Joe Moore on Mar-V-Lus - New York or Chicago recording?

Joe Moore's "I still Can't Get To You" is a Jesse Herring written song and production, but strangely appearing on The Leaner Brothers' small Chicago label, Mar-V-Lus.  As both Herring and Moore worked out of New York, one would think this was just another of Herring's New York productions, leased to an out-of-town label, as Herring had done several times.  But, surprisingly, this one SOUNDS  like a Chicago recording!   Could Herring have taken Moore to Chicago, to record Moore at One-Derful?  Anyone know where it was recorded?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Andy Rix said:

I asked Joe about this and he said it was recorded at the RCA studios in New York ... Gloria Toote said she leased it to the Leaner Brothers as she was trying to get the Tru-Glo-Town product into new markets

Andy

Maybe Mar-V-Lus leased these particular cuts, as they sounded most like their own regular product.

Social source share

"I'm Lost Without You" sounds a lot more like a normal Jesse Herring-written song, arrangement by him, and a New York recording than its flip.  Clearly, as Andy stated above, Jesse Herring produced, arranged, and had these 2 cuts recorded in New York, as normal, and Gloria Toote just leased them to Mar-V-Lus, instead of releasing them on Swa-Ray, Toote Town, or Tru-Glo-Town.  It was just a coincidence that the other side sounded more like a Chicago song, and maybe that helped The Leaner Brothers decide to lease it.

Social source share

I like "I Still Can't Get To You" much, much better than its flip.  I guess I;m still a Chicago Boy, at heart.  "I'm Lost Without You" seems to wander some, and doesn't have the nice horns.  I just don't like the song, nor the arrangement.

Social source share

54 minutes ago, Benji said:

@Derek: thanks for posting that great flip side. Right up my street. Never noticed that JM was probably blue-eyed.

If you mean Johnny Manship, I'll agree.  But why would you think Joe Moore was a Caucasian?  Or do you think he was an African-American with Blue eyes, like Billy Eckstine.  I seem to remember seeing a photo of Moore, and he was a Black man.  Do you have some authoritative source for that information?

Social source share

Of course I meant that I didn't notice that Joe Moore is white. Which I somehow assumed after I heard the flip for the first time. However, after your and Andy's posts I stand corrected.

Edited by Benji
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!