Northern Soul/ Rare Soul - a discussion

Anton L

:diablo: Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't going to a Northern soul do always been about going out and having fun, dancing to the misic you love, meeting up with the people you know enjoy the same music and going home feeling that you have been to somewhere better than the average Joe in the street.

this would put alot of pressure on a D.J. having to get the floor moving and getting the balance right, of the sounds people enjoy and love, and giving an injection of less known and rare sounds in to their spot, whilst keeping the floor dancing, surely their job is to get you to dance or we could have events without dance floors and put seating in and hand out note books.

i went to an event this weekend where the DJs seemed intent on showing off what rareties they had rather than filling the floor and injecting the odd underplayed or rare sound. What is wrong with these peoople many events have come and gone but never stayed. as no one can handle this amount of obscurity in one hit.

The like of Stafford, Blackburn ( When run by Guy Hennigan) the Hundred Club and of course Bradford got it right playing the much loved sounds mixed with brand new sounds, giving people the chance to absorb and learn to enjoy the newies then making them eager for the next new tune to be played by an individual DJ. this is how our scene has moved forward over the last twenty years.

I am not for a minute suggesting that we should listen to tired Oldies all night but please Mr DJ spare a thought for those who want to sweat their crappy week away at a norhtern soul do with a good atmosphere. When you have been on the soul scene for some time it is as much a treat to hear a great forgotten oldie as it is to hear a brand new dance track.

Just keep dancing.

Edited by soulie64
Social source share

• Replies 64
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i guess some DJ's feel they are on a bit of a mission. I personally get pretty bored if I don't hear at least a few tunes I know.

I'd say its probably quite easy for a DJ to play a set of obscure/rare stuff (providing they own it of course) because, from what I've seen at times on my visits to soul nights, they are sometimes happy with dancefloors containing only a handful of people. More skillful I'd say mixing tracks that fill a floor with tracks that are rare/unknown and keeping the dancefloor full .................... all in my humble opinion of course.

I'd be embarrassed if I was playing and only a handful of people were dancing at apeak time of the evening.

Social source share

i went to an event this weekend where the DJs seemed intent on showing off what rareties they had rather than filling the floor and injecting the odd underplayed or rare sound. What is wrong with these peoople many events have come and gone but never stayed. as no one can handle this amount of obscurity in one hit.

link

Where or What was this event? :unsure:

The promoters or DJ's could then answer any points raised.

Social source share

Personally, I think that the scene will soon become divided into two camps; one will be a retro / Wigan / oldies/ pantomime, type situation where people go to functions that play "established" sounds, whether 60's or 70's etc. People will go out to dance and enjoy themselves and won't give a monkey's if it's played of vinyl or laptop. This is probably where the money will be and consequently what lasts the longer.

The other camp will be for the "collectors" which comprises of a few stamp collectors who have all the rarest, obscurest, sounds that the above don't give a **** about. An evening will consist of wanking over each other collections, with cries off my one-off is rarer than your one-off because it doesn't play!

Social source share

pull a crowd, all at once?!

link

I know i'm always getting slagged off for being elitist, so from a fan of the rare scene, let me put over my view point.

I don't think is about devided camps, we all love our music in different ways, some people are more receptive to hearing obscure sounds than others, I must admit a little familiararity isn't a bad thing, and I also think that some people who have been on the scene for many years wil hav a greater knowledge than someone who asn't.

About 10 years ago the oldies scene was in the doldrums, it wasn't until about 1995 that the big return to the scene happened, prior to that most venues exsited on the few die hard soulies who enjoyed rare soul, where was all the oldies fans then. I beleive that the oldies scene will eventually disapear back up it's own Arse as it did back in the early eighties.......... then it will again be left to us rare soul fans to pick up the pieces again.

No offense intended...........

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

:diablo: Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't going to a  Northern soul do always been about going out and having fun, dancing to the misic you love, meeting up with the people you know enjoy the same music and going home feeling that you have been to somewhere better than the average Joe in the street.

this would put alot of pressure on a D.J. having to get the floor moving and getting the balance right, of the sounds people enjoy and love, and giving an injection of less known and rare sounds in to their spot, whilst keeping the floor dancing, surely their job is to get you to dance or we could have events without dance floors and put seating in and hand out note books.

The like of Stafford, Blackburn ( When run by Guy Hennigan) the Hundred Club and of course Bradford got it right playing the much loved sounds mixed with brand new sounds, giving people the chance to absorb and learn to enjoy the newies then making them eager for the next new tune to be played by an individual DJ. this is how our scene has moved forward over the last twenty years.

