Re-issues due to the scene

Roughly when did records in-demand on the Northern Soul scene start to get re-issued? I'm just wondering this as another forum suggested that 'The Carrolls -'Surrender Your love' which got a re-issue by Polydor in 1971 was due to demand on the Northern Soul scene but I would have thought this was too early for that? 

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Since the Sixties record companies have responded to public demand ; requests to the many record shops ,and then to the  company reps . ,then a record could be easily repressed. The carrrolls where very popular on 70s TV and cabaret circuit hence " we're in this thing together" from 69 was repressed in 73 on CBS, similarly' " Boogaloo Party"' "Harlem Shuffle" seemed to be readily aavailable. To say that this action was down to specific demand from ,_'" Northerners would be speculative. Lol Johnny

Social source share

Loads of Mojo & Contempo-Raries + lots of JayBoy & UA Midnight Hour 45's were put out to meet demand from the NS scene crowd. 

Some Stateside, Bell & Tamla Motown singles (+ the odd London label thing) stayed on the books for month after month, again due to steady buying by NS'ers . I know that doesn't really count as a 're-issue' but in effect they were as every other 45 that had escaped on those labels at the same time had long been deleted. Those 'non-deletions' started in the 60's.

Of course Pye Disco Demand, Grapevine & the like (which came later) also catered almost exclusively for the NS scene but most of that stuff was escaping in the UK for the 1st time.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The reissues of club soul records started in a big way in 1968 with the likes of SOS/Headline News, Nothing Can Stop Me and lots of motown and continued each year thereafter, with in demand records being issued as the Northern scene developed. So I suppose the answer to the original question depends on what you define as the start of the NS scene.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sue reissued a few records in the late 60s . The Fascinations -Girls Are Out To Get You had its initial Stateside release in Feb 67 , then Sue in June 68 followed by Mojo June 71. Obviously the Mojo issue was due to NS demand but maybe Sue just thought the song was still the type of record selling well in 68 and could do OK north and south. Phil Upchurch's You Can't Sit Down  also came out on Sue in 66 after it's initial UA issue so again it was a club classic rather than NS demand.

I'd go with Alan B and Roburt and say late 68 as Blue and Soul reviews of Edwin Starr , Tony Clarke, Dobie Gray etc mentioned that the records were put out due to demand from the North.

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's a very good question. Already by 1969 UK record companies were being forced to re-issue soul records. Think of The Spellbinders on Direction, Doris Troy on Toast, those later TMG releases, Fascinations, Gene Chandler and all those President releases, there's a big list. You can trace the beginnings of the UK (Northern) scene emerging at about that time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 21 mai 2016 at 20:58, NCFC said:

Just don't get why anybody buys reissues. Rather go without. 

Just my 2 cents but there's plenty of tunes I would probably never have on OG & I can live with that, still I would like to be able to just listen to a few of them at home, on my system, especially if properly reissued, legit and with good sound quality. 

Take the "You Didn't Say a Word" the London issue is not bad & even if it's probably on a shit load of comps, cds, tapes you name it...

I'd rather have it on a loud 45,

I love that track so much I kind of needed it here, just for my personnal pleasure.

Social source share

I think the earliest reissue for the scene, as it was then, to chart was Gene Chandler - Nothing Can Stop Me which Soul City released on 5/4/68 - two months before the Fascinations on Sue which I think is the other contender for earliest. 

Edited by AlanB
Social source share

5 minutes ago, AlanB said:

I think the earliest reissue for the scene, as it was then, to chart was Gene Chandler - Nothing Can Stop Me which Soul City released on 5/4/68 - two months before the Fascinations on Sue which I think is the other contender for earliest. 

This was mostly done at the request of soul fans (not called that at the time). I remember being in a record shop (remember them ?) in about 1969 together with shop assistant, her record catalogue and a sales rep seeing what could still be bought, mostly from Polydor and President.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!