Doni Burdick - Candle

Hi Guys

Can anyone clear this one up for me once and for all please.Doni Burdick ---Candle.I have this on a pink Soul King label and have had it since the late 90s(see photo).I know it was unissued and i think its first time on vinyl was the Soul King release

I have never played it out as never been sure it was fully legit.Can anyone give me the nod either way if its ok to give it a spin

Cheers    PattoDoni Burdick U.S Original.JPG

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

As Dave said, early/mid 90s issue first press. Think it had a much later 2nd press on a different coloured label, black?

Was it legal? I don't know. At least it's straight from the master tape like other Soul King releases.

Social source share

All the Soul King releases were legitimate. The label was run by my good friend, Ron Murphy.  He was honest as the day is long.  He bought all those Gold Soul masters from the owner, and he bought the Doni Burdick from its owner, as well.  They were released in 1991.

Social source share

Is there any bio information available on Doni Burdick ?  Who was he ?  

And if he recorded  Candle and Whatcha Gonna Do in 1971 surely it wasn't with the intention of actually releasing them?  The sound would have been  so dated for the American music scene of the early 70s .  Ady mentioned on Soulful Detroit some years ago:

ady_croasdell is offlineSenior Member

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
The instrumental track, "Bari Track" is often credited to Doni Burdick I assume it was a b side to a DB 45?
Has it been established who is the sax player. Again, I assume it's Mike Terry...anybody have information on this stormer?
thanks
snakepit
The creditting of the song to Doni Burdick is disingenious, he re-used old Pied Piper backing tracks some months or even years after they had been recorded. It was first issued as a vocal I Miss My Baby by Rose Batiste on Revilot but that was actually a remake, we found the original version titled This Heart Is Lonely among Shelly Haims tapes and issued it on the Pied Piper Kent CD. We will be mixing the instrumental of what became the bari track by fair or foul means for Volume 2. It was Mike Terry on the baritone sax.

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Thanks for all the replies guys.It seams that the consensus is that its the first legit release of the unissued track straight from the tapes.Thanks Robb thats good enough for me to give it a play out.I remember it being a big tune throughout the 90s but you dont hear it much these days.

Social source share

Some of  masters were rescued if I remember rightly from the ashes after the studio was burnt down. Others were out at the mastering studio luckily.  It is all in the sleeve notes of the Goldmine CDs the unissued Detroit were issued on. 

Social source share

Saw him sing to backing tracks a few years ago now at a soul do in Cambridge bit different but had a chat after nice guy - the promotor at the time used to be on here ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!