East Anglian Soul Club City Club Peterborough

sjay

:thumbsup::D Im very pleased to report a big buzz on the very first of our monthly promotions(last Friday of each month) the date being Friday 27th October 2006. The venue is a very plush ex gentlemans smoking club that is really impressive ,it boasts 2 rooms 1Classic Northern the other East Anglias only dedicated Crossover and Modern room that will run on a regular monthly basis,Northern room residents are Martin Stanford,Marcus reid and Mick Cooper this months guests are Ian Gee and Paddy Grady. The Modern Room residents are Steve Jay and Kev Laws with this months special guest East Anglian Legend Andy Davies.The event runs from 7.30 til 2a.m. admission just £5 .As myself and Kev have the job of running the Modern side of things we just want to be sure that everyone is aware of this exciting new project and trust that we can rely on your support,when is the last time Andy Davies played locally probably Frames!!! So please pass the word you can contact me on (0795 6677228) or check out the website www.playsforplaytime.org and click on the East Anglian Soul Club link.See ya there!!!!
  • Replies 122
  • Views 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest gibber

:thumbsup::D Im very pleased to report a big buzz on the very first of our monthly promotions(last Friday of each month) the date being Friday 27th October 2006. The venue is a very plush ex gentlemans smoking club that is really impressive ,it boasts 2 rooms 1Classic Northern the other East Anglias only dedicated Crossover and Modern room that will run on a regular monthly basis,Northern room residents are Martin Stanford,Marcus reid and Mick Cooper this months guests are Ian Gee and Paddy Grady. The Modern Room residents are Steve Jay and Kev Laws with this months special guest East Anglian Legend Andy Davies.The event runs from 7.30 til 2a.m. admission just £5 .As myself and Kev have the job of running the Modern side of things we just want to be sure that everyone is aware of this exciting new project and trust that we can rely on your support,when is the last time Andy Davies played locally probably Frames!!! So please pass the word you can contact me on (0795 6677228) or check out the website www.playsforplaytime.org and click on the East Anglian Soul Club link.See ya there!!!!

Looks good , is Ken Cox back on the scene? Got some great East Anglian soul Club memories :D .

Great another venue every last friday of the month with in half an hour of wellingboroughs We Got Soul, come on promoters checks dates no wonder the scene is diminishing

:D:thumbsup: Im very pleased to report a big buzz on the very first of our monthly promotions(last Friday of each month) the date being Friday 27th October 2006. The venue is a very plush ex gentlemans smoking club that is really impressive ,it boasts 2 rooms 1Classic Northern the other East Anglias only dedicated Crossover and Modern room that will run on a regular monthly basis,Northern room residents are Martin Stanford,Marcus reid and Mick Cooper this months guests are Ian Gee and Paddy Grady. The Modern Room residents are Steve Jay and Kev Laws with this months special guest East Anglian Legend Andy Davies.The event runs from 7.30 til 2a.m. admission just £5 .As myself and Kev have the job of running the Modern side of things we just want to be sure that everyone is aware of this exciting new project and trust that we can rely on your support,when is the last time Andy Davies played locally probably Frames!!! So please pass the word you can contact me on (0795 6677228) or check out the website www.playsforplaytime.org and click on the East Anglian Soul Club link.See ya there!!!!

============

What's the name and addy of the venue please?

Guest gibber

Great another venue every last friday of the month with in half an hour of wellingboroughs We Got Soul, come on promoters checks dates no wonder the scene is diminishing

Stamford on the same night aswell baz plus another 10 on saturday with the Ritz and legends anniversary clashing. :thumbsup:

Guest gibber
Edited by gibber

good luck to the guys who are giving Peterborough another soul music venue with a twist, me I'll be over at Stamford with Poke and Smudge as per usual.

