News: Soul Map Upgraded - New Features and Improvements

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm a Gypsy.  I divide my year (every year) in five locations:  The Netherlands (4 locations: Oude Niedorp, Leidschendam, Veldhoven, Nijmegen), Denmark (Allerød), Germany (Munich), USA (Los Angeles), Canada (Winnipeg).  I'm never more than 3-4 months in any one place.  So, I can't be represented by your map. But, then, I rarely participate in any events these days.  So, maybe it doesn't matter.

Social source share

The map has a  problem......

I checked out my home state, Ohio, in the US, and was surprised to see that the map shows 12 members here from the modest sized city of Mansfield, OH about 70 miles SW of Cleveland. Checking their profiles, I see that they were not from Mansfield in Ohio but Mansfield in England! Which makes a lot more sense....

So, something in the program needs to be added to distinguish countries/states/counties, etc. Just about every state in the US has a city named Springfield.....

Edited by George G
Social source share

3 hours ago, George G said:

The map has a  problem......

I checked out my home state, Ohio, in the US, and was surprised to see that the map shows 12 members here from the modest sized city of Mansfield, OH about 70 miles SW of Cleveland. Checking their profiles, I see that they were not from Mansfield in Ohio but Mansfield in England! Which makes a lot more sense....

So, something in the program needs to be added to distinguish countries/states/counties, etc. Just about every state in the US has a city named Springfield.....

yep the automatic import of profile locations has thrown a fair few odd things up like that where given single locations (such as town names)  goto a different country than you would expect

as the profiles were just a simple text entry theres no way the import feature knew what country 

cheshire is another one, and yorkshire also goes to usa , perth is another wtih  australia perth being first in line, then there's odd stuff like 'soulville', 'up north' etc etc that didnt convert well

if people put cheshire, united kingdom, or cheshire, usa then it takes

but as members check and rectify their locations and as am going thtu  the locations myself as  time allows ..

then it should be a ever decreasing thing :thumbsup:

Social source share

3 hours ago, mike said:

yep the automatic import of profile locations has thrown a fair few odd things up like that where given single locations (such as town names)  goto a different country than you would expect

as the profiles were just a simple text entry theres no way the import feature knew what country 

cheshire is another one, and yorkshire also goes to usa , perth is another wtih  australia perth being first in line, then there's odd stuff like 'soulville', 'up north' etc etc that didnt convert well

if people put cheshire, united kingdom, or cheshire, usa then it takes

but as members check and rectify their locations and as am going thtu  the locations myself as  time allows ..

then it should be a ever decreasing thing :thumbsup:

ok have cleaned up a lot of the problems that cropped up with the import of profiles and  town names  

still ongoing so it will help if you do check your own location and if it needs it then give it a quick edit

plus if you do spot any other ones then please let me know 

thanks

-----------------------------------------------

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!