Southampton soul or not ??

I've recently been asked to run a northern gig in this area as being a.mere northerner I ain't got a clue as how the scene stands down there but a 17th century spa hotel with 55 rooms and can hold 500 but realistically about 320 with space to manoeuvre I'm looking at taking it on with some jocks up here and some from the local area Sunday alldayer or weekender does the scene thrive or is miniscule in this area as I've heard indifferent voices on this please your input would be great regards to all Steve 

Social source share

Southampton has a good few soulies but nowhere near enough to fill a venue that size maybe a 100 at best nowadays depending on music policy and wether it's played on original vinyl and not them shitty fooking bootlegs.  the odd few that may travel from different areas but and I repeat but you will need to play the same old same old which has been battered to death down here to have any chance of getting 100 through yours doors.  Local promoters from my experience on living in Southampton last 8 years will probably clash with you on purpose as they wont want you to tread on their toes.  Best of luck as the soul scene locally is dead on its arse tbh except for the odd all dayer and the odd soul night here and there.  Plenty of djs around down here but to be honest not very good but a few with quality collections and you will get inundated with requests for dj spots and no doubt get offered dj spots in return so a few might turn up at first but won't if not offered a DJ spot or once they get a DJ spot won't return until offered another one lol.  

Considering we have Portsmouth. Bournemouth, Salisbury, Winchester etc etc all within an hours drive you very rarely see any travelling soulies supporting events from all these areas I know I have attended many in all these areas and most stick to their local events.  

Find a little venue maybe Holds 100 and go from there it will help you get to know the local soulies but don't hold your breath anyone will turn up in numbers.   

All the best

Bearsy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

By the look of things, I think the guy is from Manchester, I may be wrong, so why put a promotion on in Southampton ???.

Agree with Bearsy, with a couple of exceptions, the scene is 100% handbag....& they bite !!!

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Would have liked to have read your deleted post Russ.

Although I am from the Midlands, I have attended the majority of soul nites, all dayers and nighters all across the South Coast in Bournemouth, Poole, Southampton, Portsmouth, Weymouth, Yeovil, Torquay, Weston Super Mare, Bristol, Brighton, Farnborough, Isle Of Wight etc and South London.

From my experience I pretty much agree with Paul Bear.

1. Chances of filing a 320 capacity venue in Southampton are virtually nil.

2. The majority crowd is main stream Oldies.

3. There are very very few into the nighter scene. Most attend the 8 till 2 soul nites.

4. Promoters seldom work together and will clash.

5. Imo, any second room will need to focus on Modern. There is a slieght feel for these sounds that could be expanded.

6. Rare and Underplayed crowd numbers about 35.

7. Not many Travel more than an hour, many half hour.

8. You would need to attract a mix of Soulies, Mods and more casual listeners.

9. Many of the top djs in the area get more spots out of the area. You would probably need to use a number of the current venue djs to try and draw in their crowd.  

10. Attendees in the South tend to be very loyal just to their specific events. I have seen many having a great time at a nite, but see them nowhere else. 

So I think it would be a massive challenge. If you got the venue for free, djs for free and ran it as close to zero cost, then you could try a couple to test the water.

Alfie Linney runs the biggest dayers and nighters in the area and I would hope he will comment.

Social source share

Indifferent posts yes from Manchester but this is our sister hotel (total of 12 over the country) I was asked by our md to try and run this they have a supremes tribute night on and tickets have done well in sales but that is another matter I feel a bit disgruntled with one reply so if Richard,kev,Chris ,Neil put on an event in your area you wouldn't go?? I am only putting feelers out but if this is the case forget I asked for opinions rmd good opinions thanks for your input we would only play ovo and have room to bend a 2nd room in too, djs from here and there to keep part of it in that particular area and as you stated the  venue is free djs would be accommodated accordingly 

Social source share

Stevie what would the music policy be ?  What Djs would you be using do we know any of them ?  

A supremes tribute night I'm kind of baffled why that has any bearing on a northern Soul night.  Will it be a soul/Motown night or a Northern Soul night ?

sorry if your a bit disgruntled by any replies but if you want to know the truth you have been answered honestly by people that don't promote or have any connection to any kind of promotions.  

Btw who are Richard, Kev, Chris and Neil should we know them lol.  

Bearsy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

47 minutes ago, steviehay said:

Indifferent posts yes from Manchester but this is our sister hotel (total of 12 over the country) I was asked by our md to try and run this they have a supremes tribute night on and tickets have done well in sales but that is another matter I feel a bit disgruntled with one reply so if Richard,kev,Chris ,Neil put on an event in your area you wouldn't go?? I am only putting feelers out but if this is the case forget I asked for opinions rmd good opinions thanks for your input we would only play ovo and have room to bend a 2nd room in too, djs from here and there to keep part of it in that particular area and as you stated the  venue is free djs would be accommodated accordingly

Hi Steve, apologies if you are disgruntled with my honest reply, but rest assured it would have been unprintable if the others you mention had been invovlved & bar one, no I would deffo not attend, thats no reflection on you though. 

Alfie Linney runs Southampton Soul Club, he knows the local scene & has run some of the largest & most successful events in the area....he is a very nice unassuming bloke, & IMHO it would be a good move to get him involved, he would be able to give you an honest & unbiased opinion.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

1 hour ago, alfie00soul said:

Hi Guys

hope all is well with you lovely ppl

As a promoter on the south coast I will be totally honest with you all..

i agree with Bearsy & Kev Higham on most about the scene down here on the south coast...

i personally have found that as each year goes by it has got harder and harder to put on an event.. One of the reasons why I cancelled this year Dayer is because so many events have started up in the last 12 months and most (not all) don't give a monkeys uncle if they clash.. Bloody Shame really ... There are some fantastic record collections and first class DJs down here that don't get a look in.. Again a bloody shame... 