Enjoy the Challenge. :thumbsup:

Hi Mate its nothing to do with Ken Cox I still havent forgiven him for banning me from St Ives All Nighter for dealing!!! :D:thumbsup::D .No its not what you think ,at that time I was employed by him to D.J. in the Oldies room(oh how things have changed) but I was also heavily into record dealing and I was the first (and at that time the only person) to take a portable record player with them)and as usual had set up at the back of the foyer with a few boxes .As usual people queued up all nite to borrow it to listen to sounds from all the other dealers boxes inc Kens own selection of the latest bootlegs and Muriel Day releases,I think he must have had a slow night and he made me pack up and threw me out accusing me setting up in competition with him !!!! Funny when you look back and now everyone has player with them which is of course better for everyone!!

Hi Mate Im really sorry that it works out this way but with only 4 Fridays per month and so many promotions taking place now it is unfortunately going to happen more and more I am sorry that the forums on this site seem to develop into political arguments and cause more fragmentation of this scene we all love.Let me just tell you when I first started to DJ 30 years ago I started my own Soul Nite in Spalding in a village hall just outside the town I was on a hiding to nothing as at that time the Horseshoe Bar was open in the town cenre 3 nights a week with free admission playing Northern Soul,But we stuck at it and had a loyal following a I took a 14 year old lad from Holbeach with me everytime to help and he did a spot each time ,his name is Andy Rix the rest as they say is history.

Back to the subject of promotions we did the first of our recent promotions in Spalding 12 years ago way ahead of the tidal wave of events that do take place at a venue called Springfields which was a great success,but due to our work commitments etc ther were too few events to follow before the venue was redeveloped.We have searched for venues and found that the only dates available fall the same as other local events and so during the last to years in Spalding(Y2 Soul )we have only managed to promote 2 events the first at the Vista clashed with Barrowby and Stamford and obviously we blew money,the last one at the Sugarbeet was on May bank holiday which I didnt fancy but nothing was on locally was a terrific success.so we tried to book another date carefully working around other promotions only to find that the venue was already booked on every suitable dtae fotr the rest of this year! With people all asking when is the next event what do you do just give up again????

I was asked to join this promotion to run the modern soul room as myself and Kev Laws are trying to start a venue somewhere in East Angia where people can enjoy a wider choice of Crossover 70s and Modern Soul we jumped at the chance,We also live 30 miles from Peterborough (in the opposite direction to you)and our following is obviously from this area so I hope that you will not feel that we are trying to steal your crowd (or anyone elses)I am sorry that this first event also clashes with Stamford (Poke was a guest for me way back in 1977 at the village hall nr Spalding) and Im sure he realises that no animosity is meant on our part .

steve

I am sorry that the forums on this site seem to develop into political arguments and cause more fragmentation of this scene we all love.

:thumbsup: Dont get that at all

Thanks for the history lesson, cant really see what any of its got to do with dates but there you go.

wont say no more on the subject as its on your thread for you night.

:thumbsup: Dont get that at all

Thanks for the history lesson, cant really see what any of its got to do with dates but there you go.

================

I get it. I think he's saying stick with something and if it's good enough it'll be a success. As for the dates, unless the do is a mid-weeker, it's always going to clash with something.

Good luck with the night Steve :D

================

I get it. I think he's saying stick with something and if it's good enough it'll be a success. As for the dates, unless the do is a mid-weeker, it's always going to clash with something.

Good luck with the night Steve whistling.gif

Thanks for the nice comment,got it in one huh.gif:lol::D:huh:

whistling.gif Dont get that at all

Thanks Baz I dont want to bore anyone but I just dont want anyone thinking were just a bunch of bandwagon jumpers!!!

Thanks Baz sorry to bore you but i didnt want you to think that we are a bunch of bandwagon jumpers!!

Thanks Baz sorry to bore you but i didnt want you to think that we are a bunch of bandwagon jumpers!!

