Styrene West Coast; Vinyl East Coast??

Plenty of Styrene plants on the east coast and the middle of the country: Allentown (ARC) who pressed for London Records in Pennsylvania, Shelley in New York (Shrine and lots of indies plus the Roulette-distributed custom labels), Columbia's Pitman, New Jersey plant (the biggest record pressing plant in the world for a decade), Bestway (the inventors of the Styrene 45!). In the midwest the various Mercury/Philips plants produced what has to be the worst styrene of the lot.

The west coast had many vinyl plants: Alco, Allied, Waddell in Burbank (the MGM west coast operation) etc.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, garethx said:

Plenty of Styrene plants on the east coast and the middle of the country: Allentown (ARC) who pressed for London Records in Pennsylvania, Shelley in New York (Shrine and lots of indies plus the Roulette-distributed custom labels), Columbia's Pitman, New Jersey plant (the biggest record pressing plant in the world for a decade), Bestway (the inventors of the Styrene 45!). In the midwest the various Mercury/Philips plants produced what has to be the worst styrene of the lot.

The west coast had many vinyl plants: Alco, Allied, Waddell in Burbank (the MGM west coast operation) etc.

Thanks, I think the West Coast being mainly styrene theory has had its day

Social source share

7 hours ago, garethx said:

In the midwest the various Mercury/Philips plants produced what has to be the worst styrene of the lot.

I agree with this.  Some Philips and Blue Rock styrene records i dare not play very often, as they can wear out very quickly. 

Monarch styrene is usually good.  A mint Monarch styrene record has great fidelity.  Hardly any background noise compared to a lot of vinyl records.

Social source share

Most of the Mercury family pressings were done by Richmond Plastics (I think that's the name) in Richmond, Indiana. The same place also did custom jobs, the Vondells on Airtown would be one of them, a record that has the same problems as Mercury related records like Kenny Carlton on Blue Rock. The Richmond plant, together with the CBS/Columbia pressing plant in Terre Haute on the other side of the state means Indiana was the Styrene State of record pressings - balanced out by the huge vinyl pressing plant for RCA in Indianapolis.

Social source share

14 minutes ago, George G said:

Most of the Mercury family pressings were done by Richmond Plastics (I think that's the name) in Richmond, Indiana. The same place also did custom jobs, the Vondells on Airtown would be one of them, a record that has the same problems as Mercury related records like Kenny Carlton on Blue Rock. The Richmond plant, together with the CBS/Columbia pressing plant in Terre Haute on the other side of the state means Indiana was the Styrene State of record pressings - balanced out by the huge vinyl pressing plant for RCA in Indianapolis.

Good info.  Unlike Mercury, I have always found the Columbia styrene (ZTSC) from Terre Haute pressing plant, very good quality.  Just as good as Monarch.

Am I right in thinking the RCA vinyl records from the Indianapolis plant have an I stamped in the run out groove, as opposed to the R or H from the other RCA plants?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

5 hours ago, solidsoul said:

Am I right in thinking the RCA vinyl records from the Indianapolis plant have an I stamped in the run out groove, as opposed to the R or H from the other RCA plants?

Yes, I for Indianapolis, H for Hollywood, R for Rockaway, NJ. So RCA was pressing vinyl on both coasts and middle America.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!