Jimmy Jones on Deke

Came from the greater Chicago area (Illinois). Recorded from 1970 to 76 ... had 5 x 45 out, others also being good. 

His 1st 45 escaped on Twinight, his last on Conchillo (A soul pack 45 back in the day but still a fine record).

Guess that the Walter Simmons who co-wrote one of his Deke songs was Simtec Simmons (half of Simtec & Wylie).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I think this is by this Jimmy Jones ... but it could be by the Texas based guy ....  Andre Williams worked on this ... AND ... also worked around the same time with Mack Simmons in Chicago ... so guess this is our guy (that makes a grand total of 6 x 45's by him; 3 on Deke).

His last 45 ............

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

3 hours ago, soulbaby said:

Hello,

I am thrilled by his two 45s he released on Deke. Does anyone has information about him and the label? Would love to know if he is still alive.

Thank you to all who can provide some information!

Assuming it is the same artist, check out the 45  'Love don't lie' on the Jimilynn logo. Excellent beat ballad with good lyrics.

Andy

Social source share

1 hour ago, Louise said:

"Make Believe Everthings All Right" Capitol issue copies only

Dave

This came out on a local label before Capitol.Think it was a label called Eyeball or something similar.Tim Brown had a copy.

Social source share

5 minutes ago, NCFC said:

This came out on a local label before Capitol.Think it was a label called Eyeball or something similar.Tim Brown had a copy.

Yep, produced by H.B. Barnum on the Eyeball copy.

But credited as produced by Eyeball Records on the Capitol release.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

JJ on Deke ............  Deke was Deke Atkins label (he also did stuff for Calla, Duo, etc) .......

Pack It Up And Bring It Back / Lonely Room In Memphis  DK5411

Do What Comes Natural / I'm So Glad I Got You      DK5412

Live And Let Live / I Don't Mind Confessing      DK 5413

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, still diggin said:

Assuming it is the same artist, check out the 45  'Love don't lie' on the Jimilynn logo. Excellent beat ballad with good lyrics.

Andy

Here's a scan of that 45 ..... would guess that this was Jimmy's own label ........... limited release to get licensing from bigger outfit ?

JimmyJones45.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

7 hours ago, RobbK said:

Could he be the same Chicago Jimmy Jones who was a songwriter and producer with The Leaner Brothers' One-derFul/Mar-V-Lus/M-Pac Records during the mid '60s?

Yes it is Robb !! He co-wrote "Tired of Being Lonely" and many more goodies !!

Social source share

Songwriter Jimmy Leonard Jones wrote many songs, these are a few of them …. AIN'T GONNA CRY NO MORE, AIN'T NOTHING WRONG MAKIN LOVE THE FIRST NIGHT, ALVIN'S BOO GA LOO, BOSTON MONKEY, A BOY NAMED KENT, CALDO, CONCRETE RESERVATIONS, DOIN THE ALI SHUFFLE, DUSTY BLUES, ENOUGH FOR EVERYBODY, FATTY BOO, GHETTO, GIMME SOME OF WHAT YOU GOT, GIMME SOME OF YOURS I'LL GIVE YOU SOME OF MINE, GOOD LOVIN, GOT TO FIND A WAY, I GOT TO FIND A WAY TO GET YOU BACK, I LIVE THE LIFE I LOVE, I SIMPLY LOVE HIM, I TESTIFY …..... plus …. GOT TO FIND A WAY, I PAID THE PRICE, LIVE AND LET LIVE, LONELY ROOM IN MEMPHIS, PHILLY FREEZE, THAT'S WHERE THE ACTION IS, THINGS AIN'T WHAT THEY USED TO BE, TIRED OF BEING LONELY, TIRED OF FALLING IN (And Out Of) LOVE & many more.

Notice anything from the list … see the 3rd & 8th title (both cut by Alvin Cash) and those towards the end "Philly Freeze" (another Alvin Cash record), "Tired of Being Lonely” (a biggie for the Sharpees) and "I Want You" (a 45 cut from Troy Johnson) ..... so the singer Jimmy (Lee) Jones is the great Vapac songwriter Jimmy Leonard Jones … SMALL WORLD !! ........

TroyJohnson45.jpg

OtisClay45.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Deke 5411 is credited to Jimmie Lee Jones, so that may be a source of the confusion.

Jones also cut "Do It Yourself/ If I Had A Hammer" on Gospel Truth 1215 in 1974.

I think the Jimilynn 45 might be the work of Jimmy "Handyman" Jones rather than the Chicago artist.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Luck
On 4/12/2016 at 13:56, Roburt said:

Guess Boba could have tracked him down (if had still been around). We lost a gud'un when we lost Bob.

We certainly did. I miss him a ton.

Here's the Twinight JJ issue, potentially with the Pieces Of Peace on strings/backing. Solid track:

Edited by Luck
(spelling)
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Yet another soulful Jimmy Jones, this one out of the New York area in 1970/71 ... many soul 45's got little or no promotion; Jody (Jodi) Records were pushing both sides of this 45 over a period of 13 months, placing numerous trade ads BUT it still failed to make any impact .....

JimmyJonesSayAmen45x.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!