Hi youve all gone quiet although I see plenty of you are reading this!! Myself and Kev Laws will be at Prestatyn this weekend playing in the modern/crossover room come and say hello if youre going ph34r.gifph34r.gif:huh:

Hi youve all gone quiet although I see plenty of you are reading this!! Myself and Kev Laws will be at Prestatyn this weekend playing in the modern/crossover room come and say hello if youre going :yes::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi with just one week to go before our first event I thought I would give you all a quick update .Kev laws and myself would like to thank everyone that we met whilst DJing last weekend at Prestatyn for their kind words and encouragement for this event .Whilst we were in Wales Stef and Coops were busy at the St Ives anniversary where they signed up 200 members for our newly reformed East Anglian Soul Club !!!!

Looks like interest is building nicely for our first City Club event Fridat 27th Oct for full details a map etc etc visit our website www.eastangliansoulclub.org

Remember its a quality soul 2 room event, modern room guest ANDY DAVIES northern room guests IAN GEE and PADDY GRADY .

Looking forward to seeing you there

Steve

Good Luck Guys in the rebirth of East Anglian Soul Club :yes: Gonna be a big thing but ya know that already, Looking forward to the first night and also guesting in November. x

Thanks Dawn also looking forwaed to seeing you down here, your one one the first guests coops asked abd there are many many more to come,ps good luck with girls on top (ps Sam Evans will be a guest in the modern room soon)

Best Steve

thumbsup.gif:D Im very pleased to report a big buzz on the very first of our monthly promotions(last Friday of each month) the date being Friday 27th October 2006. The venue is a very plush ex gentlemans smoking club that is really impressive ,it boasts 2 rooms 1Classic Northern the other East Anglias only dedicated Crossover and Modern room that will run on a regular monthly basis,Northern room residents are Martin Stanford,Marcus reid and Mick Cooper this months guests are Ian Gee and Paddy Grady. The Modern Room residents are Steve Jay and Kev Laws with this months special guest East Anglian Legend Andy Davies.The event runs from 7.30 til 2a.m. admission just £5 .As myself and Kev have the job of running the Modern side of things we just want to be sure that everyone is aware of this exciting new project and trust that we can rely on your support,when is the last time Andy Davies played locally probably Frames!!! So please pass the word you can contact me on (0795 6677228) or check out the website www.playsforplaytime.org and click on the East Anglian Soul Club link.See ya there!!!!

:P AT LAST A VENUE WITH TWO ROOMS,THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS SO LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN.HAVING SEEN KEV AND STEVE AT THE SANDBOY (KINGSLYNN) LAST NIGHT (20 OCT) YOU JUST KNOW IT WILL BE QUALITY SOUL THROUGH OUT AND WHEN YOU ADD ANDY DAVIES, THE MODERN/CROSSOVER IS TRUELY SORTED. WITH COOPS ORGANISING THE NORTHERN ROOM IT REALLY IS A NITE FOR ALL TASTES, SO LETS FORGET THE POLITICS AND JUST ENJOY THE SOUL. SEE YOU FRIDAY ROB. (SPALDING)

GOOD LUCK to Steve and the boys...I'm so desperate to show my support that I will be dropping in after The Stamford Soul Night to raise my glass to you all. Hope you all have a cracking night...

Any ideas where to park at that time of night in Poshie land City centre?

Edited by PaulDonely

GOOD LUCK to Steve and the boys...I'm so desperate to show my support that I will be dropping in after The Stamford Soul Night to raise my glass to you all. Hope you all have a cracking night...

Any ideas where to park at that time of night in Poshie land City centre?

Paul many thanks for your kind words we look forward to seeing you .As for parking I really dont know youre from Peterborough you should be able to tel me :lol:biggrin.gif:huh::P

Once again Paul many thanks

Steve

Paul many thanks for your kind words we look forward to seeing you .As for parking I really dont know youre from Peterborough you should be able to tel me :huh::P:D:(

