Soul nights in Philly ?

Guest Polyvelts

Guest Polyvelts

Can't believe I'm asking this, it's definitely a 'coals to Newcastle' moment ! I will be in Philadelphia last 2 weeks of May, does anyone know of any soul nights, meets etc ?

Social source share

Last time I was there, I found a small club/bar on Logan Square (Just off Benjamin Franklin) that played more new R&B and the odd old Soul track, but nothing much else. Anyhow, you'll be too busy taking in that fine City to worry about Soul do's. Take a walk along the Delaware early in the morning, head south and eat Philly cheesesteak and look out for Isaiah Zager's mosaics while record hunting, head to Tommy Dinics at Reading Terminal, look at where Sigma Studios and Philadelphia Int records once stood and do some more record hunting and go North near Fishtown to the Milk Crate cafe and more sure you get a 'Soul' table while eating an Ike and Tina Tuna sandwich :D   before going downstairs to look for more vinyl  

Edited by tsu tomatoes
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, tsu tomatoes said:

Last time I was there, I found a small club/bar on Logan Square (Just off Benjamin Franklin) that played more new R&B and the odd old Soul track, but nothing much else. Anyhow, you'll be too busy taking in that fine City to worry about Soul do's. Take a walk along the Delaware early in the morning, head south and eat Philly cheesesteak and look out for Isaiah Zager's mosaics while record hunting, head to Tommy Dinics at Reading Terminal, look at where Sigma Studios and Philadelphia Int records once stood and do some more record hunting and go North near Fishtown to the Milk Crate cafe and more sure you get a 'Soul' table while eating an Ike and Tina Tuna sandwich :D   before going downstairs to look for more vinyl  

You just love Philly mate your description makes me want to get on the plane virtue locating 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones
2 hours ago, tsu tomatoes said:

Ike And Tina Tuna……….Ha ha:) Superb…..

Social source share

.....oh and one thing NOT to do is, if you take a tour of the Liberty Bell and the annoying American woman starts blathering on about America's 'history' don't shout out "My house is older than your Country, Love" They don't like it up 'em 

13 hours ago, Flanny said:

You just love Philly mate your description makes me want to get on the plane virtue locating 

...cos you can't beat a bit o' Philly! :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Buy a cheap rail ticket. New York just over an hour, or Washington around 2h. But plenty for you to do in Philly. Went to NY , just to crowded, I was glad to get back to Philly,far more relaxing. Go across the river to Camden NJ different kettle of fish there.

Social source share

Years ago Silk City did have something soul-related fairly regularly, but I haven't heard of anything recently.

Actually, just went on the Silk City site, and looks like there is a  Sunday Motown night near the end of the month:

https://www.silkcityphilly.com/events/456/special-memorial-weekend-edition-motown-on-sunday-w-junior-and-lil-dave

Edited by djr
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!