Isley Brothers - That's The Way Love Is

Looking at the "My Love Is Your Love" thread suddenly reminded me of another monstrous Isley Brothers stomper which I've NEVER ever heard out anywhere. Has anyone else heard this played out or did too many people think it was a pale cover of the Marvin Gaye tune?

12440402_10154071738799224_4739079198590948383_o.jpg

• Helpful 2
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

Looking at the "My Love Is Your Love" thread suddenly reminded me of another monstrous Isley Brothers stomper which I've NEVER ever heard out anywhere. Has anyone else heard this played out or did too many people think it was a pale cover of the Marvin Gaye tune?

Hi Ian

Funny how one record leads to another, and how one record, which really gets to you opens your ears to a particular artist(s) voice, who, hitherto that point in time hadn't even featured on your radar. This Isley Brothers thread(s) being the perfect example - well, in my case anyway. If that makes sense.

Funny old world innit. :D

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

5 hours ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

OK, so that's one play. I mean, unless I'm nuts, doesn't this sound like a dead cert?

Ian D :)

Always a good reaction on the dancefloor when played in Oz. Been playing it consistently for over 20 years off the Australian demo  ....

ISLEY BROTHERS 'That's the way..' 60s OZ Tamla 45 Soul

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Another great Norman Whitfield recording but personally i prefer the Temptations version on Puzzle people

Norman also recorded it on Marvin probably at the same session as Grapevine so i would have thought Isleys was the original

Edited by smudger
Social source share

Gladys Knight and the Pips did a great version on their "Feelin' Bluesy" album.

The Isleys version of "That's The Way.." was recorded between August 26 and August 30th, 1966.

Marvin's version was recorded between Nov. 30th, 1968- Dec. 6, 1968.

Edited by the yank
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 21:57, Ian Dewhirst said:

Social source share

you could remedy that frank...............

by playing it out yourself:thumbup:

it's always had the odd play as far as I can remember??

but tracks like this do get neglected/forgotten/passed over for mega-money/mega-rare records !!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 21:10, mark tobin said:

Hi ian.

I used to play this at The North Cheshire in the 90's.

Always packed the floor, as did 'Why when love is gone'. Two great dancers.

Mark Tobin

They were great nights Mark. We came over from Burnley for the first one and came every month for the first year or so.

For some reason I remember you played Oh My Darling as the last record on that first night.

Brian 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!