Any chance this could be made to play again?

Damian

Hi all, 

A few of you may have seen my posts about this record - seller sent it in a regular padded envelope and the inevitable happened - 

IMG_20160419_190909.jpg

I did get my money back and I thought I'd try to get the record to play - figured I couldn't make it worse... 

But I can't. Unlike I expected, the crack doesn't want to stay closed unlike on other cracked records I've had. I'm thinking it's maybe debris from the label tear getting in the way. But I haven't fixed that many cracked records unlike some of you here, so I thought I'd ask before trying anything else. As you know this one's too good sides so it'd be great to be able to play both.. I usually use a tiny drop of nail varnish on the non-grooved surface (on both sides) to immobilize the crack, as it doesn't melt the vinyl like Loctite does. But I need the crack to close first! 

Cheers, 

D 

Social source share

20 hours ago, Pga1 said:

Both sides I bet someone knows ? But one side not a prob, clear all label crap, lay on flat surface, tiniest  drop of super glue on edge and then tiny  bit of tape on run in  25 mm x 5 folded over both sides. Leave for a while and drink about fifteen cans of carling plus a few vodkas and play. It will sound great. Well that's what I do. In recent months I have knelt on bobby bland ( clean snap in half)  Barbara McNair  your gonna love my baby which I threw my house keys at and snapped plus hole in run out groove. Eddie floyd which I broke while drinking said cans and snapped in hand while falling over  and then managed to break dean Courtney (kneeling on) while moaning about breaking Eddie floyd.  While writing this I shed a tear, thinking about the creations - dream one of my all time favourites, had it in my hand telling my mate how good this record is/was obviously my passion for tune made my grip too strong for brittle 45.  Cheers.  Ps please check my website for record sales, am selling half my record collection, many bargains at half price  

note do not drink the fifteen cans followed by the vodka then try and glue the record, it wont work, especially if you put it in a card sleeve before the glue was dry

Social source share

20 hours ago, Pga1 said:

Both sides I bet someone knows ? But one side not a prob, clear all label crap, lay on flat surface, tiniest  drop of super glue on edge and then tiny  bit of tape on run in  25 mm x 5 folded over both sides. Leave for a while and drink about fifteen cans of carling plus a few vodkas and play. It will sound great. Well that's what I do. In recent months I have knelt on bobby bland ( clean snap in half)  Barbara McNair  your gonna love my baby which I threw my house keys at and snapped plus hole in run out groove. Eddie floyd which I broke while drinking said cans and snapped in hand while falling over  and then managed to break dean Courtney (kneeling on) while moaning about breaking Eddie floyd.  While writing this I shed a tear, thinking about the creations - dream one of my all time favourites, had it in my hand telling my mate how good this record is/was obviously my passion for tune made my grip too strong for brittle 45.  Cheers.  Ps please check my website for record sales, am selling half my record collection, many bargains at half price  

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

21 hours ago, damian said:

Hi all, 

A few of you may have seen my posts about this record - seller sent it in a regular padded envelope and the inevitable happened - 

IMG_20160419_190909.jpg

I did get my money back and I thought I'd try to get the record to play - figured I couldn't make it worse... 

But I can't. Unlike I expected, the crack doesn't want to stay closed unlike on other cracked records I've had. I'm thinking it's maybe debris from the label tear getting in the way. But I haven't fixed that many cracked records unlike some of you here, so I thought I'd ask before trying anything else. As you know this one's too good sides so it'd be great to be able to play both.. I usually use a tiny drop of nail varnish on the non-grooved surface (on both sides) to immobilize the crack, as it doesn't melt the vinyl like Loctite does. But I need the crack to close first! 

Cheers, 

D 

I can't think of any reason but the label debris why crack doesn't stay closed. Or was it warped before by any chance?

I'd tear of any label debris around the crack and then try to fix the crack. I mean what's worse, record that won't play or some label damage?

