The Volumes / Magnetics

Condensing the facts on the two groups ... here's the info ... ...

the members of the Magnetics who cut "The Train" in 1962 for Allrite were Bobby Peterson, Sharon Peterson, Tony Johnson (lead singer), Jackie Perkins and Candi Bell.

The members of the Volumes / Magnetics who cut "Lady In Green" for Bonnie were Gerald Mathis (lead singer), Bobby Peterson, Elijah Davis, Ernest Newsome & William 'Pete' Crawford.

Finally the members of the Volumes were came over to sing at Prestatyn in 2009 were Eddie Union (ex 1960's Volume), Elijah Davis (ex 1960's Volume & 'Bonnie 'Magnetic), William (Pete) Crawford (ex 1960's Volume & 'Bonnie' Magnetic) and Bobby Peterson (ex 1960's Volume & 'Allrite' + 'Bonnie' 'Magnetic).

After his spell in the group, Tony Johnson (ex Allrite Magnetic) teamed with Tyrone Pickens as the duo Tony & Tyrone.

Ex 1960's Volume members Ernest Newsome and Gerald Mathis passed away prior to 2009 when the group came to the UK. Another of the Volume's ex lead singers Jimmy Burger had by 2000 become a minister and was no longer prepared to go back to performing secular music.

Thus the 4 guys that played Prestatyn in 2009 included the only 3 surviving members of the group that cut "Lady In Green".

All the above facts are as told to me by Elijah Davis, William (Pete) Crawford, Bobby Peterson and Eddie Union (though Eddie had no knowledge at all of the groups Magnetics period as he wasn't involved with the other guys at all during those times).

Further info on Tony Johnson regarding his time as half of the duo Tony & Tyrone can be found on the recent thread about them.

Here's a club flyer for a gig they did with Erma Franklin in Baltimore in August 1965 ....

BaltClubAug65.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...
On 20/05/2016 at 00:58, Roburt said:

Condensing the facts on the two groups ... here's the info ... ...

the members of the Magnetics who cut "The Train" in 1962 for Allrite were Bobby Peterson, Sharon Peterson, Tony Johnson (lead singer), Jackie Perkins and Candi Bell.

The members of the Volumes / Magnetics who cut "Lady In Green" for Bonnie were Gerald Mathis (lead singer), Bobby Peterson, Elijah Davis, Ernest Newsome & William 'Pete' Crawford.

Finally the members of the Volumes were came over to sing at Prestatyn in 2009 were Eddie Union (ex 1960's Volume), Elijah Davis (ex 1960's Volume & 'Bonnie 'Magnetic), William (Pete) Crawford (ex 1960's Volume & 'Bonnie' Magnetic) and Bobby Peterson (ex 1960's Volume & 'Allrite' + 'Bonnie' 'Magnetic).

After his spell in the group, Tony Johnson (ex Allrite Magnetic) teamed with Tyrone Pickens as the duo Tony & Tyrone.

Ex 1960's Volume members Ernest Newsome and Gerald Mathis passed away prior to 2009 when the group came to the UK. Another of the Volume's ex lead singers Jimmy Burger had by 2000 become a minister and was no longer prepared to go back to performing secular music.

Thus the 4 guys that played Prestatyn in 2009 included the only 3 surviving members of the group that cut "Lady In Green".

All the above facts are as told to me by Elijah Davis, William (Pete) Crawford, Bobby Peterson and Eddie Union (though Eddie had no knowledge at all of the groups Magnetics period as he wasn't involved with the other guys at all during those times).

Further info on Tony Johnson regarding his time as half of the duo Tony & Tyrone can be found on the recent thread about them.

Here's a club flyer for a gig they did with Erma Franklin in Baltimore in August 1965 ....

BaltClubAug65.jpg

I was hunting around about the label and found this ?

https://www.globaldogproductions.info/b/bonnie.html

Social source share

Andrew Tats Taylor and myself met Tony Johnson through B LaVette having been told he was a former member and lead singer of the Magnetics at a bar one night. He pissed on Tats shoe in the rest room, by accident. He was a lovely man and we spent time with him (some may of seen the footage we took of him singing in his car (real tear jerker stuff) and as a thankyou we took his sister out (she was at college in the UK) for the day on our return.

As for Gerald Mathis I spoke to him in 1994 with John Kingham when in Detroit and was going to meet up with him but for some reason it didn't happen, I kick myself for that because he died a few years later. He was my favourite lead having sang "Same Old Feeling" too.

To add a little bit about Robert being shot a couple of years after being in Prestatyn they have since caught the bastard that did it and it turns out shooting Robert wasn't the only bad thing he had done, he is now in jail, I hope you rot in there 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!