Once again Paul many thanks

Steve

will do the same, go to stamford first then will attend on my way home, looking

forward to it :lol: will have tickets for our allnighter at st.ives 28th december if anyone is

interested wink.gif

russ

L.E.L SOUL CLUB, ST.IVES, CAMBS "ALLNIGHTER" 28TH DECEMBER 9 - 6AM

MICK H, ARTHUR FENN, KENNY BURRELL, CARL FORTNUM, BAZ BOND plus res djs

steve phillis, russ holley, tony warot & nogsy see events

Choice is no bad thing tho Baz. We got soul has it's regulars but I don't particularly care for the venue so I rarely bother going. I have a mate who lives in Stamford who is teetering on the edge of entering the soul scene so I may drag him along to Stamford, where he lives. As a fellow Cobblers fan, we can also take the p*ss out of Mr Donnelly! :lol:

will do the same, go to stamford first then will attend on my way home, looking

forward to it thumbsup.gif will have tickets for our allnighter at st.ives 28th december if anyone is

interested wink.gif

russ

L.E.L SOUL CLUB, ST.IVES, CAMBS "ALLNIGHTER" 28TH DECEMBER 9 - 6AM

MICK H, ARTHUR FENN, KENNY BURRELL, CARL FORTNUM, BAZ BOND plus res djs

steve phillis, russ holley, tony warot & nogsy see events

thanks for that Russ was talking to Steve on friday at Bawsey good luck with the niter

steve

Trying to reply to Rob Elsey but is a fault on the reply link Thanks to the Spalding crowd for their loyal support I thought I would remind you all that I am a guest on Tulip FM(Spalding area only )on Sweetsouls Andy Jackson show betwwen 8 - 10pm,to spin some nice tunes and talk about this new event.

Best Steve

Having seen lots of photos by coops I'm desperately trying to convince Lindsay to come up with me this Friday! It's a good 2.5 hour drive for us but it sounds fantastic and I've not had a good dose of soul for a while biggrin.gif

Having seen lots of photos by coops I'm desperately trying to convince Lindsay to come up with me this Friday! It's a good 2.5 hour drive for us but it sounds fantastic and I've not had a good dose of soul for a while biggrin.gif

Thanks for the pm I am a little upset myself even more more so to see it repeated on another forum on this site,as regards your coming over on friday to Peterborough we would love to see hope you can make it

Best Steve

Hi Stef here helping Coops with this one, if your early you can park outside if not then there is parking down side of building

and if you're late there is a car park behind the Museum which is 2min walk from the City Club... :rolleyes:

Looking thru the thread there is a couple of points I would like to make, Coops was looking for a certain type of venue the could take the two rooms with high quality facilities, nice chilling lounge, good atmosphere, I told him about the City Club and unfortunately the last Friday were the only dates available at the time, i know Coops would love to tweak the dates as he is very dedicated to working with other promotors and the owner of the club understands and is trying to help.

Ken Cox , although now retired is not too actively involved but he is on a percentage of memorabilia profits :D , he has just married a young Thai bride and is hoping to get back in time for the first event to meet some old faces, also I would add that when Ken was into Glen Miller type bands it was Coops who introduced him into the potential of Northern Soul and Ken had just put a big band promo on at St Ives and combined the two, the rest is history,Coops was Kens unofficial right hand man hand and should carry the mantle.

Personally I look forward to meeting Ken to see if the night I got on stage with Major Lance at Bourne I was singing with a Fake! and Paul Donnelly (the origonal EASC/Phoenix)may wish to shake hands and talk about old times :rolleyes: ???

anyway look forward to seeing everyone there, just heard mini buses from Mansfield and Lincoln are coming down

Karen,

Priestgate, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE1 1JL

Nick

and if Tom Tom plays up..