By the way with a solid crack all the way through the record I'd say that chances you fix the crack and both sides remain playable are rather slim.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I agree that the record probably had an existing warp & then fractured when inserted in a mailing envelope,

the warp would explain the reason you cannot allign the grooves when flat?

therefore the chances of repairing so that both sides are playable is very slim I'm afraid,

from my experience the best long term method of repairing is by securing a scrap but intact record on the rear but again due to the warp this will be difficult but not impossible!

whatever method you choose I would suggest that you don't get any adhesive anywhere near the actual fracture/joint itself.

I have some experience of repairing records & I am prepared to do it for you BUT it would of course be at your OWN risk.(pm me for details)

otherwise goodluck!

Triode

Social source share

Thanks! Both for the insight and for the offer. I won't have time to look at it until the weekend, but I'll sit down when I have a few quiet minutes to look at the disc closely under a good light and see if I can figure out what's going on. As to whether the disc was warped, I don't know - the seller did not mention it (then again, he posted it in a paper envelope..) and I have no way of knowing now. But it may well have been (part of) the cause. 

Cheers, 

D 

Social source share

On 24 April 2016 at 00:58, Pga1 said:

When you say you're selling half your record collection. Do you mean half of each record? As none of em seem to be in one piece anymore! :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Welp, I gave this a try and it didn't go too badly! 

Pegado_IMG_20160604_133453.jpg

The idea came to me suddenly, I have these paper dot-type stickers that are pretty sticky and stiff. So I cut two of them in half (they would've been too big otherwise), cupped my hands around the record and pressed in to get the gap to close as much as I could (I was afraid it'd suddenly shatter into a million pieces, fortunately it didn't happen) and somehow managed to drop a sticker on the lead-in with one free finger. Then I did the others (both sides as per the photo). 

And wouldn't you know.. it plays. Both sides. No skips, just a rather noticeable click - but I've noticed that if I press the "Mono" button on my amp, you don't hear even that. And it plays sooo cleanly... which only makes me want to kick myself more!! I even managed to clean it on the Knosti (works like a charm on 45s), although I feel that it may have weakened the stickers a bit - I may have to redo it. 

Also thinking of other alternatives like buying some sort of specialized (model plane?) glue that won't harm the plastic or even 'fusing' the crack together by using a soldering iron on the lead-in, but that would take some massive cojones

Social source share

28 minutes ago, damian said:

Welp, I gave this a try and it didn't go too badly! 

Pegado_IMG_20160604_133453.jpg

The idea came to me suddenly, I have these paper dot-type stickers that are pretty sticky and stiff. So I cut two of them in half (they would've been too big otherwise), cupped my hands around the record and pressed in to get the gap to close as much as I could (I was afraid it'd suddenly shatter into a million pieces, fortunately it didn't happen) and somehow managed to drop a sticker on the lead-in with one free finger. Then I did the others (both sides as per the photo). 

And wouldn't you know.. it plays. Both sides. No skips, just a rather noticeable click - but I've noticed that if I press the "Mono" button on my amp, you don't hear even that. And it plays sooo cleanly... which only makes me want to kick myself more!! I even managed to clean it on the Knosti (works like a charm on 45s), although I feel that it may have weakened the stickers a bit - I may have to redo it. 

Also thinking of other alternatives like buying some sort of specialized (model plane?) glue that won't harm the plastic or even 'fusing' the crack together by using a soldering iron on the lead-in, but that would take some massive cojones

Nice one. I always play mono records with the 'mono' amp button switched on. It vastly impoves the quality of the playback.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 24 April 2016 at 23:36, damian said:

Hi all, 

IMG_20160419_190909.jpg

Cheers, 

D 

Will one of thos Laser printers be able to copy it?

Tez

Social source share

On 24/04/2016 at 00:58, Pga1 said:

Sounds like half your record collection is indeed in halves!

Social source share

Hiya Steve, by sticking records back together I ( the wrong halves)  I have created some great Frankensteinesque tunes eg  bobby bland and  Eddie floyd   ' never found me a yum yum tree to love me like you do' instant rarity. Sadly tonight my wife has barred me from playing records after our day- night out at sketchley grange, great music by the way,  cheers

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!