I am not for a minute suggesting that we should listen to tired Oldies all night but please Mr DJ spare a thought for those who want to sweat their crappy week away at a norhtern soul do with a good atmosphere. When you have been on the soul scene for some time it is as much a treat to hear a great forgotten oldie as it is to hear a brand new dance track.

There thats my rant, nothing will be done, there will still be Soap box DJ nights but they will all come and go with little consequence and the scene will still find newies with or without them.

Just keep dancing.

link

From your post on Friday or so I suspect that the club that you're talking about was Solid Hit Soul. Granted we were a bit short on atmosphere due to the very limited and disappointing support that we got, but as an opening night it could have been a lot worse. In any event, I'd like to thank all of the people who did turn up, your support was greatly appreciated and I can only hope that the next one is better attended.

I'm a little surpised by your comments about the DJs showing off rareties. Just to make it clear, our music policy was "Rare 60's soul, underplayed, forgotten plus classic floorfillers". I don't think we played anything different. Gene has already posted his set list and I'm sure that Martin and Dave will be doing the same, as will I. People can judge for themselves

I played the last set in there on Saturday. I don't recall playing anything that I thought was utterly obscure, probably the only record that I played that I haven't heard out in a club recently was Rocky Gil and The Bishops, but its known by a lot of people. If I'd wanted to go down the route of playing obscurities I don't think more than 1 or 2 of what I played would have made it into my set. Ultimately I'll confess that I'm a collector that occasionally DJs, but I certainly was not attempting to knock one out over the record box, as Hippo so charmigly puts it (will we see a new abbreviation on dealer's list, WSOL? :graywanker: ). Maybe I'm wrong for the job, and should just get a few mates to bring a box apiece to my gaff and we can sit round and drink beer and play obscurities to our hearts content, I've even got a wooden floor if they want a dance, but no talc allowed.

Dave Rimmer, our guest, DJs up and down the country most weekends, and played a quality set but not one that could be described as showing off what obscurities he has, to be frank I doubt whether Dave would be interested in doing that and he read the limited numbers well.

As for the other DJs, I think they played excellent sounds but didn't go down the route of tired old stompers that you can hear week in, week out at some events :unsure: . We didn't start the club in order to play that sort of sound. Regarding your comment about the 100 Club, I thought you said that you wouldn't be going to anything promoted by Ady again as some bloke who Ady has probably never laid eyes on before had a fight at Crossfire and someone else spilt some beer on the dancefloor (both incidents being due to some clueless twats).

I'd be interested in hearing what you think would have made a good ten records for you to enjoy, as I'm not quite sure where you're coming from on this, but of course I could have got it wrong, I thought the crowd was relatively knowledgable and contained people that I see at the other clubs that I go to, with similar music policies.

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

I know i'm always getting slagged off for being elitist, so from a fan of the rare scene, let me put over my view point.

I don't think is about devided camps, we all love our music in different ways, some people are more receptive to hearing obscure sounds than others, I must admit a little familiararity isn't a bad thing, and I also think that some people who have been on the scene for many years wil hav a greater knowledge than someone who asn't.

About 10 years ago the oldies scene was in the doldrums, it wasn't until about 1995 that the big return to the scene happened, prior to that most venues exsited on the few die hard soulies who enjoyed rare soul, where was all the oldies fans then.  I beleive that the oldies scene will eventually disapear back up it's own Arse as it did back in the early eighties.......... then it will again be left to us rare soul fans to pick up the pieces again.

No offense intended...........

link

Knocking people that did not, could not, or afford to go to northern events 10 years ago is not on. :unsure: Most of us left the scene 20 years or so ago not just with the death off wigan, some off us can rember the crap records that were being pushed at us by the top DJs Mickey Mouse ,James Coit, and more cover ups then a goverment enquirey. Not to keep a rare record only known to the dj but because it was a pop record that you could pick up anywhere if you new it. In those far off days the oldies scene was the elitest scene,and those off us that where forwad thinking and attendig venues that played what is now termed crossover were abused an even beaten up. I agree with the comments on the die hards keeping the scene going and god bless them for that. But I for one was one of those that came back & I wanted to hear good oldies again 10 years later I now hunt out sounds i havent heard but still like to hear good quality oldies I do not enjoy dancing on a empty dance floor If you dont mix the music styles and eras how are you going to keep all the returnig soul lovers in the scene. it will split into the 2 sections mentiond in an earlier post and that will be the death of northern soul this is what happend in the 80s,Oldies room or Funk room and never the twain shall meet. blush.gif

PS Cleethorpes has never died and is still going Cleethorpes has allways played old & new together wink.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

more cover ups then a goverment enquirey.

link

blush.gifwink.gif

I went to a Northern Soul night at Saracens in Cheltenham on Friday nigt.

