The Precisions - I Wanna Tell My Baby/My Lover Come Back

Guest jbriscoe26

Guest jbriscoe26

Just how rare is this record? Does anyone in the UK/Europe own a copy?

Thanks,

James

Edited by jbriscoe26
Social source share

5 hours ago, jbriscoe26 said:

Just how rare is this record? Does anyone in the UK/Europe own a copy?

Thanks,

James

It's not as super-rare as those that had an extremely small single press run, or those records that had their press runs called back and those pressed were destroyed, or those press orders that were cancelled after only the 6 test pressings were made, but it IS certainly rare for those records that had a legitimate, complete press run.  It got no air time on radio, other than possibly a few plays on a Soul station in Detroit, and it got very few sales.  I've only seen a couple copies in the hands of 2 large Detroit collectors, and never, myself, saw one in circulation.  I've been looking for it for 51 years, but can't afford to pay NS collector prices.  I don't think there are many copies around.  But there are certainly more than a handful.

Social source share

I bought one from a guy in Detroit 1990 about $110 it wasn't in great shape but the other side (what I wanted it for played better)  A fantastic moment in my life was hearing the group sing "i wanna tell" in rehearsal on the Thursday afternoon, shame they never used it in the show. I more wonder going very slightly off topic how rare is Don Heart "Don't give in " any one ?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest jbriscoe26
2 hours ago, RobbK said:

It's not as super-rare as those that had an extremely small single press run, or those records that had their press runs called back and those pressed were destroyed, or those press orders that were cancelled after only the 6 test pressings were made, but it IS certainly rare for those records that had a legitimate, complete press run.  It got no air time on radio, other than possibly a few plays on a Soul station in Detroit, and it got very few sales.  I've only seen a couple copies in the hands of 2 large Detroit collectors, and never, myself, saw one in circulation.  I've been looking for it for 51 years, but can't afford to pay NS collector prices.  I don't think there are many copies around.  But there are certainly more than a handful.

Cheers, Robb and others! That puts things in to better perspective. I've been looking at sale prices from previous auctions (such as on eBay) and they (I found maybe six or so) were going for around £900 and I think most were sold by US owners. Might be a while til I get my hands on one then...

Social source share

Guest jbriscoe26
1 hour ago, Gilly said:

I bought one from a guy in Detroit 1990 about $110 it wasn't in great shape but the other side (what I wanted it for played better)  A fantastic moment in my life was hearing the group sing "i wanna tell" in rehearsal on the Thursday afternoon, shame they never used it in the show. I more wonder going very slightly off topic how rare is Don Heart "Don't give in " any one ?

Not selling it, are you?

Social source share

yeah, there's a few of these in here in the US, including the one I have. Fantastic record on both sides, but it is not favored by the younger US DJ/soul dance scene as it's a little too much of a doowop throwback. I've never heard a copy that has a clear, bright sound, such as their Drew sides. I'm sure that it was recorded at a different (cheaper?) studio than the Drew sides, that's probably part of it

Social source share

1 hour ago, George G said:

yeah, there's a few of these in here in the US, including the one I have. Fantastic record on both sides, but it is not favored by the younger US DJ/soul dance scene as it's a little too much of a doowop throwback. I've never heard a copy that has a clear, bright sound, such as their Drew sides. I'm sure that it was recorded at a different (cheaper?) studio than the Drew sides, that's probably part of it

Ha! Ha! No surprise, there!  Yes, I guess the recording at Sidra's studio was quite a bit cleaner than "The Pigpen" - (the loo in Mike Hanks' house)!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Gilly said:

Don Heart's "Don't Give In" is not very common, but not very rare.  I saw several copies of it in the '60s.  It wasn't nearly as desirable as The Precisions, so probably a lot less people bought it 2nd hand.  I never heard that played on the radio.  And I imagine it had a single small press run, similar to The Precisions.  But, I imagine a lot more of The Precisions ended up in collections.  In USA in the '60s, there were a LOT more general Soul collectors and soul group collectors, and "Sweet Soul" collectors who would have bought The Precisions, while mainly just the hard core Detroit collectors, and "Bluesy Soul" collectors ("Deep Soul" collectors ) would have liked the likes of Don Heart, Lee Rogers and Buddy Lamp.

Social source share

6 hours ago, garethx said:

I understand the Precisions on Hen Mar are a different group.

4 hours ago, Gilly said:

Yes I've got a Don Heart demo Gilly .... want to swap?  see you at Pure Soul with it?  :):thumbsup:

4 hours ago, chalky said:

They are, they're from Philly. 

Ha!  not often right but I'm wrong again :)

Social source share

40 minutes ago, RobbK said:

Ha! Ha! No surprise, there!  Yes, I guess the recording at Sidra's studio was quite a bit cleaner than "The Pigpen" - (the loo in Mike Hanks' house)!

Thanks, my knowledge of D Town records is pretty slim, other than the records I've come across. Got a Ronnie Love on a red D Town recently that I didn't know about. Sounds pretty good to my ears. Don't think it's a big deal value wise.

Social source share

As ROBBK has pointed out the Pig Pen studio was rather basic, in fact when they were going for a take they used to have to stop the traffic or wait until it had past as the noise would pick-up on the recording equipment. Also D Towns recording for that song is 64 I thought it was 65 but the Drew recordings started in 66 and there would of been a more track recording facility ( 8 tracks as opposed to only 4) ROBBK will know the facts on that if iam not right

Social source share

4 hours ago, Gilly said:

As ROBBK has pointed out the Pig Pen studio was rather basic, in fact when they were going for a take they used to have to stop the traffic or wait until it had past as the noise would pick-up on the recording equipment. Also D Towns recording for that song is 64 I thought it was 65 but the Drew recordings started in 66 and there would of been a more track recording facility ( 8 tracks as opposed to only 4) ROBBK will know the facts on that if iam not right

Gilly, seem to remember some of the La Beat recordings had the same traffic noise problems at time of recording, and the tapes had to be sent away and processed by some service that could remove background noise.

Cheers
Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 25/04/2016 at 17:28, Gilly said:

Also, I remember you having that Precisions at Bretby in the early to mid-nineties, which was the first time I ever saw one. I think Sam was after it from you, but I just ended up buying your acetate of "My Dear Heart" voc / inst on the same night.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 25/04/2016 at 17:28, Gilly said:

I bought one from a guy in Detroit 1990 about $110 it wasn't in great shape but the other side (what I wanted it for played better)  

Still have it on a tape from the 1991 Yarmouth w/ender when you played it on the radio during your spot with Geoff Whitfield. Loved it ever since :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like "Mexican Love Song", but like "You're Sweet" better.  But, I like "I Wanna Tell My Baby" AND "My Lover Come Back" more than those, and also more than any of their Drew cuts.

Are you Mark (from Cleveland)?  Oder bist Du einen Deutscher aus Kleve (Cleve)?

Social source share

49 minutes ago, clevesoulie said:

Yes, Robb, it's Mark from Cleveland, the guy you know from the Soulful Detroit Forum (which I haven't been to in a while!).

Best,

Mark

Hi Mark.  Yes, there aren't many interesting threads there anymore.  And when I start one, it just dies.  There are almost no record collectors talking about the details of record issues, anymore.  It's mostly gossip, and talking about current artists.  Where are all the great threads we used to have, putting together detailed discographies of labels, and talking about their owners, producers, arrangers, recording sessions, songwriters, and group members.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 03:15, clevesoulie said:

"I Wanna Tell My Baby" isn't bad, but I prefer their other one on D-Town, "Mexican Love Song", which I do have.

Best,

Mark

I love Mexican Love song too

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!