Sad News RIP Cockney Mick Webb

Sarge

Cockney Mick (Webb) passed away earlier today

he was set to DJ 'one last time' this coming Friday at West End Center Social club, Woking (details below)

Fridays soul night will be a Memorial to Cockney Mick ...and a fundraiser towards his funeral expenses

(Hopefully) later today there  be  paypal account details for anyone who cant make the Memorial but would like to donate

13092017_1019558971464414_2700297325668717392_n.jpg

Social source share

Oh no, Mick was a good friend to me when I first started out on the scene, used to travel to venues with him many times in his Mark 1 Cortina, he was a true gentleman and a soul man through and through, had the pleasure of DJ'ing with him as well many times during the early to mid 80's, he used to make me laugh so much with his dry whit, last time I saw him was when I DJ'd down at Bisley must be well over 10/12 years ago, one of the originals and a diamond geezer.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mick was a fun guy who was passionate about his music.

A regular contributor to Blackbeat magazine in the 80s, and he was it's most successful salesman. Whilst trendy bookshops like Compendium in Camden managed to sell 10-20 copies of each issue, Mick used to shift upwards of 50 copies and ask for more!

Had a last pint of Newkie Brown with him last year at the Phillipines charity alldayer up at Tuffnel Park.

RIP Mick Webb. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I last saw him on New Years Eve at Southampton Soul Club. He was still driving himself around and about to events pretty much every weekend and he told me then that his time was nearly done, which makes his passing no less saddening.

He was a real character and, as Ady alluded to, was never shy in giving you his musical opinion, no matter how brutally frank!!!

It was before my time, but he is perhaps most famous for an incident at an all dayer in the mid/late 70s at Reading Top Rank. I am sure some on here would have been there and will remember the event. Apparently, Lacy Lady DJ Chris Hill had led the main room funksters on a conga line into the Northern room upstairs. On their return to the main funk/disco room, Mick walked up to the decks, grabbed the copy of Magic Fly by Space which Chris Hill was playing, snapped it in half shouting that he didn't pay good money to hear shit like that!! Many years later, Mick and I went to a night near Tower Bridge and got chatting to Dr Bob Jones - when the subject of that incident got mentioned, Mick at first didn't let on that it was him. It soon became apparent who he was and, on realising who he was talking to, Dr Bob gleefully asked "you're Cockney Mick, aren't you??!"

Others have mentioned it as well, but he was responsible for getting many youngsters into the soul scene, particularly in the early/mid 80s when he was a regular DJ at events around Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Herts and surrounding areas. He was a genuine inspiration to many young soulies back then. He loved soul right across the board too and had some superb 45s in his collection, particularly British labels. I have some very fond memories of Mick Webb.

RIP mate.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Mick was as well-known for his excellent sense of humour, as he was his knowledge of black American music and his amazing record collection.  A couple of examples of his humour which made me smile:

My phone rings at home. "Hi Gene, it's Mick".  "Mick?"  Yeah, it's Mick".  "Mick who?"  "There's only one Mick, you ding-dong"!

On an occasion I phoned Mick one Sunday morning;  "(in a tired, stretchy voice) 'Ello?".  "Hi, is Mick there please?".  Hang on a minute, I'll have a look.......yeah, I'm here - who's that?".  

His other usual address when answering the phone was "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss???"

Conversation over a beer.  "'Ere's one for you mate.  Why do the crabs on the beach all walk sideways"?  "Erm, I don't know.  Why?"  (starts walking sideways) "Oh I do like to be beside the seaside....".

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

19 hours ago, Louise said:

The only guy I've ever seen playing crib in his carpet slippers at a soul do.

R.I.P Mick

Dave & Louise

And Glynnis his Missus was always in her slippers at Soul do's....Glynnis also passed a while back....so sad, just looked at the picture posted earlier & find it hard to imagine that guy is Mick Webb, I knew Mick off n on for about the last 20 odd years, but he always looked old in the time I knew him lol....always supported my promotions did Mick n Glynnis, will be missed for sure....

RIP Cockney Mick Webb

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Russ Vickers said:

And Glynnis his Missus was always in her slippers at Soul do's....Glynnis also passed a while back....so sad, just looked at the picture posted earlier & find it hard to imagine that guy is Mick Webb, I knew Mick off n on for about the last 20 odd years, but he always looked old in the time I knew him lol....always supported my promotions did Mick n Glynnis, will be missed for sure....

RIP Cockney Mick Webb

Didn't realise Glynis had also passed away.  That's  really sad.  They only got married about 1990/91, I think.  I know Mick married quite late in life, when he was in his early 40s.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

16 hours ago, Gene-R said:

Didn't realise Glynis had also passed away.  That's  really sad.  They only got married about 1990/91, I think.  I know Mick married quite late in life, when he was in his early 40s.

Yes she was from the Norfolk fens I think, somewhere near Kings Lynn. I remember when I was living in Peterborough, he just turned up one night and said he was on his way to see her. It was typical of his all round good-egg character to take a detour and pop in for a cuppa.  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve G said:

Yes she was from the Norfolk fens I think, somewhere near Kings Lynn. I remember when I was living in Peterborough, he just turned up one night and said he was on his way to see her. It was typical of his all round good-egg character to take a detour and pop in for a cuppa.  :thumbsup:

Sounds just like Mick.  Probably one of the most humble and modest characters you could ever wish to meet on the scene.  I doubt we'll ever see his like again - he really was one of a kind.

Social source share

On 28 April 2016 at 12:26, Gene-R said:

Mick was as well-known for his excellent sense of humour, as he was his knowledge of black American music and his amazing record collection.  A couple of examples of his humour which made me smile:

My phone rings at home. "Hi Gene, it's Mick".  "Mick?"  Yeah, it's Mick".  "Mick who?"  "There's only one Mick, you ding-dong"!

On an occasion I phoned Mick one Sunday morning;  "(in a tired, stretchy voice) 'Ello?".  "Hi, is Mick there please?".  Hang on a minute, I'll have a look.......yeah, I'm here - who's that?".  

His other usual address when answering the phone was "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss???"

Conversation over a beer.  "'Ere's one for you mate.  Why do the crabs on the beach all walk sideways"?  "Erm, I don't know.  Why?"  (starts walking sideways) "Oh I do like to be beside the seaside....".

Can just see him saying all the above 

;-)

Social source share

Mick had been a regular at the Teddington and Walton monthly soul nights over the past three years. He turned up out of the blue one night and we joked that we thought he had died  (Mick had a great sense of humour as has been mentioned elsewhere) but were glad to see him. He had spent some time caring for Glynis and after she passed he started to come out again. He was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years ago and the treatment took its toll on him but it never stopped him coming to the soul nights, he said it was his only respite. I last saw him at Teddington in April and we joked about some of the letters he exchanged with Pete Lawson (and others) through the pages of Blackbeat and he wondered what Pete would have made of the scene today. Always a realist he also said that the treatment was not helping him and he felt like shit. R.I.P. Mick.           

• Helpful 3
Social source share

• 1 month later...

1976ish

Got a lift with Mick from Aldershot in his Mk 2 cortina not sure if it was a 1600e , got to Wigan car park, and he took the steering wheel off and put it in the boot, "fuckem they ain't stealing this" he would say, good laugh, great guy, always time to talk, always great stories, respect big guy.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!