95% oldies, 95% realy rare, really forkin expensive tunes.

I Had a cake but its eaten :unsure:

Social source share

:diablo: Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't going to a  Northern soul do always been about going out and having fun, dancing to the misic you love, meeting up with the people you know enjoy the same music and going home feeling that you have been to somewhere better than the average Joe in the street.

There thats my rant, nothing will be done, there will still be Soap box DJ nights but they will all come and go with little consequence and the scene will still find newies with or without them.

Just keep dancing.

link

Like Stuart I'm assuming you were at Vivos on Saturday, if not I've added 2 and 2 and got 5 so I apologise.

I was also there on Saturday and have to say I thought, given the lack of attendance it was a very good night. I actually thought that the all the DJ's went out of their way to try and get the dancefloor going, but most people seemed happy nattering away to their mates. Musically it didn't strike me as being particuarly chin stroking and having had a squint at Gene's playlist I reckon I know 2/3rds of them and I'm really not that knowledgeable (or that much of a toggle chaser).

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Stu, would you like to borrow my copy of out on the floor for your next do?  blush.gif

link

Is it an original? If so yes please, I still only have the reissue. Mind you, it does have a picture sleeve. :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Like Stuart I'm assuming you were at Vivos on Saturday, if not I've added 2 and 2 and got 5 so I apologise.

...and I'm really not that knowledgeable (or that much of a toggle chaser).

link

Its three isn't it? And don't be such a fibber, you know loads.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

How much of it was stale?

link

It was

Sweeter than the day before

I was expecting a few mmore unknownd from Des Parker and Rob Thomas. But it was an enjoyable night.

Bets bit for me was getting nods from people I used to see regularly 15 years ago, and thinking, 'do I look as puzzled as them?' You know when you know someones face, and cant put a name? That happened about 10 times friday night. And being the shy and retiring type, I was too embarressed to ask :unsure:

Social source share

Just keep dancing.

link

Well Anton, I noticed you were the first one there and the last one to leave! You obviously enjoyed yourself, and that was reflected by the time you spent on the dance floor, so your whinge seems pretty illogical and unfounded (ie, complete bollox) IMHO. Tell me, what stops you from mentioning the nite (by name) that you came to?

Just a bit of advice - firstly, get your facts straight before you go into another such rant. Secondly, stop being so hypocritical - doesn't suit you.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I guess he wan't going to come back anyway, but thats a certainty now....

link

My playlist for the first hour is copied below (not in order). As previously set out, our music policy was clearly stated and I an quite satisfied that we delivered what we promised. Plenty of neglected oldies, plenty of well known classics and a few lesser knowns (though nothing stunningly obscure by a LONG shot!)

8pm- 9am

Flirtations- Stronger than her love (festival)

Syl Johnson- Do you know what love is (Special Agent)

Lee Bates - Why don't you write (Instant)

Jimmy Castor - It's OK (Jet Set)

Larry Santos- You got me where you want me (Evolution)

Jimmy Bee - If it wasn't for love (20th Century)

Honey and the bees - Why do you always hurt the one you love (Artic)

Gracie Darnell - The bad guys (Ruth)

Sisters Three - You can forget it (Early Bird)

Deadbeats - No second chance (Strata)

Athens Rogues - She could love me (Stop)

Johnny Robinson - Gone but not forgotten (Okeh)

Marquee Review- what good tomorrow (Pacific Revue)

Duke and Leonard - Just do the best you can (Stomp Town)

Explosive Dynamiks- Whole lotta loving (Lemco)

John Andrews - It's just love (UK Parlphone)

Diane Newby - What you're putting me through (Kapp)

Cookie Scott - I've got news (Mirasound acetate)

Ruby Johnson - Keep on keeping on (Volt)

Margie Hendrix- One room paradise (Mercury)

Sandpipers- Lonely too long (Giant)

The Stingers _ I refuse to be lonely (Stax)

Karmello Brooks- Tell me baby (Milestone)

Roosevelt matthews - You got me digging you (King)

Bob and Fred- I'll be on my way (Big Mack)

We did have some problems with the venue on the night, and with the equipment. The one thing that I am quite certain we got right was the music. To suggest that the music played was super elitist is quite frankly a load of :graywanker: We promised Rare 60's soul, neglected, forgotten plus classic floorfillers. And that's what we played IMO.

