Ikea Advert - Penny and the Quarters

Mike

Just seen a new Ikea advert using the once oscar nominated Penny and the Quarters track - You and Me 

A memory refresh on the background of this track  if needed...

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articles/news-soul/rare-soul-at-the-oscars-blue-valentine-r2159/

Nearly thirty years after the label closed its doors, a mysterious box of tapes turned up at an estate sale in Columbus, OH. Originally thought to be the lost Prix masters, it was instead discovered to be dozens of demos, rehearsals and a few finished songs recorded in Harmonic Sounds' prime. The tape boxes were for the most part unmarked; creating a puzzle that would require some time to solve. Penny & the Quarters' "You And Me" is a random rehearsal by a group no one can remember but, one more song we wouldn't let be forgotten. -- Numbero Group"

• Helpful 3
Social source share

14 hours ago, Peter99 said:

It's one of those records where the rawness and innocence of the female vocal gets me. 

:wub:

My ears pricked up as soon as I heard this!!!!  Well put.............couldn't agree more.   :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 4/29/2016 at 17:27, Rick Cooper said:

I'd agree with Mal and Seb on this. Don't pay much attention to ads but this made me take notice. I thought some of the song sounded very similar to the Motown song This Old Heart of Mine.

Rick

Which is probably why it stayed in the can......

Ian D :)

Social source share

at first I wondered if this was a new, retro sounding cut, but it just had something that Iv yet to hear in in a modern tune, a real honesty and genuine human quality that just 'soul' in its essence. is it commercially available on vinyl ian? 

Social source share

2 hours ago, geeselad said:

at first I wondered if this was a new, retro sounding cut, but it just had something that Iv yet to hear in in a modern tune, a real honesty and genuine human quality that just 'soul' in its essence. is it commercially available on vinyl ian? 

Strangely I'd heard this first last week, I don't watch terrestrial to so I hadn't seen the advert, got my copy from the numero website, all of 7 bucks.... Think the post cost me more...?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Always thought it was this old heart of mine slowed down but even so I still think its got that new retro sound about it. Sure there's  been a few of these knocking about for a few years,  too raw and stylised but luckily I found one in my attic but when I pulled it it down I fell off my ladder and snapped it in half and then stubbed a fag out on it.   Cheers.   Ps update , just spoke to a dj friend of mine and he reckons he used to play it at the broken badger (early doors)  always fitted into his sett. Too underground for me.  Cheers

Always thought it was this old heart of mine slowed down but even so I still think its got that new retro sound about it. Sure there's  been a few of these knocking about for a few years,  too raw and stylised but luckily I found one in my attic but when I pulled it it down I fell off my ladder and snapped it in half and then stubbed a fag out on it.   Cheers.   Ps update , just spoke to a dj friend of mine and he reckons he used to play it at the broken badger (early doors)  always fitted into his sett. Too underground for me.  Cheers

Social source share

Guest jbriscoe26

All Ryan Gosling/ Michelle Williams fans will know and love this one. Great film (Blue Valentine) with a good soundtrack, this being the highlight.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!