Reissues - good or bad for the value of Originals

Hi folks, 

Just canvasing opinions... 

When a record, usually very rare (though not always the case) is reissued by... Fryer, Jazzman etc is it good or bad for those who own the original. 

Does it go one of two ways...

1. It drives up demand thus further increasing the value of an already sought after/expensive record. 

2. it kills off the demand because of market saturation and overkill vis-a-vis because its been reissued it's also not as sought after even though OVO collectors will always only buy OVO, does it loose some of its magic? 

perhaps the latter caveat is subjective, as some records are always going to be winners in my opinion... I'm thinking Tony T - What's the Use or Sage War Fare - Don't be so Jive.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Better a legit re issue than a dodgy look - a - like bootleg, I think it matters very little to the original's value and kudos, when you consider the amount of big records that have had a legit re issue or a straight bootleg, in this day and age it has no impact on the sale of a rare original, sales and auctions of the real deal prove that, bootlegs/pressings/re issues have pretty much gone hand in hand with the Northern scene since it's inception and I can't see it changing now, I personally don't have a problem with the likes of Ace/Kent, Soul Junction, Hayley and a company I am now working for Secret Stash and others who pay their dues, licence the tracks etc. there will be split opinion on this I'm sure what the legit side of re issues do is payback some recignition and money be it small to the people who own the publishing rights on material, we know bootlegs don't do this, legit re issues should be embraced as they at least allow people access to the music to be enjoyed because at the end of the day the music is to be shared I feel, bit of a can of worms as it all get's mixed up in the Northern Soul pie.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Russ Vickers said:

Any legal re issue of a good soul record has to be applauded.

The thing that frustrates me personally, is when records are re released before they have really reached there full potential....its slightly pointless too, because if they were to wait just a wee while there would be an even greater demand for the legally re issued product.

I dont want to go in to specifics, but when a record is re issued & is availabale to everyone, it does take the mystique away as a 'play' record.....having paid a fair amount of money for a record last year, that is known ish, but definitly not over played in any way, I'm slightly miffed that it has been re issued recently, when its potential has no where near reached its pinnacle....at least there legal, if it had been a boot it would have REALLY hurt lol.

Just my thoughts, yes, re issue em legally, but if the record is still relatively unknown & DJ's are still working it, at least wait until there is a demand before the release.

You can all do your worst now, I'm waiting to be assasinated verbally, but Im just trying to be honest lol

Russ

I would agree, Russ. 

It happened for me with John Harris and the Soul Sayers. By the time it just got going it was reissued, but as I say, some hold their value (listening value I mean). But what about price... you think it's going to affect you re your purchase?

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I dont think it will affect the price TBH, but Im just a bit dissapointed it has been done so soon, it wont stop my personal enjoyment of the record & Im pleased I have it, but it will tarnish it a bit for me as a record I would DJ with.

Hey ho....at least everyone can enjoy it for themselves now legally....

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was trying hard to track down a certain record ....then lo and behold it was re-released (legitimately as far as i know )......from my personal point of view it took a lot of the drive out of my search for the tune . I would still buy it if i chance upon it now but the desire isn't as strong !!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's all understandable from the collector's point of view. In an ideal world I'd hang on to stuff longer before putting them out but a) not many travel to rare soul venues any more, b) few other DJs want to plug a record for long if they know it's gonna come out (unless it's a really obviously big one) and c) it's often hard to get exclusive rights and there are plenty of bootleggers and semi-legal companies out there who would love to beat you to the punch on a release. In fact we're putting one out soon that I hadn't planned on but didn't want to be pre-empted by a competitor who may lack respect for the source.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!