The Southampton Soul Clib All- Dayer was an Annual event and around 75% of the Soulies that supported it travelled from around the country... Another annual event I do is New Years Eve and again most of the ppl that attend traveled.. 

Going back to the Dayer when Ruth & I  started it there wasn't anything in like it within 150 miles.. This year alone there is a dayer 20 miles away so that gives you an idea of what the soul scene is like nowadays.. 

I used to ask quality DJs from up & down the country to come along like Sean Chapman/Ted Massey/Nige Brown plus local quality DJs with first class collections and knowledge .. To name a few Dave Abbott/Tim Smithers/Beasy plus many more ..

ive also flown in Marc Forest from Germany to Guest DJ for us..

If your planning on putting on an event Steve then I wish you all the very best with it.. And any help needed I would gladly give as I'm always up for a new challenge ...

Anyway that my view 

regards

Alfie

Social source share

Guest Matt Male
1 hour ago, steviehay said:

If you are just trying to fill a function room in one of your hotels for your managing director, why worry about playing OVO, or having named DJs, etc... Surely if it's just about making money for the hotel you could put on a Motown handbaggers night and play CDs? You'll make money and it won't bother the local scene.

Social source share

Alfie thanks as I HAVE tried to state I'm not invading,raping or pillaging  this area it was an idea my md came up with because of the involvement i have here in the mere north west so your involvement would be a grateful asset to or Derek as for someone not turning up before we even start is beyond me but each to his/her own my number is on here so thank you for you kind and honest imput your end if involved would be to include ovo djs from your area cheers stevie 

Social source share

Hey Stevie, what I actually said was, that if the other promoters that you mention (bar one), were doing it, I would not attend....

You can actually refer to me by name by the way, you asked for opinions, Im giving you an honest one, something you might not get from everyone who has messaged you privately.

Russ

Social source share

1 minute ago, steviehay said:

Not gonna bother trying to put some soul into this area as a money raking scene we in the north mostly do it for nowt end of thank you every one for your comments thread over

Trust me Stevie, if you have ever promoted on the South Coast you would know it is done for the pure love of the music, no money in any 'authentic' scene down here....you asked for advise etc & you got it....if thats not what you wanted to hear then Im sorry, but once you've thought it over a bit, Alfie, as I said earlier runs Southampton Soul Club, he's a good man & a great promoter.

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Give it a Miss.it will only make you ill, you would have to use Einsteins  theory of relativity and quantum physics to even dent NS scene, Then you have to Study for five years, practise for five years then it would have evolved either backwards ,Forward or Sideways so you would be back to square one because it's a way of life complicated but at the same time simple for those who know.

Stick to tribute bands in your hotels and I don't mean that in a disrespectful way

Good Luck Best Wishes

Mick L

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've deejayed in various places history does not come into this tribute bands has nothing to do with this either I asked a simple question is Southampton deprived of soul or not obviously promotional attributes are in fold I asked is there nothing on or something on so end of thread some great inputs but all taken in the wrong text I will survive happily in the north promoting my own gigs I stress my md only asked is there a gap !!!!

Social source share

23 hours ago, Russ Vickers said:

Trust me Stevie, if you have ever promoted on the South Coast you would know it is done for the pure love of the music, no money in any 'authentic' scene down here....you asked for advise etc & you got it....if thats not what you wanted to hear then Im sorry, but once you've thought it over a bit, Alfie, as I said earlier runs Southampton Soul Club, he's a good man & a great promoter.

Russ

I did it for 8 years at Bournemouth Uni and believe me for a room that held 100 we found it hard pushed at times to even half fill it and we had some great guests on over those years and our only policy was OVO. I left it to the dj's what they played. The locals weren't really interested because they thought we were a rare soul night, which we weren't and apart from a handful who will travel a lot of our visitors were from out of town. I was never in it for the money just the love of the music.

Dave

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Dave Morris said:

I did it for 8 years at Bournemouth Uni and believe me for a room that held 100 we found it hard pushed at times to even half fill it and we had some great guests on over those years and our only policy was OVO. I left it to the dj's what they played. The locals weren't really interested because they thought we were a rare soul night, which we weren't and apart from a handful who will travel a lot of our visitors were from out of town. I was never in it for the money just the love of the music.

Dave

What in the name of all things holy, has being a 'Rare Soul' night got to do with anything....I have no idea why anyone would not want to attend an event advertised as a Rare Soul Night, many of them moldie oldies cost a fortune....but theyre acceptable right ???....its just another excuse for the knobs to twist terminology, theyre frightened to death that if they attended they'd be dicovered for the Walter Mitties that most of em are.....personally anyone that would not attend an event advertised as a Rare Soul Night/Nighter, I wouldnt want in the gaff anyway......OMG give me strength....your night was very good on the nights I attended Dave, you should be very proud of your achievments at the Uni mate & thats got nothing to do with the music policy, I'm just referring to keeping the Walts out lol....hope you are well mate.

Social source share

Cheers Russ..after talking to some locals who did attend they did enjoy the nights but on the whole many of them "THOUGHT" we were a Rare Soul Night which goes to show the mentality down here..one night of my residents was threatened for not playing oldies..when I approached the guy he gave me the same line..I just said well what do you think is on the decks at this moment..he said he didn't know it..Rose Batiste - Hit & Run..priceless.

I'm fine mate thanks.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!