biff

my thoughts and deepest condolences to all his friends and family

mike

Social source share

Guest Jackiewilson53

Didnt know the guy,but seen him fill the floor at the northern line with his top tunes,and judging by the comments i have read,i think i can say on behalf of every soulie his place is going to be hard to fill R,I,P MR NORTHERN SOUL,condolences to his family ,

Bert&maxine

Social source share

4 hours ago, scooterboy said:

I am immensely saddened to confirm that our dear friend John 'Biff' Griffiths did indeed pass away last night.  I am unsure as to whether this thread has been started in the correct section of the site, if not perhaps the moderators will kindly intervene?

Whilst it appears that John passed away peacefully in his sleep that is of scant consolation to Bev, his children and his wider family.  Our thoughts are with Bev and John's family at this saddest and most distressing of times.

John has a giant of a man, in stature, in presence and in his knowledge of, and love of, soul music.  Whilst a stalwart of the Northern scene in Widnes and Warrington for over 40 years he was well-known, well-respected and well-loved across the North West and much further afield.  I won't attempt to list the events that John DJ'd at or promoted over the years, suffice to say that the North West scene would not be what it is now without the massive contribution by the guy I am proud to call my friend and mentor.  I was privileged to have DJ'd with John and Dave Truscott at The Birchfield (Widnes) for nearly 10 years and for the last 6 years to have worked with John and Maurice 'Moz' Arnold at The Northern Line (Warrington), and to not be able to hear John's always cheery greeting of "Alright Matey" seems unbearable.

Whilst John didn't suffer fools gladly he was always prepared to share his knowledge and love of the music to those who were keen to listen, learn and enjoy.  I for one will forever be indebted to John for his time, his patience and the guidance he gave me, and which he continued to give even up to just a couple of weeks ago at his 60th Birthday event at The Northern Line.

John had a few years of medical challenges with his two bionic knees and issues with his heart, though we'd all thought that we has on-the-mend, and indeed to many of us John looked far healthier in the last 3 months tan we'd seen him for some time.  The fact that he did seem so much better recently made the news of his passing even more shocking.

Whilst I'm not usually stuck for words I am struggling to write any more at present so I will sign off.  John's son has asked me to post the sad news on Soul Source and whilst it's too early to know what arrangements will be for the funeral I will seek permission from the family to share the details as and when it is appropriate to do so.

Rest in peace big man...you are loved more than you know.

Chris

A fitting tribute from the heart Chris to a much loved and respected man, he'll be missed by all who knew him

Social source share

So sorry to hear the sad news that BIFF as pass away,

I got to know this morning when Gorden & Joan Toole telephoned me from Tenerife with the very bad news.

Biff was a great man who run a great Soul Club. THE NORTHERN LINE.

Could I offer my sincere condolences to Johns family, from myself and the Twisted Wheel Club Manchester.

Pete Roberts.

Edited by Pete Roberts
Social source share

Although I only met John a small number of times he was friendly and showed such a love for the soul scene and the banter with record collectors and Dj's,s alike. A big part of the scene has moved on and will never be filled with the likes of "Biff" again. A true loss all of our condolences to his family and close friends from everybody at the Rafa soul club in Aycliffe.

R.I.P. Matey

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Very sad news i have known John since very early 70's from our visits to the Carlton club in Warrington  with his best mate Pete Cogley .John was a top guy will be missed by everyone who knew him.

RIP John

Social source share

So sad to hear about the passing away of Biff, I hadnt seen him for a while but will never forget the top nites at the Birchfield (Widnes) Club were he entertained us for many years by playing top tunes and always had a smile on his face.

So long my soul mate RIP,  you will be sadly missed by all.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was shocked when I read the headline to this thread. I knew John mainly through Soul In The Sun although I've not attended for several years. A thoroughly decent guy who loved soul music. My condolences to Bev and his family.

RIP John.

Social source share

Debbie and I are thinking about Bev and the family at this difficult time .

and send all our love & prayers xxx

Chris summed up the strength of character that was John in his fitting tribute well said Chris.

I've known John & Bev for a good few years and proud to have known John, and played at Birchfield happy days,

we've had many great times at many northwest venues too many to mention and further afield in Tenerife 

listening and sharing this wonderful music that brought us altogether in the 70.s 

it was only a few weeks ago John and  I did yet another record deal such an easy guy to deal with.

its hard to find the words to express what we are feeling . 

God bless John  in the words of the Artistics I'm gonna miss you!!

xxx Brian & Debbie 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Your kind words will be appreciated by John's family and please be assured that your posts have been read, so on their behalf "thank you" for taking the time to share your thoughts and memories.

At Bev's request I am now able to give you details of the arrangements for John's funeral which will take place on Monday 25th April.

12:30pm St Bede's Church Widnes (Appleton Village, Widnes, WA8 6EL)

1:30pm Widnes Crematorium (Birchfield Road, Widnes, WA8 9EE)

Thereafter there will be a gathering at the United Services Club, Prescot Road, Widnes, WA8 7PD (the club is next to The Wellington Inn). 

Kind regards

Chris

Social source share

Really sad news to hear about Biff only found out saturday from Phil Armstrong John along with Chriss and Moz did me a massive favour a couple of years ago which me and mandy will never forget and i was so proud to come and play in warrington and loved having a natter with a minefield of information and a real sense of humour great guy why god takes the good ones i will never know our thoughts go out to Bev and Family and the northern line crew take care and keep souling god bless Biff Yocky and Mandy xx

Social source share

I'm so not looking forward to tomorrow. A day that I thought was so many years in the future. Saying goodbye to John will be so hard. I will be forever in John's debt for being one of the most influential people musically in my life, he taught me to see beyond the 100mph dancers as far back as the seventies, that's how forward thinking he was. Till we meet again my friend. Goodnight and God bless. Sleep well. 

Steve. XXX

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!