From the A1M/A605 interchange onto Fletton Parkway - A1139 (signposted Peterborough, Wisbech) A1139

0.29 Immediately take right-hand lanes (signposted City Centre) A1139

0.22 Continue forward onto Fletton Parkway - A1139. Entering Peterborough A1139

1.78 Leave Fletton Parkway - A1139 at junction 3, then at roundabout take the 1st exit onto Nene Parkway - A1260 (signposted Sleaford A15, City Centre) A1260

1.60 Leave Nene Parkway - A1260 at junction 33, then at roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A1179 (signposted City Centre) A1179

1.19 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A1179 (signposted City Centre) A1179

0.88 At roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A15 (signposted Rivergate Centre, Whittlesey A605) A15

Take 1st left after Evening Telegraph building, you are now in Priestgate after 100m Museum on right, turn Right into Trinity Street, Council car park on right at bottom.

after parking car head back up to Priestgate 30METERS turn right walk down street City Club on left 50METERS. Arrive at PE1 1LF,Peterborough

Us Posh bloke are just sooooooooooooooooo helpful :rolleyes:

I can't drive and look at directions biggrin.gif We normally accost pedestrians if we really get lost :D

as long as you are fluent in Kosovan, Polish or Lithuanian you'll be fine. wink.gif

as long as you are fluent in Kosovan, Polish or Lithuanian you'll be fine. wink.gif

Yeah your`ll be alright when your in there just Italians and best of all Ukraines( but weve lived hear all our lives so were Brits now)

Is Nick G for Gilbert if so hello mate hope to see you there if not hello anyway and still hope to see you there

Stef Malajny

Trying to reply to Rob Elsey but is a fault on the reply link Thanks to the Spalding crowd for their loyal support I thought I would remind you all that I am a guest on Tulip FM(Spalding area only )on Sweetsouls Andy Jackson show betwwen 8 - 10pm,to spin some nice tunes and talk about this new event.

Best Steve

looking foward to this steve should be a good night.

hope you enjoy the radio ,

rupert

and if Tom Tom plays up..

From the A1M/A605 interchange onto Fletton Parkway - A1139 (signposted Peterborough, Wisbech) A1139

0.29 Immediately take right-hand lanes (signposted City Centre) A1139

0.22 Continue forward onto Fletton Parkway - A1139. Entering Peterborough A1139

1.78 Leave Fletton Parkway - A1139 at junction 3, then at roundabout take the 1st exit onto Nene Parkway - A1260 (signposted Sleaford A15, City Centre) A1260

1.60 Leave Nene Parkway - A1260 at junction 33, then at roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A1179 (signposted City Centre) A1179

1.19 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A1179 (signposted City Centre) A1179

0.88 At roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A15 (signposted Rivergate Centre, Whittlesey A605) A15

Take 1st left after Evening Telegraph building, you are now in Priestgate after 100m Museum on right, turn Right into Trinity Street, Council car park on right at bottom.

after parking car head back up to Priestgate 30METERS turn right walk down street City Club on left 50METERS. Arrive at PE1 1LF,Peterborough

Us Posh bloke are just sooooooooooooooooo helpful :yes:

HI Paul still wondering why you asked me where to park but Ive sussed it now you were just having a larf!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

You city boys are just so sharp us poor country boys take a little longer to catch on,Im not bothered as long as theres room to park the tractor :lol::D:D:lol::yes:

a few nice bonuses for everyone attending

Free cd with some great tunes on

Free pizza voucher for the Soul Surf Cafe, great pizzas and great music(Dean loved it there)

A promo dvd of Velvelettes and Pheonix Anniversary with Dean Parrish live at the college( see where all friends after all these years arnt we Paul)

All the night will be recorded and then played as live recordings

Me trying to outdance Carl Piper in the dancing comp smile.gif

lots of old faces there

Check it out , you know it makes sense

Glad I'm coming now... I love pizza :thumbsup: Lindsay shall be the South Coast's entry into the dance competition - move aside Piper :lol:

oh chuckle chuckle laugh.gif Think thats more your cuppa tea :rolleyes:

Think that may be about the time my Tena Ladies fail me and need changing...yeh i know little tooo much info there!! Getting me coat and checking out

Edited by Lindsay
Guest just mo

Looking foward to playing early doors in the modern/crossover room. Got some great lesser known/heard 60's and cool crossover. Be early!

Mick & Mo. Skegness.