Articles: Young Soul Rebels - Book Review

• Replies 26
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I'm a complete stranger to this scene but after having read his fantastic "Detroit 67" I had to order this book. I'm sure I won't be disapointed as he's a very talented/understandable writer, even for a non English fluent reader like me !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great Review Dave, I'm not a big reader of books but I bought this and enjoyed reading it whilst away last week.

It was written with passion and a great deal of professional journalism.I enjoyed how the events of the time were inter tangled and the same with certain artists histories also.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mrs M

And a heartfelt thank you to Stuart for my mention in the book. I'm very honoured and very humbled. Respect x

Social source share

After giving up on getting the cheaper version decided to splash out to celebrate my first northern record purchase on wed with the book.

finished it yesterday and as someone not from the scene Finally there is an explanation of the schism on the scene that isn't just a description of mecca versus Wigan but a well explained description of oldies upfront etc.

I also found it refreshing that the seventies were truly depicted regarding the randomness of violence that seems to be getting airbrushed from some misty  eyed memories of the era.

I found one typo and the first mention of  one of my favourite books of all time album sulphate.

I have started flicking through it already looking for info to memorise so although I can never agree with the author on the best football team in Scotland I will be enjoying this book for a long time and no one will be getting a borrow..

Geo

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Unlike most on the subject IMO this is a great and accurate read, really well written and also doesn't just stop the story at Wigan.

Really is worth buying. 

Social source share

21 hours ago, Byrney said:

Unlike most on the subject IMO this is a great and accurate read, really well written and also doesn't just stop the story at Wigan.

Really is worth buying. 

Totally agree. Also tells the real story of Wigan along the way...

Social source share

Finished it just half an hour ago. Excellent book, lots of great detail without losing the page-turner feel of a well written piece of literature. It brings people and the music to life; despite the sad personal note at the end of the book, it is an uplifting account of the past 50 years and points towards decades to come.

Although I recognised aspects of myself in the various references to the obsessive nature of our craft, I did manage to resist reading the glossary and index! I was also very pleased to see that it had been very well edited - although I found Detroit '67 interesting to read, it was littered with typos.

Look forward to the next book!

Social source share

Received mine today - well maybe yesterday, I wasn't in the office. My room is quite old and still has an old mantle piece - it's sat on there. A few people have picked it up and sort of mmmmmmmmmmmmm'd at it..................................... :D It's like the black arts. 

Thanks  Dave.

Peter

Social source share

I got this at the weekend and finished it in two days of glorious Irish June sunshine - which in itself is as rare as some of the records described in the book .

Its an excellent read I couldn't put it down , it must be up with the best books I've read on the Northern scene .

Refreshing to read a book that's honest  and doesn't think the world begins and ends in Wigan .

It was nice to read about Cleethorpes , Stafford and the 100 Club and the part they played in the scene as well as a few places I'd never heard of .

Some interesting and witty sidelines like the legend of the mighty Bub or the story of the Japanese collector who donned a forensic suit , gloves and mask before trawling through the records at Soul Bowl or another guy who prayed over the records hoping to make a rare find . 

It also worked well giving a social and political setting to what went on in Britain in the 70's and 80's and how that also shaped the scene . 

Well worth purchasing .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just finished reading the book and I feel kind of low as i wish there was more, its that good ! 

Finishing the book , reflects getting that record you've always wanted ,only to want another one ! (never content )

It is a Great read , it's down to earth from a young persons perspective , who doesn't want to be force fed commercial music and won't accept that there isn't something more out there.

Characters from across the nation being drawn together by something within themselves.

I Totally recommend this book , "A Must Have" for any Soulie.

Good factual cover of the scenes progressive years too.

Welldone Mr. Cosgrove .

"Keep the Faith"

Frank   Webster  ,    Norwich  Backstreet soul club.

Social source share

Just finished this book got it on iBooks 

Fantastic book that captures the feel of what it was like to be part of the "scene" in the 70's

As I left the scene in 1980 only to come back in 2002

It fills in the missing years for me 

Thanks to Stuart and all of the collectors and DJ's that have kept the scene alive and kicking.

Wether it's discovering new gems playing rare sounds or blasting out good old classics long may this true under ground scene survive 

Speedy spikeeee

Social source share

I received the book for Father's Day yesterday which was nice so read it while listening to Stuart on Richard Searling's Radio Stoke show talking about it and selecting songs that are mentioned in the book.  It was a good way to combine reading with appropriate listening.

The Radio Stoke show is available for 30 days to listen to online or download at:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03xfqt1

A full track listing is at the show page.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!