John Venn (Esher) R.I.P

I just  heard the sad new that John Venn - better known to most of us as Esher, from Brosely in Shropshire - died yesterday. He was 63. Esher was a stalwart of the Northern scene from its earliest days. He deejayed in the oldies room at the Stafford All-nighters, and later started and ran the 86 Club, at Swancote, Bridgnorth, which was at its peak in the late 80s and early 90s. I've known him since I was 15, and have had some of the best times I ever had with Esh. I know I wont be alone in missing him a lot.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

So sad. Only seen Esher twice in the last 6 months but he was so ill. Esher was the first serious record collector i knew and he did have a great collection that he eventually parted with. He came to my house on one occasion and told me how his collecting started... His older sister went with local DJ 'Barmy Barry' who had based his act to be as controversial as Jimmy Saville's was back in the day. I never saw him but apparently he was a showman on the decks doing crazy things. When 'BBs' fame spread in the west and north midlands, record companies sent him tons of promotional records. However, if they didn't fit in with his show he passed them onto Esher's sister who in turn passed them to Esher. Esher said it wasn't until he was older and got into soul music that he truly realised what he had been given. I think this was the catalyst to Esher becoming a top collector.

Certainly a big loss and will be greatly missed - Ade

Social source share

John was a true gentleman and was one of the driving forces in putting the West Midlands on the Northern soul map. 86 Club, Swancote, Nautical William and even putting live acts on, and often losing money. We travelled to many places together including a visit to see The Four Tops in their heyday in Wolverhampton and spent lots of time at The Discary in Birmingham discussing and collecting vinyl. Will always  remember his snappy dressing. Top Man, Top DJ , who will sadly missed R.I.P John  "Esher" Venn 

Chid

Edited by soulie8
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 16:12, El Corol said:

Sad to hear.

A few of us put a soul night on back in B'ham around the early nineties and we had Esher as one of the DJs. On the night without prompting he offered to take a reduced fee to help us out, always remember that.

RIP John

Hi John, yes this is awful news. Is the event you talk about held at the 'hen and chickens' at Oldbury? If so I remember attending with Esher that night. Ade

Social source share

I Have only just read the sad news of a TOP SOUL BROTHER, a TWISTED WHEELITE, & a close friend, My GOD what can I say about John, Anybody who went to the Wheel got a baptism with SOUL that makes them stand out in a crowd, John filled that role, my relationship with John was Old School, However he was a top promoter with the classic 86 club, a club where I actually DJ,

At the moment all I can say is GOD BLESS JOHN,  RIP ESHER a WHEELITE & SOUL BROTHER, & My Friend.

Social source share

Sad loss to the soul scene , we had some great nights with him and the 86 club crowd at Swancote.

God bless R.I.P .        Paddy and Mary Jennings.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!