As Stuart has already said, we are grateful to those of you who attended, and to Dave Rimmer who made a long journey and delivered a top spot, as Dave always does. Vivos is a deceptively big club and when people disappear into their seats in the booths, it isn't helpful in terms of generating atmosphere - that's not a complaint, it's just a fact reflecting the layout of the venue.

We will be back on December 11th with Arthur Fenn in the guest spot. We hope to have sorted out some of the technical problems and hope that we can get a better turnout and deliver a better night for everyone.

Martin

Social source share

Well Anton, I noticed you were the first one there and the last one to leave!  You obviously enjoyed yourself, so your whinge seems pretty illogical and unfounded (ie, complete bollox) IMHO.

Just a bit of advice - firstly, get your facts straight before you go into another mindless rant.  Secondly, stop being so hypocritical and holier than thou - doesn't suit you.

link

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

laugh.gif   laugh.gif

I went to a Northern Soul night at Saracens in Cheltenham on Friday nigt.

95% oldies, 95% realy rare, really forkin expensive tunes.

I Had a cake but its eaten :unsure:

link

So was i good to meet up again Mikey wink.gif I must admit that i really enjoyed the music on Friday at the Sarries, you will always hear decent Rare Oldies anyway but having Rob Thomas and des Parker on as guests really worked IMO OK at one point Rob went off on one as he does every now and again but at no point did the dancefloor get below 20-25 dancers, even when they must have been dancing to records that they didn't know. That for me is one of the big differences between back in the olden days and now, it is very rare to find that people are willing to dance to records that they don't know, just for the joy of dancing, a change for the worse IMVFHO yes.gif

How much of it was stale?

link

Not very much at all Stuart, obviously there has to be a fair amount of out and out standards played and there was but overall a really good balance was found. All IMVFHO again blink.gif:shhh:

Social source share

PMSL Pete!!!

BTW, haven't had a list by Email from you for ages.  Let me know if you don't have my home addy - ta.

link

I've obviously not changed it Gene sorry, I've had a list out 6 weeks on the trot now, not bad either even if I say so myself....I'm going to delete the above posting now you've had a laugh at it by the way :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Not very much at all Stuart, obviously there has to be a fair amount of out and out standards played and there was but overall a really good balance was found. All IMVFHO again  yes.gif   :unsure:

link

Sound slike a good night then, nothing wrong with standards, its the hackneyed and the flogged that do my head in.

Social source share

That David Nixon playlist in full...

Disappear - The Mob

Sweet magic - Servicemen

Silent treatment - Arin Legerdemain

Spellbinders

anything on Black Magic / Wand

*Gives up. Goes to pub*

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Yeah  Stuart, were you wearing one of your cheap suits on Saturday??? :unsure:

link

Bloody cheek! Gold lame is very expensive. I just need a gorgeous assistant.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Still no volunteers for a gorgeous assistant.  Mikey, if you shave your legs how would they look in fishnets?

link

Legs are fine. Its finding a nice bra for my man boobs.

:unsure:

Social source share

My playlist for the first hour is copied below (not in order). As previously set out, our music policy was clearly stated and I an quite satisfied that we delivered what we promised. Plenty of neglected oldies, plenty of well known classics and a few lesser knowns (though nothing stunningly obscure by a LONG shot!)

8pm- 9am

Jimmy Castor - It's OK (Jet Set)

Honey and the bees - Why do you always hurt the one you love (Artic)

Gracie Darnell - The bad guys (Ruth)

Sisters Three - You can forget it (Early Bird)

Marquee Review- what good tomorrow (Pacific Revue)

Explosive Dynamiks- Whole lotta loving (Lemco)

John Andrews - It's just love (UK Parlphone)

Diane Newby - What you're putting me through (Kapp)

Cookie Scott - I've got news (Mirasound acetate)

Ruby Johnson - Keep on keeping on (Volt)

If this was the standard and type of Soul music played, then i had better get on my travels again, sounds like a banging playlist, think the whole post shows the different tastes of all the UK soul fans....very interesting thread.

Social source share

link

I'm absolutely staggered by the statement above. I deliberately played a set of more well known tunes to try and get the dancefloor moving a bit. I accept there are a few rarities in there, but hasn't that always been what's behind the name 'Rare Soul' !

Perhaps Soulie64 would care to enlighten me as to which of these tunes he doesn't know ? Do you go out a lot ?

This is what I played between midnight and 1 am.

Joe Tex - I Wanna Be Free - Dial

King Curtis - Soul Pattin' Part 2 - Atco

Mack Rice - Baby I'm Coming Home - Lupine

Big Daddy Rogers - I'm A Big Man - Midas

Syng McGowan - That's What I Want - Hope

Mickie Champion - What Good Am I - Musette

Joanne Courcy - I Got The Power - Twirl

Volcanoes - The Laws Of Love - Arctic

Van Dykes - Save My Love For A Rainy Day - Mala

Jimmy Washburn - Into Your Heart - Edgewood Acetate

Enchantments - I'm In Love With Your Daughter - Faro

Vondells - Hey Girl - Airtown

Caressors - I Can't Stay Away Ru-Jac

Brooks Brothers - Looking For A Woman - Tay

Dee Dee Sharp - Deep Dark Secret - Cameo

Patience Valentine - If You Don't Come - SAR

Delcos - Arabia - Ebony

Five Royals - Catch That Teardrop - Home Of The Blues

Diplomats - Cards On The Table - Arock

T J Williams - Baby I Need You - Josie

Sam Fletcher - I'd Think It Over

Mill Evans - Why Why Why - King

Jimmy Wallace - I'll Be Back - Alpha

Fantastic 4 - Can't Stop Looking For My Baby - Tic-Tic

Johnnie Mae Matthews - I Have No Choice - Big Hit

In fact there were only two tunes that people came and asked about: Jimmy washburn, and T J Williams.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

After reading the start of this thread I was about to praise the event at Vivos on Saturday for having the perfect mix and recommend that the poster got himself/herself along to that.

Absolutely amazed that anyone thought otherwise. Genuinely.

We were chatting about it on the night saying it's often a difficult place for Djs, I presume because the dance floor is so 'open' but they all did a great job in my opinion and the opinion of those with me. Not only that but the aircon meant I could keep my suit and tie on all night - Heaven!

I don't often give praise, and I'm certainly not a sycophant where DJs are concerned, but if you didn't enjoy that I'm not sure you'd enjoy anything.

There really wasn't a dodgy set, and it's not often you can say that. One man's meat etc...

Can't wait for the next one.

Social source share

I purposely did not mention the name of the event on Saturday as the majority of the night was great and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, Dave Rimmer played a great spot and there were many other jems played by other people if the night was as bad as that I would have left but my point was general, as a few times during the night there were the ineviatable obscure points, whether the records are known or not they can still be classed as obscure. If the critisim can not be taken then fine, but there was a time when DJs played out played oldies constantly untill some one said something. at some point a happy medium was reached, and the scene is still going, but there you go, I apoligise if you take such offence,

Stuart,

As for the reason for me not attending a Crossfire event again. The people who decided to beat the hell out of a girl on the dance floor, because she reqested they not dance on the floor with full pints of beer, are apparently regulars ( but only at london dos, and are not particularly in to the scene) why would I want to go to more events with such people.

The other point, I would never name a top ten any more as it is constantly changing with the new records I hear.

It was Gene That once told me that a DJs spot should be like a wave going up in tempo and then lowering again for the more mellow sounds and then start again this seemed to make perfect sense to me and would make the floor happy and he still does this now

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

But surely if the DJ's didn't slip in the odd record or two that were a little more obscure or new to some/most of the punters the scene would stagnate to such a point where all that was played would be played out oldies??

Trouty (Just a thought)

Free your mind and your ass will follow (The kingdom of heaven is within)

Social source share

8pm- 9am

to me all of these are well known and i am one of the ones who dissapeared for 12 years i am also one of the ones who goes to most soul nights to hear something new of have not heard for a long time this was why i started in the first place.

it seems to be a case to me of always read the instructions first as the flyers seldom lie if it says rare 60's 70's and northern then that is what you will get.

as someone who runs a small night that is a rare underplayed 60's and 70's and some 80's night if someone does not enjoy it i would rather they told you than rant about it to the world without giving the promoter a chance to put his point of view.

and yes i do also attend oldies nights but my favourite nights are still the rare nights be it northern or crossover or rare 70's

Marquee Review- what good tomorrow (Pacific Revue) this is an awesome record especially because i have a copy, have been playing it for about a year.

in case you are wondering i run the greatstone hotel stretford manchester with my friend tony and we average about 70 through the door.

long live rare soul.

mark

Social source share

Marquee Review- what good tomorrow (Pacific Revue)  this is an awesome record especially because i have a copy, have been playing it for about a year.

link

I bought this the other day, blind - how much should I ask for it and does anyone want it? Books at £400 in you know what but thats out the window

Social source share

Probabley the best thing would be to ban the words OLDIES and NEWIES and just say good or bad.

But then you're stuck with the old saying "every ones music is the best in the world"

link

Nah, you couldn't advertise a night as playing 'the best of bad soul...' :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!